Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,220

2 members and 2,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: I got a filly!

Thanks

I got a filly!

WHOOP!

Last night one of my adult friends called me up absolutely ecstatic. She said her coworker has a filly he's looking to sell. So, curious ol' me, I give the guy a call.

I am now the overly happy owner of a:

1 1/2 year old, unpapered, QH Filly.

I've been considering getting a QH for a while now, since I want to do barrels/poles and the such. Not serious competition, but for fun. I think this little girl fits the bill perfectly.

Right now, I will admit, she is fugly. She has a big grass belly, and overall is scrawny and ungroomed. But, never judge a book by it's cover, I can already see this little horse on my own land, plumping up on fresh grass, good hay, and a bit of grain.
    The guy doesn't grain and only hays when necessary. It's pretty sad. But soon she will be in a much better home.

The awesome part about the guy is that the boarding is only $25 a month and he's only a few minuets away. Pasture boarding with no extras on the outskirts of town here runs $100+.

Pictures soon!
    Someone keeps trying to access my accounts. Who are you? Just e-mail me, as that's clearly how you're finding me. Quit messing around.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I got a filly!

Congrats!!!! I can't wait for pictures.

And don't worry. The babies are always REALLY 'fugly' around 1 to 2+ years We're enjoying our beautiful fillies while they're still cute and cuddly (5 months old). Plus it doesn't help that the poor thing didn't have proper nutrition. That will cause a horse to not shed properly and have a partial winter coat all year round. I found that out personally when I went to visit a 'friend's' horses in the dead heat of summer. So sad

And if she doesn't get pretty in the next year don't worry! They don't fully grow into themselves until they are about 5 years old! I'm sure she's gorgeous underneath it all!

Thanks

Congrats!

where are the pics????

Thanks

I SHOULD be getting pictures on Tuesday or Wensday if my dad has time to drive me out to were she is (he works weekdays, but the guy is only off work on Tuesdays and Wensdays)

She has so much potential x) I can't wait till my fences are finally up
    Someone keeps trying to access my accounts. Who are you? Just e-mail me, as that's clearly how you're finding me. Quit messing around.

Thanks

Pictures are important. However I have to comment that not graining or haying isn't a bad thing. I kept barrel horses on just pasture with no problems. It's the quality of the forage that's key.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Pictures are important. However I have to comment that not graining or haying isn't a bad thing. I kept barrel horses on just pasture with no problems. It's the quality of the forage that's key.
    Visits have been postponed until next week because of work, so it'll be a while before pics (We would have gone, but my dad and brother are trying to get as much work done on a roof before it rains tonight, so no visiting)

Overall, I am not impressed with this guys pasture at all. In addition to the filly, he has a young gelding with a HORRID limp. This guy is seriously moving wrong, such as, his hindquarters drop a LOT on one side when he walks. The owner said he got a rock in his hoof not to long ago. This gelding is in with the filly.
    In another pasture is a huge 16hh Thoroughbred gelding. He's muscular boy, a real impressive horse, but you can see his ribs.
    I've heard of how some Thoroughbreds can be tougher to keep weight on, but I feel pretty sorry for the guy. He looks like something you would do some tough show work with.
    Also in the pasture with the Thoroughbred is a maybe 14hh-14.5hh, coming on three, chocolate brown QH stallion. This boy has 'once a beauty' written all over him. Now he is scrawny, has a serious skin problem (I ran my hand over his hindquarters and it feels like what my former TWH had were the hide has little bumps, not bug bites, as the hair comes off). And has some pretty messed up feet, his back hooves both point inwards (I'm not sure of the proper term for this condition)
    Overall he is a calm, friendly little comes-right-over kinda guy. I'm sure he would make a great light-work gelding after some serious TLC. The guy tried to sell him to me for $200, fifty bucks less than his original quoted price, as he was offering a 'package deal' since I was interested in the filly.
    The reason he says the stud is priced so is because of his lines. He has some Doc Bar son or grandson in there somewhere.

Whilst in conversation I asked him how much it is to geld, as I have never kept a stud, and if I were to buy the stud, he would be gelded pronto.
    He refered me to the Mennonites. He said $30 and they'll hobble him, go back there, and chop them off. (not his exact wording, but it was something along those lines)

Fences should be up by December, hopefully. I just want to get my little girl out of there. The grass on my place is good, when it's mowed. Right now it's up past your waist since it's been growing for the last two years without check.

Thanks

Be careful introducing her to good pasture. It's easy to grass founder a horse that's not used to rich grass. I'd start her out with half an hour to an hour a day for a few weeks before gradually building her up to 24/7 turnout on it. Founder is not pretty. Sounds like that QH stud has rain rot, listerine would be his friend.
    Depending on your area gelding runs 100-350. However since h has been a stud that long he could have picked up some habits that you'd be hard pressed to break.

Good luck on your girl and the fences.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Be careful introducing her to good pasture. It's easy to grass founder a horse that's not used to rich grass. I'd start her out with half an hour to an hour a day for a few weeks before gradually building her up to 24/7 turnout on it. Founder is not pretty. Sounds like that QH stud has rain rot, listerine would be his friend.
    Depending on your area gelding runs 100-350. However since h has been a stud that long he could have picked up some habits that you'd be hard pressed to break.

Good luck on your girl and the fences.
    Now I feel stupid . I completely forgot about slow introduction. I had to do it with my gelding when we moved because of the high quality of the grass he was going to be grazing on.
    We also kept another gelding a few years back. We had really rich prairie grass and alfalfa hay, we got him and three other horses from my uncle. He kept them in a really wooded-forest type area and just plopped them down on our land.
    The poor guy coliced bad within the week. He survived after surgery, the others didn't have a problem (thank god).
    I was in the third grade at the time, my dad and older brother were clueless about horses and my mom had all her life just put the horse in the pasture and let it graze, no fuss.

Now I know better

Thanks

so whatever happened with the filly????

Thanks
    Also proper worming is essential to a healthy horse. And it will help her to gain her weight back.
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Normal
    1.1 Lemon Pastels
    1.3 ASF Colony