Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

1 members and 2,917 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Virginia Beach, VA - Woman killed by pet python

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    wilomn - But how stupid are the rest of us for keeping wild animals in cages just a few feet from where we sleep?
    Not very if indeed they are kept in cages. The stupidity comes into play when you attempt to feed, med, or handle a large snake without someone else present.

My father worked at the National Zoo as a police officer and when on the night shift his favorite place to nap on break was in the reptile house amongst the venomous snakes. Which of course were in cages. Had he decide to let them out then he would have been stupid.

As for domestication of snakes I have to agree that is not going to happen simply I feel due to the size of the brain and thought process. Not much to work with there but instincts.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    wilomn - But how stupid are the rest of us for keeping wild animals in cages just a few feet from where we sleep?
    Not very if indeed they are kept in cages. The stupidity comes into play when you attempt to feed, med, or handle a large snake without someone else present.

My father worked at the National Zoo as a police officer and when on the night shift his favorite place to nap on break was in the reptile house amongst the venomous snakes. Which of course were in cages. Had he decide to let them out then he would have been stupid.

As for domestication of snakes I have to agree that is not going to happen simply I feel due to the size of the brain and thought process. Not much to work with there but instincts.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Just for clarification's sake, the above quote was about sleeping near reptiles was solely 13's, not mine. I never said any such thing.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jotay View Post

Woosh!

Thanks

Update incase if anyone didn't hear or cares. They put the snake down on Fri. I was so tempted to go and get it from there cause I was almost certin of what was going to happen. Kinnda kicking myself for not but I am not even sure if they would give it to me. The snake was put down per request of the husband.
    0.0.1 Ball Python

Thanks

well there are hundreds more retics that need good homes, so all is not lost if you want to save one!
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

i no a girl on reptile geeks who knew this lady and said she was always careful and repectful to her snakes she had a couple more besides that retic. and she said that the retic was really docile but put a needle near me or retrain me to give me medicine i'm gonna fight to if i was snake. They don't know whats goin on just whether or not its feeding time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scales owner View Post
    The snake was put down per request of the husband.
    Back to my original thought....eliminate some of the physical evidence.....

Thanks

I have till now kept out of this, because I could see the rationale on both sides.

However, reading how she had experience and that reptiles were not new to her, I am of the mind that she wasn't "stupid," nor did she make a "stupid" mistake. I would label it more "misplaced" concern.

She seemed to be more concerned about the animal's health than her own safety. Perhaps she thought that she knew the snake well enough to be able to handle it on her own. We will never know what behaviors that the animal was displaying that made her take that chance.

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monk90222 View Post
    Back to my original thought....eliminate some of the physical evidence.....
    How in the world is the snake considered "evidence?"

It can't talk and investigators can't get anything from it unless it's dead, and since it is now dead, if the police decide that the snake is worth investigating, they now have a cadaver to work on...but it would show nothing other than to match up any "bruises" with the snakes size, perhaps scale indentations etc.

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadude View Post
    ...but it would show nothing other than to match up any "bruises" with the snakes size, perhaps scale indentations etc.

exactly....the husband requested the snake to be put down. The body of the snake can be disposed of....no more measuring the snake or other stuff you mentioned if there is no snake to measure/compare to....(this is just my opinion....and I have the right to have one...)

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast