Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

1 members and 3,232 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Damn Mice!!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Damn Mice!!!

So after waiting for a bunch of my mice to grow up and breed, I finally received my first litter today. However, it was a super disappointing night... I had a litter of 9 babies of which only one is still alive. Hopefully the mother can manage to raise this one baby up.

The good news is that I have another preggo female that should pop any day now. So we'll see if the same thing happens with her. Hopefully not!

The other good news is that I picked up a 1.2 of ASFs last week, and it looks like one of my girls if pregnant! So that will hopefully be a better project than the mice were... I just couldn't stand the smell of the mice in my closet anymore! I had to switch to the ASFs!!

Thanks

Re: Damn Mice!!!

That sucks. I just had a rat lose 12 freaking babies, I don't know what happened. Counted them and the next day there were no babies at all.

I've had good luck with my mice *knock on wood* but they do reek. I use aspen supreme pellets and clean cages every 4 days or so and it's helped a lot.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that. Rodent breeding is not always a sure thing.

With mice, making sure they have a good protein source in their diet is a key to avoiding loss of babies...at least by cannibalism. But it still happens now and then, especially if the babies were sick or weak to start with. The fact that these are first time moms is also a big factor.

Well, hope you can get things going better soon.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks guys... Like I said though, I'm scratching the mice breeding and am only keeping the ASFs.. The no smell factor is AMAZING since I have to keep them in my apartment room...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

So I just checked the mice and all the mice from the first mother are dead/gone. And the second mother apparently birthed her litter today but there are no babies in sight... Stupid mice...

Whatever.. Aside from my ASFs biting me, I already love them way more than the smelly mice...

Thanks

I must have had alot of luck with my strain of mice that I got. On the 5th day me and my gf got a visit from her mother and grandmother (this was the day i intended to clean the cages on) and I asked them if they could smell anything other than the usual rodent smell. Seeing as me and the gf are in the smell constantly our judgement might not be trusted 100%. But they said that they couldn't smell anything, well they could smell that we had rodents but no ill odeur (spelling?) or anything, and I got 18 of the little buggers...