Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,896

5 members and 2,891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

ASF in a rat rack?

Last fall I built a rack to house my rats. I used the plans that someone posted in the DIY section. The tubs are 22x16x6.75 and the hardware cloth is 1/2 inch. I bought a group of ASF about a month ago and I have been keeping them in a 20g but I want to move them into the rack if possible.

Do you guys think that the hardware cloth would be to high for the younger rats to reach the food?

Also, would the hardware cloth openings be to big to contain them?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: ASF in a rat rack?

You can use a rack for ASF (I do) however you need to use 1/4 or 1/3 hardware cloth, otherwise the hoppers will squeeze through and escape.

As for reaching food they do not have any problem, you will see them eating while hanging upside down just like mice do.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

TMoore (10-22-2008)

Thanks

I use 1/2" and never had an escapee through the cloth in almost 6 months. For weanlings I usually put some food in the tub and/or put a piece of 2x4 under the food and water bottle so they can reach it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FIREball For This Useful Post:

TMoore (10-22-2008)

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I think I may go out and get some smaller hardware cloth just to be on the safe side. I just have to figure out how I'm going to replace it. I really don't want to take it apart, maybe I could just lay it over the 1/2 inch thats already there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TMoore View Post
    Thanks for the input. I think I may go out and get some smaller hardware cloth just to be on the safe side. I just have to figure out how I'm going to replace it. I really don't want to take it apart, maybe I could just lay it over the 1/2 inch thats already there.
    Its that easy, go get get smaller and lay it over, dont waste your time taking the old stuff out.

Thanks

Yeah i would think that the half inch mesh would be fine though because by the time they become weeners they shouldnt be able to fit through the 1/2 inch mesh.Im going to pick up a group of 25 adults that have tons of fuzzies in the cage and they are giving them all to me for free. But im wondering will i have problems with them chewing out of the concrete mixing tubs?
    Last edited by rocko; 10-22-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: mispell

Thanks

We have kept ASF for 2 years in a "rat rack" with 1/2'' hardware cloth an auto watering system and home depot concrete mixing tubs. We have not had 1 instance of ASF's chewing out of the tubs. We have recently put 2 rat trios in 2 of the bottom tubs and they have chewed out 2 times in the 2 months we have had them in there.

Thanks

I breed a crap load of ASF's and had them set-up in a rack with 1/2" cloth and they started getting out. Not all of the babies figure it out.

I set up a camera one night (I own a security camera company so I have extras around). I got to watch them go in and out of the tub with no problems. It was like a game to them. They would get out and then go right back in the tub.

I'd recommend using 1/4" screen unless you like finding dead escapees. After finding my first dead escapee I started looking allover my basement and found like 15 of them.

Hognose, Sand Boa & Ball Python Morphs

Greg Bennett | http://www.hognose.com