Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,573

2 members and 1,571 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

View Poll Results: what monitor should i get?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • argus monitor

5 35.71%
  • savannah monitor

9 64.29%
  • white throat monitor

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what monitor?

Thanks

Re: what monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    You aren't getting the point he is trying to give you, he isn't missing your point at all.
    No reptile wants to be handled. But we took the little steps in handling that docile reptiles do not really mind if they are being handled.
    Skip five posts back to where I tell you that's bad advice. I'd like to see you try "handling sessions" with an angry Argus.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allergenic View Post
    Skip five posts back to where I tell you that's bad advice. I'd like to see you try "handling sessions" with an angry Argus.
    I bet I can work with it by taking small steps to make than angry Sav into a more less aggressive one. I wouldn't guarantee it would be docile, just like I don't ever guarantee I can make any angry snake docile. I've worked with aggressive reptiles before, and I know certain things I can do where I don't put myself in a bad situation neither do I put the reptile in a bad situation.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

You missed my point. If a monitor doesn't want to be held, and you are holding it, you are force-handling. Whether it's for 5 minutes or 5 seconds, you are still force-handling.

Bad advice for the OP, all around. Aren't you the same guy who said above that Savs don't need deep substrate?
    Must be missing eachother's point I suppose.

...as for the deep substrates...I feel you already know the answer...so why ask?

You just have to accept the fact that some folks hold different opinions on the husbandry requirements of various species. You apparently have had little luck in the taming of Savs...

It may blow your mind, however with the right technique...which does not include restraining the animal against it's will...one can tame a Sav...

You can carry on with your rebuttal however I am done with this thread as I am not one to force my ideas on another...

HA.
    ____JOSHUA____
    ______
    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!

Kansas City Chiefs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerhart For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (02-08-2010)

Thanks

I bet I can work with it by taking small steps to make than angry Sav into a more less aggressive one. I wouldn't guarantee it would be docile, just like I don't ever guarantee I can make any angry snake docile. I've worked with aggressive reptiles before, and I know certain things I can do where I don't put myself in a bad situation neither do I put the reptile in a bad situation.
    Wow, and you learned all this from being around your sister's Sav and not owning any monitors? I'll have to admit, I'm quite impressed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerhart View Post
    You just have to accept the fact that some folks hold different opinions on the husbandry requirements of various species. You apparently have had little luck in the taming of Savs...
    I've only had luck getting monitors to trust me through respecting their space and allowing interactions to be on the monitor's terms and not mine, so what do I know?

It may blow your mind, however with the right technique...which does not include restraining the animal against it's will...one can tame a Sav...
    Does it involve drowning the animal in a bathtub and playing rescuer? This is starting to sound eerily familiar.

You can carry on with your rebuttal however I am done with this thread as I am not one to force my ideas on another...

HA.
    This thread was done from the first minute the poll was posted.

Thanks

Wow, and you learned all this from being around your sister's Sav and not owning any monitors? I'll have to admit, I'm quite impressed.
    I did all of her research for her, talked to some people who had/have Savs, and even cared after the Sav when she asked me to. I've had a lot more experience with snakes than lizards, but I am nutorious for researching stuff about any type of reptile. You are taking both of our posts too seriously and too offensively, so I am also done with this thread because I definitely don't want to be talking to someone who is explaining their thoughts in a very rude, offensive way.

Peace.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

You are taking both of our posts too seriously and too offensively, so I am also done with this thread because I definitely don't want to be talking to someone who is explaining their thoughts in a very rude, offensive way.
    I find that there are "widely accepted" practices in the reptile pet trade that are simply incorrect, handling a monitor into submission to get it to calm down is one of them. In medium to slightly larger species such as Argus, which the OP was discussing acquiring, advice like that will prove extremely dangerous for both monitor and keeper, and could result in serious injury for the OP.

At 14 years of age, I don't think you perhaps have enough experience to have thought that through. If disagreeing with these "widely accepted" practices and pointing out bad advice like that makes me rude and offensive, I simply don't know what to tell you.

Thanks

To the OP, I would save your money and get the monitor you REALLY want. If it costs twice as much, who cares? After you figure the cost of housing & feeding it, the extra cost of the animal you want is really a small concern, unless of course it's outrageously expensive.

Not trying to hijack this thread; I noticed no one has voted for white throats, are they not good monitors to keep? I have one available to me and it's a beautiful specimen so I'm curious.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nadamamasboy View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread; I noticed no one has voted for white throats, are they not good monitors to keep? I have one available to me and it's a beautiful specimen so I'm curious.
    If someone is posting a poll asking which monitor to get, chances are strong they are young, inexperienced with monitors, or both. An Albig is way too much monitor for someone who hasn't kept a monitor before, and even many who have. The caging requirements alone are tough enough, let alone the physical injury an inexperienced keeper is likely to sustain from trying to deal with a monitor that size.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nice to see people arguing over a thread that is well over a year
    Deborah Stewart

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast