Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

1 members and 2,977 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: dubias food

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

dubias food

What is the best non-vegetable food for dubias? I had bought some roach buffet when I got them, and I also feed baby carrots (good for their eyes). Now I'm looking for another source of protein, they didn't really care for the buffet. Is it ground up dry cat food that I should use?

Thanks

Re: dubias food

I blend up 50% high quality dog food, 25% Rodent Chow (Harlan Teklad), and then I make up the rest (25%) in Kashi Brand Cereals, Oatmeal, Cat Chow, and pretty much any other grain you can find in the cabinets.

I've also heard of people using fish flakes, noodles, etc. There is a reason I use dog food over cat chow as the main stable. I've heard of several people losing entire colonies (especially with Dubia Roaches) from too much protein.

It seems to be a good diet for them, they grow fast, and have a fairly high reproduction rate.

I also feed them fruits (citrus is supposed to be good for reproduction), and fresh vegetables (like Turnip, Collard, Mustard Greens, Carrots, etc).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

I've heard of a lot of people refusing to use dog/cat food due to all the fillers and things. Beans and such are good for proteins.
    Mike

Thanks

I've had great success with cat food. I use a coffee grinder to pulverize the kibbles. I also throw in an apple or pear. My colony has grown so large, I've given tons of them away to friends.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I use a high protein diet for all my roaches, they love it. I have never heard that to much protein will kill them

Thanks

I'm not sure how much truth there is in "too much protein killing colonies", but you can go to Arachnoboards and search for the threads. A lot of people have great success with just using cat kibble, but I'm always on the safe side.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    I'm not sure how much truth there is in "too much protein killing colonies", but you can go to Arachnoboards and search for the threads. A lot of people have great success with just using cat kibble, but I'm always on the safe side.
    Yea, I have a mixture of cat food, dog food and other small animal food. I estimated about 20% protein in the bunch (I calculated by ounces) Seems to work find.