Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,693

0 members and 2,693 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Any Good Information?

I'm looking for really good books and websites for horse care and general horse information. Breed information as well. I went to a horse barn where my friend full leases a horse named Star. He's part Arabian, part something else that I can't remember. Well, she was teaching me to groom Lilly, a quarter horse and asked if I wanted to ride her. (I haven't been on a horse since I was 7). She tells me not to worry and we take the horses out into the ring and I get on. (Wow, it was high up). The horse was wonderful. Being a school horse, she did everything I told her to do. My friend said lessons there were $150 a month (Yikes!) but she said since her sister owns Lilly, she could teach me for free till I get up to trotting the horse, then she can't really teach me much else. She told me how much boarding is at the barn as well. Field boarding is somewhere around 200-300 and stall boarding is around 500, both per month. While that is too expensive for me now, I might learn to ride over the next few years and then get myself a horse. The barn is about a 10 min drive from home, so not very far. So now I'm looking for information about everything horse. I want to get some research done.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Any Good Information?

Too bad you don't live close by! I've got about 20+ horse books I've collected since a young child. Everything from raising and training baby to horse breeds to riding. I don't know about websites but book stores always seem to have a HUGE selection of horse related books.

One thing I have noticed though, you buy one horse book you've just about bought them all. They use a lot of the same pictures and information Just go check out the book store, you'll find a bunch for under $20.

Thanks

I work in a bookstore so I have plenty of access to all the horse books. I think we have about 10 that are about care and housing. I just know that sometimes when you read a book about an animal some of the information can be outdated or incorrect, like with reptiles.

One thing I'm wondering, is how do you construct a large horse barn? It seems kind of complicated. And how much would a horse barn cost? I'm trying to see if my schedule matches my friend's at all next week so I can go learn to ride.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh gosh, lots of money and you need someone who is really experienced or you need to hire someone. We had a steal barn built for the horses. I can't remember the dimensions exactly but I think it was 50x50. It cost $4,000 just for the material and my uncle is a construction guy so he built it over the summer.

If you don't need anything fancy just build a smaller sized wood barn with an awning. You could do that yourself with some help if you are skilled in that sort of stuff. My horse actually prefers the awning. Just as long as they have shelter from the rain and wind. Otherwise you're going to be dealing with a lot of rain rot.

Personally I think all the horse care books are up to date, if they were within the last 5 years. In my experience not much has changed in the last five years other than the west nile shots. They weren't as good and you never knew if your pregnant mare could have the shot or not. Now with more research it's perfectly safe to give your horse shots for the virus, and your crazy not to, we had 6 horses die just in our vets area last summer.

It's the training books that really matter, but then it's not really if they are up to date, it's if you agree with that style of training.