Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,765

2 members and 1,763 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Photo request: Goldfish tanks

I would really like to see everyone's goldfish tanks if they have 'em. I want to get a big 75 gallon tank and keep three goldfish in it when my boyfriend and I get our own place. I'm looking now to start putting ideas together.

Also, I really like the naturalistic tanks best. I'm planning on doing really big river rocks (or some kind of natural rock) on the bottom, but not so much that it entirely covers the glass. They'll have plants and whatnot of course, but I have this idea in my head and I'm not sure how to make it a reality. I'd like to somehow stack large, flat rocks together in front of the filter. I want them to be stacked high enough that they come partially out of the water, and make like a little waterfall which goes down into the tank - the source of the water being the filter/pump. Anyone have any suggestions on that?

Thanks

Re: Photo request: Goldfish tanks

Live plants and goldfish don't mix........I think there is one or two that might......Hornwort comes to mind........................but the waterfall sounds interesting!!!! No insight but I hope you find a way to make it work!
    "All creatures great and small.........."
    1 loving husband
    1.1 Normal Ball Pythons- George and Grace/1.1 BCI - Duece and Garnet/0.1 ferret - Gator
    2.0 Cockatiels- AJ and Twitch/ 1.1 Rats -Jeffrey and ?
    0.0.1 Veiled Chameleon - Lennie/ 1.0 Bearded Dragon (Puff-5weeks old)0.1 Miniature Pinscher- Spring
    1.0 Rat Terrier- Mack/ 120 Gal. freshwater tank
    2- 3 gal freshwater tanks
    Nolie - 0.1 ferret R.I.P.

Thanks

No, the plants would be plastic. Goldfish eat the live plants, so I wouldn't waste money on them. Plus, it's difficult to get the live plants to flourish unless you have a medium on the bottom for them. Since I'm leaving it empty for cleaning purposes, that just doesn't work.

Thanks for the tip, though.

Thanks

you could keep 4 goldfish in a 75g tank, also you can keep live plants with gold fish but i would reccomend only anubias and java fern as the gold fish dont like to eat them. I cant find a pic of my gold fish tank now but i will take one tomarrow

Thanks

How ironic I found this thread. I just bought my kids common goldfish from Petsmart to see if they are ready for an aquarium. Personally I had fish growing up and they would just fascinate me. I never did create my fancy goldfish aquarium tough. This may be a good excuse to start one up along with a cichlid one.

Thanks

What size filter are we looking at? As a rule of thumb I always take my filter's rating and divide it in half, especially since the gph rating on the filter box is measured without media in it (which of course would decrease its flow). Goldfish are very messy, so you might even might to want get more filteration than that, but that is because they have no stomachs to process food (not kidding). As far as tank size, a 75 is pretty large, but I have seen reccomendations for 125s as minimum, although i think you will be allright, as thats an 18 inch width. As far as filteration, if not getting a canister, AC110s are good, and relatively cheap, I have one of those and an fx-5 on my 90.

Thanks

I've had many goldfish before and I will never have them again. I found them to be very dirty, as in got the tank dirty very quickly. I've got three tanks with fish in currently but I do have another three waiting for the water to sort out- two of saltwater fish and one freshwater fish - One tank full off Gouramis (Moonlight, Dwarf, Giant, Blue, Pearl, Honey - favourite fish), Ranbow sharks and two Spotted Hypostomus.
    Within a couple days i'll be getting a male and 4-5 female Siamese fighting fish, they'll both be in seperate tanks. Im not too sure what too put in the other tank (wouldn't mind some suggestions).
    We also have a a large pond, in the front graden, with some Rudd, Tench and a couple weeks ago found some Koi Carp which I didn't put in there...
    I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Thanks

I LOVE Goldfish!! What type of goldfish are you thinking of? I have fancys and one common in a 75g.

Yes goldfish eat some plants but not all. I have a ton of plants with my goldies. Onion plants, crypts, water lettace, java ferns, swords and vals work with goldies.

Yep, they are messy messy messy, lol. If you can get double the filtration. I am also a mod on a goldfish/aquarium site.

I love the idea for your tank.

These are old pictures of the goldies. We have a new camera and i have to figure out how to download. lol.

BTW ~ all the fish you will see died. I didn't quarrentine.

~ Beth ~

Thanks

goldfish = messy and dirty

I had them before and it was a bad fish experience for me.

Felt like i had to constantly clean the tank.

Thanks

There is a link to how to get a planted Goldie tank.

http://thegab.org/Articles/GoldfishPlantsLowTech.html
    ~ Beth ~