Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,797

0 members and 2,797 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Photographing ball pythons

I have been into photography for a couple of years. I have tried most genres but would like to get into photographing small/exotic animals/ pets, starting with small snakes like BP's
    I have a BP so was thinking of getting a light tent and starting with him as a model

would this be suitable
    http://www.studio-flash.com/b-series...0cm-p-337.html

I have my own studio lights

thanks scott

Thanks

Re: Photographing ball pythons

I'm also into photography mate and often see people go on about light tents etc..tbh I find a decent lens,off camera flash with diffuser does all you need..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StuartH For This Useful Post:

scotty99 (10-31-2008)

Thanks

Couple of power compact flouro's mounted above at different angles seem to work good too....LOL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RichardA For This Useful Post:

scotty99 (10-31-2008)

Thanks

Wink Re: Photographing ball pythons

Cheers chaps, might have a play with a flash head and soft box..will using flash affect the snake, i will keep the sessions short as possible. Will try with the modeling lights first.

Stuart nice to see a fellow uk'er here, Not that i don't like conversing with our American friends

are you a breeder at all?

Thanks

Cheers mate.. I have a few bits I am hoping to breed in next year or so but not balls..My main interest is photography and I do pics for a few of the big breeders in the Uk.

Banned
    Thanks

Using a flash may effect the snakes alertness during the session, making it a bit more skittish, flighty, etc Its not something big, just spooky sometimes to them. There are some positives to using light tents. You rid the image of the light reflections in the eyes from the softboxes, brolly boxes, and umbrellas. The only downside is it restricts the angles, and somewhat effects your modeling lamps accuracy compared to the strobes flash. If you're going to buy one, why not build one? Building one, you can make one to meet "your"
    needs, and not settle for what they have. That and you can use the material you see fit. They're not that hard to make either, and cost around a 3rd the price Good luck with whatever you do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CeraDigital For This Useful Post:

scotty99 (11-14-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CeraDigital View Post
    Using a flash may effect the snakes alertness during the session, making it a bit more skittish, flighty, etc Its not something big, just spooky sometimes to them. There are some positives to using light tents. You rid the image of the light reflections in the eyes from the softboxes, brolly boxes, and umbrellas. The only downside is it restricts the angles, and somewhat effects your modeling lamps accuracy compared to the strobes flash. If you're going to buy one, why not build one? Building one, you can make one to meet "your"
    needs, and not settle for what they have. That and you can use the material you see fit. They're not that hard to make either, and cost around a 3rd the price Good luck with whatever you do.
    I've got experience with this, if the animal is used to being handled on a regular basis, they wont react to the flash. HOWEVER, if you have animals that arent handled often and live in rack systems (from my experience) they will twitch when the flash goes off. Its not painful to them, they dont strike but they almost jump. Its just because of the sudden increase in light. You'd jump too! They get used to it after a few fires though.

They do definitely restrict your angles (the tents) BUT, they also kind of help keep the snake corralled and in an area for you to photograph without getting stuff in the background.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

hoax (12-26-2008)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I've got experience with this, if the animal is used to being handled on a regular basis, they wont react to the flash. HOWEVER, if you have animals that arent handled often and live in rack systems (from my experience) they will twitch when the flash goes off. Its not painful to them, they dont strike but they almost jump. Its just because of the sudden increase in light. You'd jump too! They get used to it after a few fires though.

They do definitely restrict your angles (the tents) BUT, they also kind of help keep the snake corralled and in an area for you to photograph without getting stuff in the background.
    Even calm snakes used to being handled will freak or twitch when the strobes go off....

Saying an animal that isn't handled often, is a cheap shot. You can't handle snakes too often, or any varanid. The stress, and possibility of damage with the rate they feed leaves too big an open window for damage to occur internally, from "frequent" handlings. That, and unless you're standing there constantly flicking a light on and off, how would handling them make them less inclined to jump, twitch, bold, or tweak from studio strobes or flashes going off?...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CeraDigital For This Useful Post:

Bruce Whitehead (12-15-2008)