Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,862

1 members and 2,861 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Dubias fly?!?!?!?!?!?

Why did no one tell me!!!!!!????!???!?!?!?!

Even the guy from Blaberus, where I got them said they dont climb, and they dont fly.

Well guess what I heard fly across my room last night?????!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks

Re: Dubias fly?!?!?!?!?!?

I've noticed most Roaches with wings, they seem to be able to glide/flutter. My dubia males seem to be quite a bit more talented than the Lobsters though.

I was told the same thing, non-glass climbers, no flying. It's a bit of a manipulation on words though. By "flying" they mean dubia can not fly straight up or for an extended amount of time. They more or less glide down to the floor....or in your dogs mouth...whichever.

Thanks

LOL...Sorry man...

Yeah... Those males can in fact lift off. Whether I would call it actually flying or not...that is another story. I found out watching a Male try to escape a feeding cup i one of my Cham cages. He would climb up the side(my feeder cups have screen for the bugs to climb on and attract attention, Dubia cannot climb smooth surfaces.)... then try to flutter out. After 3 or four tries he made it out and into the cage.

I have heard stories of males being found in boxes on the top shelf of the garage after a tank was left open. That is quite the flight, but I personally have never seen it. I would keep them in a ten gallon tank with a secure screen lid anyway, even though I have never seen one take flight enough to flutter his way out of a tank.

~Joe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle.C View Post
    I've noticed most Roaches with wings, they seem to be able to glide/flutter. My dubia males seem to be quite a bit more talented than the Lobsters though.

I was told the same thing, non-glass climbers, no flying. It's a bit of a manipulation on words though. By "flying" they mean dubia can not fly straight up or for an extended amount of time. They more or less glide down to the floor....or in your dogs mouth...whichever.
    Thats why I love having my dog around He will catch anything that tries to escape!

Even turkistan roaches do the same thing, flutter a short distance but thats about it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    Thats why I love having my dog around He will catch anything that tries to escape!

Even turkistan roaches do the same thing, flutter a short distance but thats about it.
    I hate Turks! Man talk about a stinking quick little roach! I had a buddy give me a few to try out with my chams... and the thing managed to get out of the cup I had in my hand and up my arm to my neck in a split second! I fed them off ASAP... and decided I loved dubias because of how easy they are to handle.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

They are fast, but stink? I keep roughly 20k and with proper maintenance no smell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Clear View Post
    They are fast, but stink? I keep roughly 20k and with proper maintenance no smell.
    lol...sorry.... I meant it as in "stinking quick"... not that they Stink and are Quick... My fault. I have yet to experience a roach colony that stinks as bad as crickets, Roaches for some reason feel like pretty sanitary little bugs.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCaliSon View Post
    lol...sorry.... I meant it as in "stinking quick"... not that they Stink and are Quick... My fault. I have yet to experience a roach colony that stinks as bad as crickets, Roaches for some reason feel like pretty sanitary little bugs.
    lol I have some orange heads that have a defense odor that is bad, but still not as bad as crickets.