Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,799

2 members and 2,797 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Aquarium Background and Foam Core Insulation

So, Pandora's humidity and temps have always been stable but I decided to insulate the sides in order to regulate the ambient air temp a bit more. So here's how you use aquarium background (for aesthetic purposes) and foam core to insulate your tank. I was initially going to buy cork board and use aluminum foil under the background but small square pieces of cork board will run you $14 as appose to $2.99 for a sheet of foam core from an art supplier.

You will need: 1or2 20x30 Pieces of black foam core, roll of aquarium background big enough to cover 3 sides of your tank,*metal* ruler, pen knife/exact-o knife (use with care/adult supervision), self-healing cutting pad, *rubber cement* (not glue), sticky tack or tape, pencil, eraser, and some company/good music.

Begin by measuring your foam core to fit the back, and 2 sides of your tank *between the black plastic frame*. Use a ruler and pencil to make perfect 90degree lines. Remember: Measure twice (or more); cut once. Foam core is pretty easy to cut and if you have a steady hand or experience with pen knives, a cutting pad will not be necessary but is always recommended. Cut halfway on one side of the foam core, and snap it back once the cut is done. Then, use the knife to lightly make tear marks on the opposite side. You may know snap off the piece you cut out. This is what my 3 pieces looked like when I was finished cutting.

Unfortunately the person who cut my background didn't make a straight line on one end so I was about a cm short on the right side which I made up for with scrap pieces.

Next, you will need to cut your aquarium background to fit your foam core. Once again, be sure to measure very accurately before making your cut. Use a metal ruler with a cork bottom. The reason for this is because the pen knife will shave the sides of a plastic ruler everytime you go against it and will make the ruler virtually useless to you in the future. As well, the cork provides grip for the surface it's on which will prevent slipping and sliding and accidents from happening. When cutting, *place the background over the cutting pad* and place the ruler directly lined up with your cutting mark. Press firmly on the ruler with one hand, press down on the cutting board with the knife slightly pushed towards the side of the ruler. This will ensure a perfect cut. Note: The lower the angle of the blade on the paper, the smoother the cut. The higher the angle, the more likely you are to shred the paper.

So here's the fun part. Before I begin, I must stress that you do not use regular white school/craft glue for this. I learned a very important thing in photography class and that is that you don't use normal glue on laminated surfaces such as photos or in this case aquarium background. I use something called rubber cement which is a really runny (when fresh) glue made out of natural rubber latex. It's got a somewhat alcoholic smell to it, so if the vapors bother you, use in a well ventilated area. It can also be very flammable, so don't spark anything within the vicinity of the glue or it's vapors. The great thing about this glue is it's EXTREMELY easy to rub off laminated surfaces, your hands, or something you accidentally spill it on once it's dry. As well, when it's wet, you can move around whatever you're gluing for proper placement without having to worry about getting messy.
    I placed a bit of glue in the center of the foam core, as well as enough on the edges to thoroughly stick on the background and gave it a few minutes to dry. If you wish, you can also use something to apply pressure to the edges to ensure a perfect drying job.

Once the rubber cement is done drying, your pieces of background+foam core should hopefully look something like this:

To mount, I used 2 pieces of sticky tack in the top two corners for the side pieces and 2 on top and bottom of the back piece. This way, when it's cleaning day or the background needs to be taken off for any reason, it's easy to remove/re-apply.

In conclusion, Pandora's tank is finally insulated and beautiful looking =] With the exception that you choose to use an alternative for foam core or aluminum foil for extra insulation, this should be a quick, easy, and cheap method to insulate your tank while using aquarium background for added prettiness

I finally, officially present: Pandora's Corner

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pandora For This Useful Post:

OhBalls (11-04-2008),Peter Williams (11-04-2008),RichardA (10-31-2008),SGExotics (08-01-2009),texron (03-03-2009)

Thanks

Re: Aquarium Background and Foam Core Insulation

Now thats a cozy looking tank! Very nice looking!!!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lillyorchid For This Useful Post:

Pandora (10-31-2008)

Thanks

Very well done and nice looking tank. I also love the stuffed snake in residence.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentra For This Useful Post:

Pandora (10-31-2008)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Very well done and nice looking tank. I also love the stuffed snake in residence.
    Oh how I love Ikea's children section for that snake =]
    It's Pandora's guardian

Thanks

Nice design. You will have to let us know how works for you.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohyeahnow View Post
    Nice design. You will have to let us know how works for you.
    Working perfectly actually
    And looks great =]

Thanks

Very cool!

May have to try that on a display around here.

Thanks

Cool. My snakes have them as well - three of them in addition to a stuffed iguana, two chameleons, two alligators, a crocodile and two frogs. They're on a shelf above my corn tanks and only represent about 1% of my stuffed animal collection.

I also use a setup similar to yours with the background and foam and I love it. The big difference with mine are that I use blue house foam (which is 'uglier' but much thicker) and often use scrapbooking paper instead of AQ background: it's cheaper.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

You did a nice job.
    Do not resuscitate

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dsirkle For This Useful Post:

Pandora (11-01-2008)

Thanks

That looks great!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Williams For This Useful Post:

Pandora (11-04-2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast