Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,205

2 members and 3,203 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Medical question

Ok, so i have a female hognose, about a year old, maybe a little older. She ate something bad a few months ago and recouped just fine but i have noticed she seems swollen in the last 2/3 of her body compared to my other hogs. she has grown since she had the bad encounter of the eaten kind, but i just want to double check and see if it's a possibility gastrous problems could ocure or be consistant over several months without any debilitating affects. She eats great, still active, still moves the very tip of her tail, no major lethargy, just feels bloated (almost like she is gravid but she is too young to breed).
    Also, never had this happen with any of my others, but could it be her getting mature? Maybe she is getting her little snake time of the month? She seems fine, but i always like to make sure, regardless, especially if it's common.

Thanks

Re: Medical question

What did she eat that was bad?

Thanks

Do you have a picture?

Is the bloating right up to the vent area?
    If it ends at the vent, then I suggest giving a warm soak until something comes out. Has she pooped or urated for you since this bloating has occurred?

Other than that, the only other thing I know of as of yet that can cause bloating is overheating. So check the temps.

Let us know, and if all else fails, take her to the vet.

Thanks

First, I assume you are talking about a Western hognose, not an Eastern, Southern, Tricolor, or Madagascan?

She may be to young, but has she been kept with a male? Just because we think they are to young, does not mean they can't and won't.

Also, what do you mean she ate something bad? Are you talking about a regurge? If so, regurge does not necessarily mean the food was bad, it can be a symptom of several things including parasites.

You mention that she moves fine, eats fine, etc....but no mention of pooing normally. If she is not pooing then she could be backed up or impacted. What kind of substrate do you keep her on, and do you feed her on said substrate?

I agree with Jess, pics would be helpfull.
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    What did she eat that was bad?
    She had an eastern newt. It snuck into her cage while i wasn't ooking and she gulped it down with a few pinks.

Thanks

So she regurged and thats how you were able to identify it? Otherwise, if you weren't looking when it snuck in.... you see where I'm going?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whytepizza View Post
    She had an eastern newt. It snuck into her cage while i wasn't ooking and she gulped it down with a few pinks.
    Wait, how did it sneak into her cage exactly? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Also, was it bad food because of it's toxicity?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Do you have a picture?

Is the bloating right up to the vent area?
    If it ends at the vent, then I suggest giving a warm soak until something comes out. Has she pooped or urated for you since this bloating has occurred?

Other than that, the only other thing I know of as of yet that can cause bloating is overheating. So check the temps.

Let us know, and if all else fails, take her to the vet.
    It is up to the vent, yes. And yes, she is a Western (i'm sorry for the confusion on that). Well, as for substrate she was on Crushed Walnut shell, now she is on carpet. I've used Walnut shell for years and never had a problem, but i switched to stay safe and there is a first time for everything, i suppose.
    As for eurates, i've seen a few. First when she was on walnut shell, some nice white blotches being soaked up. As for poops, she hasn't really pooped, but none of my hogs really poop alot, and if they do they bury it quickly. she has pooped a few times in her water dish (only reason i know this is because it makes the whole room smell like dead rat and the water turnes a nice greenish color.). But, yes, she is bloated up to her vent. It looks like she had just laid eggs. Not alot of bloating, but it's noticable to me and only my 3 females bloat at all.
    I will definintely soak her. Will giving her a little olive oil on her food to help flush things out be a bad idea?
    Thanks so much for the help so far, guys!
    Last edited by whytepizza; 10-15-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Wait, how did it sneak into her cage exactly? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
    Also, was it bad food because of it's toxicity?
    Snuck in there. Her feeding cage is next to where my daughter keeps her newts and snapping turtle. One eastern newt snuck out and got into her feeding cage through the screen mesh top. Yes, newts are toxic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    So she regurged and thats how you were able to identify it? Otherwise, if you weren't looking when it snuck in.... you see where I'm going?
    Yep, when she regurged and when my little girl when, "Where is HENERY!!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast