Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

2 members and 3,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

So are they really as mean as they appear

Personally HOTs aren't for me...but I was just curious to hear from those of you that do keep them...are they as mean as they appear? Most of the images you see they appear ready to strike.

I have no issue sticking my hand in any of my python cages and pulling out a snake (with minimal worry they will strike just to strike)...despite the potential consequence with HOTs just thinking of them as a normal snake do they tame down to that level or are they always jumpy and ready to strike?

Just curious.
    Sean

Thanks

Re: So are they really as mean as they appear

i dont know much about them but i would have to think it all depends on the type of hot. for instance i have a buddy that has a forest cobra that is very docile and i have had no problem holding but i have never known anyone to own a rattler or viper and actually handle them. I think cobras are the way to go if your thinkin bout gettin a venomous snake.
    pin albino bp in the making

Thanks

Depends on the species, however all snakes bite, HOTs just send you to ER when they do.

I will get into this more later, gotta go to work......

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think that's an interesting question....and one that I would HOPE there is no real answer to. The reason I say that is because if people who keep hots are keeping them properly, then there is no way for them to find out how "docile" they are compared to boids or colubrids. No matter how docile a hot snake is, it shouldn't be free handled and played with as if it were a small python. The risks are simply too high.

That being said...I'm sure there is a lot of variety of temperments between the different species, just as there are among different species of boids and colubrids. And within each species, there are always individuals that are more laid back and cool with keeper interaction....or more high strung and nervous.

With hots, all of them should be treated as if they are high strung and ready to bite without warning or hesitation. That's my take on hots, anyhow. Personally, I wouldn't ever want to keep one, no matter how beautiful and/or how "tame" it might be.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andwhy6 View Post
    i dont know much about them but i would have to think it all depends on the type of hot. for instance i have a buddy that has a forest cobra that is very docile and i have had no problem holding but i have never known anyone to own a rattler or viper and actually handle them. I think cobras are the way to go if your thinkin bout gettin a venomous snake.
    I remember a news story in the past year or so about a guy who handled his rattlers bare handed all the time. Said they were as tame as any other snake out there. Then he got drunk one night and put the snake's head in his mouth and it bit his tongue. Obviously he had it coming, but it just goes to show you that they really are like any other snake. They may be docile, but they're still going to bite at some point. It's just a much heavier price to pay when they do bite, so why take the risk?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I think that's an interesting question....and one that I would HOPE there is no real answer to. The reason I say that is because if people who keep hots are keeping them properly, then there is no way for them to find out how "docile" they are compared to boids or colubrids. No matter how docile a hot snake is, it shouldn't be free handled and played with as if it were a small python. The risks are simply too high.

That being said...I'm sure there is a lot of variety of temperments between the different species, just as there are among different species of boids and colubrids. And within each species, there are always individuals that are more laid back and cool with keeper interaction....or more high strung and nervous.

With hots, all of them should be treated as if they are high strung and ready to bite without warning or hesitation. That's my take on hots, anyhow. Personally, I wouldn't ever want to keep one, no matter how beautiful and/or how "tame" it might be.
    Awww Judy...the voice of reason...lol

I agree with your comment...but you are missing the point of the question. As a species are venomous snakes more aggressive due to the fact that they are venomous? Due to the head structure they "look" mean just wondering how true that is.

We advocate Ball's as being good first python snakes...why because they are fairly laid back and tolerate handling well (other pythons calm down quick enough too)...where do HOT's fall like this?

I know there are always exceptions to every rule with snakes (not all Ball's are created equal)...but in general what do HOT keepers see?

It is just a curiosity question
    Sean

Thanks

I don't have any hot experience at all but I will say that I have seen a very "tame" venomoid Rhinocerous viper being handled by hand. Whether venomoids or free handling is right or wrong, I am not going to get into at all. But the snake was seemingly docile.
    -Diana

Support Captive Breeders
    http://www.lunarboids.com

Thanks

There are never any mean animals, just those that get stressed out more easily than others. In general differnt species tend to get stressed in different ways (playing dead, striking, curling up in a ball, etc.)
    As for Hots, i'm not so sure, i only handled a few pine rattlers and never by hand, only by mouth (kidding!). They seemed fine, like you could handle them by hand but i think they would've gotten stressed by the hand.
    Keep in mind, every animal is docile by nature and you must understand their limits and things that annoy them when handling any animal (dog, cat, horse, snake, fish, etc).

Thanks

Ok, most have covered this very well.

I will ad a few things here.

First off, tame is not a word around most herpers. There is no such thing as tame with reptiles, or really any animal. There are just different degrees of tolerance. Some are more tolerant then others, just like people.....LOL

As far as the mean look, that is mainly only in vipers. Some of the most venomous snakes on earth are also the ones that look harmless. Some look like normal ratsnakes, like a corn without fancy colors or patterns.

Yes in the venomous community there are some snakes that are concidered "beginner". They include Copperheads, due to the lower toxicity and available antivenin, among the most tolerant of dealings is the Gaboon Viper.....believe it or not they are very unlikely to strike at a person with normal dealings, however it would only take once to make things ugly in a hurry, and the Timber Rattlesnake.....timbers have good attitudes as far as rattlers go.

There again, NO venomous snake is "handleable".....period, just no way to treat the snake and a very large lack of responsibility.

I in NO WAY shape or form condone HOT keeping.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures View Post
    I in NO WAY shape or form condone HOT keeping.
    Thank you! I forgot to say that before.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast