Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,535

6 members and 3,529 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: I'm new.

Thanks

I'm new.

to breeding rats. It's not like it's rocket science or anything .. I know, but there are a lot of things just to get the hang of.

that is not why I am here.

I am here to ask you all one question. WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME RATS WERE SO FUN TO WATCH!

I have 2 females, one male. Had them about 2 weeks now .. and they have been together for that long. Today was cleaning day, so I picked them up o place them in another container for cleaning. (this container will be daddies home for a while after birth)

ANYWAY

One of them females felt a bit .. round. She was defiantly packing something more than usual. Which, is about right I would say. I have seen things going on .. it's about right. So I provided them with some paper towels and was going to see what they did with it. They are playing with it.

Hide and go seek

Peek-a-boo

fort

The works. They seem to really enjoy their new found "toy". It's really fun to watch them interact and you can tell that they are really dependent on the community aspect of their day to day lives.

Anyway .. just sharing for the sake of sharing.

Thanks

Re: I'm new.

Lol I hear ya man. When I first got my rats they were supposed to be "just breeders" to make the babies to feed the snakes. That lasted about 5 minutes after we got them through the door lol. Me and my girlfriend had them spread out on the bed crawling all over checking everything out and just having a blast. Another thing they absolutely love is we get these big packing tubes at work so I'll cut some of them up on the bandsaw bring em home and pop em in with them and they'll play around for hours in those things then tear em up and make beds with the cardboard lol.

I love my rats even if it sucks sometimes feeding the babies I've still got my guys and girls (I've got 3.4 right now adopting another female this week from a friend) and it's awesome seeing their different personalities. Good luck with your little guy and girls
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

I love rats! I visit and play with all of my rats everyday. They are so fun to watch, they get to run around with us in the living room too sometimes. After cleaning, I always sit back and watch them, they are so funny. Especially the youngsters.

Thanks

Yea. rats are very fun to have around. I used to breed them years ago. And miss having them. It's just a matter of time though, as soon as my BP's start eating rats. i'll get some more, and kind of sneak a few into the house as pets. Just don't tell my wife about my plan. I'm sure once she sees how smart and fun they are she won't mind.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

I drive my dad nuts with my rats. He says that there JUST breeding rats, not for cuddling, fawning over, and spoiling rotten.

But there just so fuzzy and adorable...

Thanks

Glad you are enjoying the rats. We breed both regular and african soft furred rats and although their main function is to provide food for the snakes, the rats in and of themselves are very interesting to have around. Well before we ever had snakes we kept rats as pets and personally I think they make the best of the rodent family when it comes to a companion animal.

Try giving your preggo female rats some telephone book pages that you've ripped up into thin strips. They love the stuff for making nests with and it's a great way to recycle your old phone books. Actually all rats love this and I usually toss in a handful or two when I change my rodent enclosures.
    ~~Joanna~~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

marmie (10-21-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Try giving your preggo female rats some telephone book pages that you've ripped up into thin strips. They love the stuff for making nests with and it's a great way to recycle your old phone books. Actually all rats love this and I usually toss in a handful or two when I change my rodent enclosures.

Great tip, I never even thought of that and I feel guilty when I throw a phone book away.

I love my rats! I have 2 girls that live in the house and I bring them out to play every night. I love that they feel safest with me so they don't stray far and when they get startled they run right back to me.

Glad you are enjoying them Cuda!
    Laurie

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rats are fantastic! I had them as pets for almost 3 years before I started breeding them! They are MUCH different than mice and other rodents. In fact they are least likely of all rodents to bite!

Personally I think rats act a lot like ferrets only they don't smell and they don't bite, even when excited! I've met a ton of people with ferrets and they would say "he would never bite, he just gets a little excited sometimes and can't control himself and 'nibbles' on you." Oh heck no, they BITE! If they nibble on you and draw blood every time that's biting!