Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,815

0 members and 2,815 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

DIY Rheostat (dimmer) for temp control

While a proportional thermostat (helix, herpstat, etc.) with a backup on/off thermostat (ranco, johnson controls, etc.) is usually best for any herp setup not everyone wants to go down that path or has the money to do so.

Alot of times I see new keepers with entry level on/off thermostats that alone in my opinion just aren't enough piece of mind for your animal(s) and vary temps too much as the heating source is either fully ON or fully OFF, no happy medium. Also on/off thermostats or proportional thermostats can fail in the on position, hence the need for redundancy by having a backup. If you ONLY have a proportional thermostat or one on/off thermostat you run the risk of the unit failing and potentially harming your collection no matter what brand they are. They all run the risk of failing. So always have a backup.

For an affordable and reliable alternative to two on/off thermostats or a proportional thermostat and on/off thermostat backup, you can use a rheostat with an on/off thermostat as a backup.

The most affordable and what I would consider bare minimum for anyone keeping herps is a rheostat/dimmer in combination with a lower end on/off thermostat (500r, bah-1000, etc.). This setup to me is safer than a proportional (helix, etc) or on/off (ranco,etc.) alone.

With this setup the easiest rheostat to use is at your local Walmart or almost any superstore for around $10. A in-line dimmer switch:

Entry level on/off thermostats can be found at a number of herp stores such as Big Apple Herp, Bean Farm, or even at reptile shows for around $30. (I apologize that I don't have a pic as I use Rancos or Johnson Controls on/off thermostats only)

Setup is fairly simple. Using just the dimmer set the temp to a couple degrees warmer than your desired temp. Think of this as the MAX temp you ever want your heat tape/rope to get for your herps. Then connect the dimmer to your on/off thermostat and then set the on/off thermostat to your desired temp. If either one should fail in the ON position the other is the backup and in most situations due to how they are structured the rheostat doesn't fail in the ON position.

Keep in mind the rheostat is setting the maximum amount of heat provided on the tape or heat rope. So if for instance you set it in the summer when the room is warm when winter comes and the room cools down you might need to adjust the dimmer to hit your desired temp.

Now something a bit more complicated. What if you have a rack system and ALOT of flexwatt or heat rope connected to an on/off thermostat and you want to use a dimmer with your on/off thermostat?

I personally like using an on/off in combination with a rheostat for all my hatchlings and subadults. The rheostat makes for a smoother temperature curve and also helps to keep my electircal bills down as the heat tape isn't going fully ON when the on/off kicks in, thus using less electricity.

The problem with the dimmer model above is that most models are limited to 300w. While this really corresponds to quite a bit of heat rope/flexwatt sometimes more is needed for a full rack system.

For situations like this I personally like to spend a few dollars more and make my own dimmer/rheostat.

Most items can be picked up at your local Lowes or Home Depot and putting it together is easier than you might think.

Here is what you'll need.

Supplies:
    single gang work box <$1
    work box cover <$1
    single pole dimmer switch(600w is common but 1000w is also available) <$10
    6ft extension cord <$2 (grounded versions cost ~$8)
    Total = $14 ($20 grounded)

Tools:
    wire cutter/stripper
    philips screwdriver
    3 electrical caps (usually come with the dimmer)
    utility knife (or a razor blade)
    electrical tape

First cut the extension cord in 1/2.
    Then pop two inlets into the work box using the screwdriver and thread in the wire.
    Using the utility knife separate the wires.

Find the "hot" wires connected to the wider plug (polarized) end of both the female and male ends and strip the wires. (note: the wires usually have some indicator to denote one from the other, usually markings or ridges)
    Using the wire caps and the dimmer connect one lead on the dimmer to one wire and the other lead to the other on the dimmer. Essentially causing the "hot" wire to pass through the dimmer.
    Next strip the other two "neutral" wires.

Connect the "neutral" wires to each other with the 3rd wire cap. Essentially connecting them back together.
    It should now look like this:

If you are using an extension cord with a ground wire you would connect the two grounds to the ground on the dimmer with a wire cap. After all caps are in place secure the caps and the ground wire (if left bare) with electrical tape.

Next pull some of the wire back through the work box and put the dimmer in the box.
    Screw it in place with the included screws with the dimmer.

Lastly put the face plate over the dimmer to give it a nice clean look.

After getting everything together plug a light into the dimmer to be sure that it can turn the light off and on as well as dim the light using the dimmer. If it works you are all set.

Here is a pic of a grounded version I made. The extension cord is slightly more expensive but well worth it for working with grounded on/off thermostats.

I hope all of this information helps. If anything to get people to use backups because no matter how much you spend on a thermostat without redundancy there is a chance it could fail and harm your animals.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by JD Constriction; 11-09-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: typos
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jdconstriction
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/jdconstriction
    Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/jdconstriction

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JD Constriction For This Useful Post:

cmack91 (11-26-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: DIY Rheostat (dimmer) for temp control

This setup works perfect, I use a similar version for my heating setup for feeders!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Fantastic guide! I'll have to build one this weekend!

Thanks

Thanks for the guide......these are very useful if you cant get a thermostat in quickly before the cold front....lol

Thanks

Made my dimmer switch but it does not work, first time i pluged it in it blew the breaker to the house. Fixed the mixed up wires then pluged it in and nothing with regular lamps but will turn my baby monitor on and off. Does nothing when hooked to the flex watt.

What did i do wrong?

Thanks

Could I have ruined the dimmer switch.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cane View Post
    Could I have ruined the dimmer switch.
    It sounds like the dimmer switch is bad and you wired it wrong.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    It sounds like the dimmer switch is bad and you wired it wrong.
    Seconded. I think the dimmer is toast.

Thanks

I've been trying to understand this for a while now and still now 100% on this. At the moment I have my heating sources on a dimmer, if i see a low temp, i turn it up, if I see a high temp in the tank, i turn them down. So essentially this is all he that is being accomplished in this thread is the construction of a dimmer for more then one light.

Now is their a way I could have my heat sources to heat the tank to a certain temperature and then stop? Just like on my fish tank, heater turns on if temp drops below 24 and turns off if tank is above 25, is this acheivable for a BP tank?

Thanks

The prebuilt dimmers (e.g. walmart $10 mentioned above) can goto one or more devices if you plug in an extension cord.

The real limitation with the walmart model is that you can only have so many devices hooked up to it before you overload the dimmer (up to 300w worth).

For about the same money as the pre-built model you can build your own that will handle twice as much wattage (600w).

Really the walmart model is best for most small applications but I like to build things rather than buy sometimes. That and I wanted a dimmer with a ground plug for my 1500w ranco on/off thermostat.

For what you want you would need a thermostat (on/off or proportional) to shut the heat off at a certain temp and turn it back on again when it cools off. The dimmer basically just keeps the same temp difference.....not the same temp.

So if you have an 80 degree room and set the dimmer so that the hot spot is 90 degrees the dimmer essentially is set to +10 degrees.

So if the room heats up to 85 degrees then the hot spot will change to approximately 95 degrees if you don't change anything on the dimmer....same +10 degrees

Hope that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by ride_gnu View Post
    I've been trying to understand this for a while now and still now 100% on this. At the moment I have my heating sources on a dimmer, if i see a low temp, i turn it up, if I see a high temp in the tank, i turn them down. So essentially this is all he that is being accomplished in this thread is the construction of a dimmer for more then one light.

Now is their a way I could have my heat sources to heat the tank to a certain temperature and then stop? Just like on my fish tank, heater turns on if temp drops below 24 and turns off if tank is above 25, is this acheivable for a BP tank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast