Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,847

0 members and 1,847 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Hybrid View

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ASF Breeders, Look here!!

Hey there!

I already asked 'mcavana' and he gave me some good advice but I figured I'd branch this question out to anyone breeding ASFs.

I recently picked up a trio of ASFs because I'm in college and simply couldn't stand the smell of mice in my apartment anymore! I've read plenty of info about ASFs and they seem to be doing well in their environment.

My question is regarding your production. Because they are aggressive and you can't simply pull the male out when you want to limit production of babies like you could with mice/rats, how do you slow down or limit future production? I only need the ASFs for my small collection of snakes, so I don't want to become overrun with ASFs because of their large birth numbers and their back to back breeding. Any tips of ideas of how to keep from getting over run? (My only idea is to feed one of my adult females off once I see that the other is successful at breeding)

My other question is regarding how you raise your ASFs... Do you simply pull the weanlings out at a month old and separate the boys into one tub and the girls into another?

How do you then pair up new trios, or does it not matter because of their youth?

Any other insight you could give from your ASF experience would be greatly appreciated!

I love these things compared to mice!! No smell at all!!!

Thanks,
    Mitch

Thanks

Re: ASF Breeders, Look here!!

When I get too many I feed my asf eaters 2-3 times what they would normally eat but only smaller. You could also try selling trio's locally when you start getting extras, they seem easy to sell.

Richard
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

Thanks

If you start getting too many just give the extra away to pet stores. Or freeze them and sell.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

advice you have gotten so far sounds familiar!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I pull babies at about 4-5 weeks old and place them in holding bins. I do not seperate them by sex but you could. As they get older sometimes you get lucky and there is a prego in the "eat me" tub. At that point if I need to replace a trio I take her another female and male all from the same holding tub and place them in a clean tub in the breeding rack.

If you ever do get "over run" with asf and you don't want to give them away, sell them or freeze them you could always get more snakes!