Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,239

1 members and 3,238 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Quick Question

Thanks

Quick Question

I recently adopted two baby ball pythons from a woman that was having a baby and could no longer take care of them. She kept them both together in a 20L with no problems. I was just wondering is that a good idea or should i separate them. These are the my first snakes.

My setup has the following:
    UTH for the warm belly side,
    Small water dish on the hot side,
    Hide on the warm side,
    Large water dish on the cool side,
    Day Heat lamp
    Blue Night Lamp
    Stick on thermometer and hydrometer stuck on in the middle of the tank about 3/4 way to the top.

Im going to go to walmart tonight after work and get a digital thermometer to put under the substrate on the warm side so i can get a accurate reading of the temps on that side. I'm also going to grab half a yard of heavy vinyl to cover the mesh on top to try and raise the humidity in the tank as its steady at about 30-35% right now. What do you guys think of my setup so far and about separating them.

Almost forgot she said they are male and female.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: Quick Question

Although from the completeness of the setup it sounds like they were well-loved, it's not a good idea to keep them together. They should each have their own cage.

Additionally, a UTH without a thermostat or rheostat is a tragedy waiting to happen--these devices get too hot, and must be controlled to regulate the temperature. The temperature on the surface of the basking area should be 90F.

There should be a hide on each side of the cage.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Vash (10-19-2008)

Thanks

She didnt include the setup with the snakes, I put it together with supplies bought at the local petco. im gonna be ordering a Repti Temperature Rheostat tonight when i get home from work. What size tanks should these guys be put in to give them correct size and security, and also is it safe to keep them together for now while i get the money together to buy 2 setups?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod.../2/product.web
    that is the rheostat that i was looking at buying. Will that one work sufficiently?

Thanks

I would say a 20 long for them each will do...if they are still small u can prob get away with a 10 gallon but eventually they will out grow it.

Unless u go the tub route..in which i'm not too sure what size would suffice.
    Chester

1.0 normal bp- Jake
    0.2 crested geckos- Reptar & ________

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

as far as I can tell just about all rheostats are the same. If you're close to a lowes, home depot, or similar store they should carry light dimmer rheostats. I picked mine up for just over $10. It's not as pretty as the repti temp rheostat but it works just fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

You can put one into a tub set up to save money until you can have two full elaborate set-ups. A tub is also very easy to keep humidty up properly in. That way you can seperate them right away, while not having to buy a whole new set-up.
    Walmart sells a nice little temp/humidty sensor for about $14. It's in the indoor/outdoor section with the outdoor thermometers.
    Good luck, and congrats on your new pets.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I would go with a tub or another 20 gallon. Even a twenty gallon would be small within two years. I would not recomend a 10 gallon. IMO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    You can put one into a tub set up to save money until you can have two full elaborate set-ups. A tub is also very easy to keep humidty up properly in. That way you can seperate them right away, while not having to buy a whole new set-up.
    Walmart sells a nice little temp/humidty sensor for about $14. It's in the indoor/outdoor section with the outdoor thermometers.
    Good luck, and congrats on your new pets.
    what size tub would i need to get for one of these guys, and should i just get another uth designed for a 10-20gallon tank?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would take the easy route and get a couple tubs. My babies are in shoe box tubs, 6 qt I believe. Once they hit 400 grams bump them up to the next size tub, a sweater tub. 12 qt I think Then after that you can decide if you want to keep doing the tub thing or switch them to tanks. If your anything like me you'll be wanting to go with the tub route because the number of snakes you have now is never enough