Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Names in for sale area

I have no idea if this has been brought up before or not so...
    I really think there should be a rule that you have your full name/email address in your post when you put something on the classified board. With so many scammers out there these days, I know most of us are much more wary of buying from anyone without basic info. I know that you can always PM a person, but I think making this mandatory would be an asset to BP net, especially with as many new people are joining this board on a daily basis.
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

Thanks

Re: Names in for sale area

I would be fine with doing that.

I will second this.

Thanks

I have no problem with listing my email address, i do however have a problem with posting my full legal name on a public board. If someone wants my name I wouldnt have a problem with listing it in a PM though. I think regardless of time with a forum you can always check someone out through a moderator/admin/exc. A few people for instance know me personally/in real life and wouldnt have a problem providing feedback for me i dont think. I think for big time breeders it would be different (such as adam at 8ball) he has his legal name all over the place but for small time people like me, i would rather not publicly list my first/last name as it is unique.. i just think its way to personal.

Registered User MONTY PYTHON FAN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADEE View Post
    I have no problem with listing my email address, i do however have a problem with posting my full legal name on a public board. If someone wants my name I wouldnt have a problem with listing it in a PM though. I think regardless of time with a forum you can always check someone out through a moderator/admin/exc. A few people for instance know me personally/in real life and wouldnt have a problem providing feedback for me i dont think. I think for big time breeders it would be different (such as adam at 8ball) he has his legal name all over the place but for small time people like me, i would rather not publicly list my first/last name as it is unique.. i just think its way to personal.

Ditto...T.M.I. can be dangerous "in the wild"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MONTY PYTHON FAN For This Useful Post:

ADEE (10-28-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

posting emails is dangerous because bots will traverse forums looking for "@" and ".com/.org" etc symbols to pick out email addresses and add them to lists for sending spam.

posting your full name, and ESPECIALLY with address and all that is extremely dangerous, with some very possible serious consequences. Stolen identity? Very difficult thing to recover from.

I think having both the buyer and seller put forth the effort to communicate with each other is the best way to go about things. I'm perfectly able to keep myself safe from scammers, and I don't need them to post their email or full name in public. I like the way craigslist does it with the annonomized email addresses, gives enough protection to the sellers without limiting communication to the buyers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

ADEE (10-28-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    posting emails is dangerous because bots will traverse forums looking for "@" and ".com/.org" etc symbols to pick out email addresses and add them to lists for sending spam.

posting your full name, and ESPECIALLY with address and all that is extremely dangerous, with some very possible serious consequences. Stolen identity? Very difficult thing to recover from.

I think having both the buyer and seller put forth the effort to communicate with each other is the best way to go about things. I'm perfectly able to keep myself safe from scammers, and I don't need them to post their email or full name in public. I like the way craigslist does it with the annonomized email addresses, gives enough protection to the sellers without limiting communication to the buyers.
    great post!
    ITA, i love how craigslist keeps your email addy private during that innitial email, you can choose whether or not to expose your email to the buyer. Thanks for clearing things up about scammers using @.com/org/net/exc... i shouldve thought of that.

My mom had her identity stolen a couple years ago and its a pain to try and recover everything, shes still having issues to this day with some crediters! Im so glad im not the only one who has these feelings about posting names/emails.
    Last edited by dr del; 10-28-2008 at 10:25 AM.