Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

4 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Unusual Feeding Behavior

I've got a male normal that is about 6 months old and has ALWAYS eaten like a champ. I feed him f/t mice on a 5 day basis. 3 weeks ago he has started constricting the mouse when I give it to him, but he never actually eats it. Tonight was the third mouse that he has done this to. I grabbed the mouse with my tongs and he struck at my hand which is also very unlike him. He's usually my most docile and best eating snake. So any ideas? Why would a BP continually constrict but not eat the mouse?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Unusual Feeding Behavior

Hi,

It's most often a security issue - are you hovering over him watching him to see if he eats?

Try leaving the room once he has it in his coils and give him a good 15 minutes before checking on him again.

Or you can also try re-offering him the mouse (heat the head up a bit again first) to see if he will strike and constrict it agaiun and hopefully eat it.

You can also try heating the head more initially but if he is striking that probably isn't it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have a hard time believing that my snake is having security issues while eating. That was actually my first thought too, but I've definitely ruled it out. Typically, he constricts the mouse as soon as he sees it. And once he constricts, I put his tub back into the rack. So nothing is essentially bothering him. And just to make sure that wasn't the issue, last night when I fed I left the room and turned off the lights once he constricted. Still nothing....

Any other ideas???

Thanks

Tis the season for breeding and so maybe your guy is just feeling that

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

maybe try scenting the food, but its wierd that he starts to take it then doesnt eat it...I have yet to see my ball have picky feedings yet.... *knocking on wood*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

SVICKS,

LOL, I used to think I was lucky because my BPs all have a very strong feeding response. They don't waste anytime striking and eating... UNTIL now!! Lol...

My now problem snake has always been my best eater, so I figure I'll try another week or two with offering him his typical f/t mouse. If he continues to be a jerk, I'll toss a live mouse in there... That should do the trick.