Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,744

0 members and 2,744 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Our snakey ambassador.....

Friday night was Halloween as I'm sure you all know, and around here the weather was lovely. It was the warmest it has ever been on Halloween since we moved here. I was glad, I love beggers night, and love passing out candy and seeing all of the cute kids in costumes.
    My husband and I were sitting on the porch passing out candy and I grumbled that I had been busy enough I hadn't handled a snake that day. I, as a joke, suggested that my husband go get Dax and let him pass out candy with us. Paul thought I was serious and did so. It was so warm Dax was quite happy.
    I was concerned about the reactions, but most of the kids were amazed and so were a few adults. The kids asked questions, petted him, and in general were very interested. Dax was a very well behaved gentleman for the entire thing. I didn't have any negative reactions, although we knew we could and were prepared for them.
    I hope that we were able to change a few minds or at least encourage tolerance.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Our snakey ambassador.....

thats great your weather was nice and ours in ohio was also and it is good to see people were interested in your snake and asked questions so some of your community will know not all snakes are out to hurt them lol. the one thing i would NOT have done would have been allowing all of the small and large dirty hands petting my animal. i do not allow anyone to touch my animals without sanitizing their hands first due to bacteria issues and a few others. im not flaming you for doing so because i think it was a great idea to allow kids to interact with it and see what wonderful pets a reptile can make and i would have done the same but i would have made all of them sanitize their hands first lol, i am very cautious with my babys.

Thanks

Hey...we did the same thing. Alice was very good boy and the few kids we had were really cool about it, except for the pair that never even noticed him around my neck. The boy is 3 ft long...how could you miss that?

It was fun. I have to agree with hand sanitizer though and had some in my pocket

Robbin

1.1 Normal Ball Pythons (Alice Cooper & Charger)
    1.0 Normal BCI (Vincent)
    1.0 Texas Rat Snake (Checkers)
    1.0 Kingsnake (Skunk)
    1.0 Western Hognose (Piglet)
    0.2 Bearded Dragons (Sunshine and Sandy)
    1.0 Blue-Tongue Skink (Rascal)
    1.0 Pyxie Frog (Pickle)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Gator)
    0.2 Pomeranians (Dixie and Lacy)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I did have hand sanitizer, I just forgot to mention it. I have a little bottle of it that I keep in my purse and then just refill from the big bottle in the kitchen. The kids didn't seem to mind either, as long as they got to pet the snake.
    I agree, I'm careful with my babies as well. We also take snakes to the local petsmart on the weekends and my husband and I each have a bottle in our pockets.

Thanks

A question popped into my head while reading this thead.

Do you think excessive use of the hand sanatizer by people touching could affect the snake? Either like a poison or as a drying agent (I know alchohol based stuff dries my skin out).

I'm taking a snake to my speech class on tuesday and was kinda worried about people germs on my snake and snake germs on people. Then I found some hand sanatizer and now I'm worried about sanatizer on snake skin.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

yeah i did the same thing i had my snake and would walk to the door and loved to hear the kids reactions "WOAH A SNAKE" haha of course here in nj its nice and cold so i had to keep her in the house