Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,041

1 members and 3,040 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

"Not" stressing, looking for suggestions

Hi- We have a 1 yr. old Ball... OOkii is his name, from what I have read and heard from others I have had it really easy with him until now... we are going on 4 weeks not eating... the first week he went into shed mode and didnt come out so let him be, the next week we tried to feed and refused for a week and then got another feeder and it has been another week... still not eating... he is out active as he usually does to hunt and eat, but when offered just runs the other way from the rat.... any suggestions? Everyone keeps telling me it is normal for them to not eat for months at at a time, but he has been consistantly every week.... (with an exception here or there over the year) but never this long.

thanks for any ideas... oh yeah, my reptile vet is gone and now am looking for someone in the north sound area... any recommendations?

Thanks

Re: "Not" stressing, looking for suggestions

It really is normal....especially this time of year. My eldest went 9 months once.
    Keep offering and weigh him regularly to keep an eye on his weight

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OhBalls For This Useful Post:

Kat's Toy (10-25-2008)

Thanks

My recommendation is to relax, keep the snake's stress to a minimum, try feeding once a week and monitor the snake's weight. I have had males go a year without eating and lose just 100 grams or so in body weight. This time of year he might be feeling the seasonal temperature/barometric changes and that can cause them to go off feed. Hope this helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jglass38 For This Useful Post:

Kat's Toy (10-25-2008)

Thanks

Okay... just like my hubby said, quit worrying... he's okay... he likes to be right once in a while...

I guess my next question is how do you know it has been too long between and that there isn't something more seriously wrong? how much weight is okay over how long of time??

Kat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kat's Toy View Post
    Okay... just like my hubby said, quit worrying... he's okay... he likes to be right once in a while...

I guess my next question is how do you know it has been too long between and that there isn't something more seriously wrong? how much weight is okay over how long of time??

Kat
    It's okay to throw the hubby a bone once in awhile!!!
    Really depends on the age and weight of the snake. Believe me, you'll notice if he's too skinny.
    If you noticed that he has not pooped in awhile (the snake, not hubby ) try giving him a warm bath to get things moving. I notice some of my snakes won't eat if they had not pooped in awhile.
    Good Luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OhBalls For This Useful Post:

Kat's Toy (10-26-2008)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

it's ok for it to deny food for a while and if he/she is kept in the same manner it has been for the last year with no changes in temps and humidity or housing then i think you will be just fine. also you could try to entice it when you try to feed it. dip the preys head in chicken broth and try it. i have had to do that a few times to get some to go back to eating.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xanaxez For This Useful Post:

Kat's Toy (10-26-2008)

Thanks

He poops regularly once a month... like his sheds, like clock work... (the snake not the hubby ) He is due on both anytime now since it has been 4 weeks since last shed/feed... we havent done anything different to his habitat other than raise the temp. to adjust to the house being cooler in the day when no one is home...

he has grown tremendously this past summer as he is almost 3.5 ft. + and only 1 yr old... we switched him to rats about 3 months ago and at first he wasnt sure about them, but decided bigger is better... >LOL> so the idea of dipping the head in chicken broth is a great idea ... much better than cracking the skull... we now have 2 rats residing here at home... the hubby took a liking to the one we tried to feed over 4 weeks ago, so now is a family pet... oh cripes... suggested we use him for a breeder(the rat)... not sure I want to go there yet, maybe after I get myself a few more balls... which I do plan on doing...

thanks for your ideas...