Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,810

0 members and 2,810 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

new colour patterns / Colors? you tell me.

Having sold a ASF's to a few members of BP.net, many of you have seen what my different lines of asf's look like. All the ones I have ever produced can easily be broken into 3 main groups (sorry don't know the official names)

1) caped - both albino and non albino... all white with small patch of color on back shoulder blades

2) Gremlin - both albino and non albino.... body all one color with a stripe on the head.

3) normal - both albino and non albino... mostly colored back with all or mostly white head

Well, I have crossed all of my lines through several generations. I just noticed something in my last batch that is really throwing me for a loop. One trio produced for me the first ever (for me) in one litter 3 different solid colored asf's!!!! the entire body from head to toe one color. They are still nursing, so pics will come as soon as eyes open. they include:

1.) Very light brown (don't think albino)
    2.) very dark grey almost black
    3.) ALL WHITE!!! (Don't think albino)

Promise pics will come as soon as their eyes are all the way open. I have seen pics before of solid ASF's... but what colours of solid are there? does anyone have a super light brown one? Or an all white????
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: new colour patterns / Colors? you tell me.

I dont have any of yours but I thought I would answer as to what I have seen with mine.. I just produced my own solids.. I have a darker brown she looks like brindle.. and i have a light tan.. I havent gotten white yet.. I also dont have albino no one around here has them.. I can take pictures as well if you wish to see..

Thanks

Yes!!! pics are always welcome. I promise to provide pictures as soon as the eyes are open!
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcavana View Post
    Having sold a ASF's to a few members of BP.net, many of you have seen what my different lines of asf's look like. All the ones I have ever produced can easily be broken into 3 main groups (sorry don't know the official names)

1) caped - both albino and non albino... all white with small patch of color on back shoulder blades

2) Gremlin - both albino and non albino.... body all one color with a stripe on the head.

3) normal - both albino and non albino... mostly colored back with all or mostly white head

Well, I have crossed all of my lines through several generations. I just noticed something in my last batch that is really throwing me for a loop. One trio produced for me the first ever (for me) in one litter 3 different solid colored asf's!!!! the entire body from head to toe one color. They are still nursing, so pics will come as soon as eyes open. they include:

1.) Very light brown (don't think albino)
    2.) very dark grey almost black
    3.) ALL WHITE!!! (Don't think albino)

Promise pics will come as soon as their eyes are all the way open. I have seen pics before of solid ASF's... but what colours of solid are there? does anyone have a super light brown one? Or an all white????

Mike, the white spotting is much like a co-dominant effect.

The head spot (your gremlin) is the heterozygous form of white spotting.

The white head and white butt ( or Pieds, also what you call Caped and Normal) are just two varying degrees of extreme of the homozygous form of white spotting.

The self (all one color) are the rats that do not have the gene for white spotting.

Breeding two head spotted rats will give you Selfs, head spotted, and pieds.

Breeding two pieds together will give you all pieds.

Breeding a pied to a self will give you all head spots.

Head spotting : Heterozygous for White Spotting
    Pied: Homozygous for White Spotting
    Self: Normal, no spotting gene

I am interested in seeing the all white one. When you get a chance If the eyes are pink, that would be a true albino.

The yellow ones aren't actually albinos, they resemble the Pink eyed dilution of domestic rats.

Thanks

Thanks for that explanation connie. I have said it once, and will say it again. You really know your stuff when it comes to rats. Thanks for sharing!

I will post pictures of the selfs as soon as their eyes are all the way open (they are not open at all now)

what do you get when you breed two selfs?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

what do you get when you breed two selfs?
    You'd just get more selfs, since they dont have any white spotting genes to pass along.

Maybe with the strength of the white spotting out of the way, it will be easier to determine the true genetics of their colors.

Thanks

Questions:

1.) Does ANYONE out there have an all white ASF? (albino or non albino)

2.) If it is in fact an all white ASF, and not albino... how does that happen? Is there something wrong with it?

3.) isn't the pink eye delusion in normal rats a bad thing? would that mean it is a bad thing with ASF's to for some reason?
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I have never seen an all white ASF. If it is an all white ASF with pink eyes, it could be the first true albino ASF.

Remember, an albino is lacking all color, making it white with pink eyes.

The yellow/orange ASF's people call albinos, are NOT albinos. It is a melanin dilution, it dilutes the browns and blacks, leaving yellow and red behind. It is in no way an albino. In domestic rats it is called the Pink Eyed Dilute (PED), and another gene of less potency, the Red Eyed Dilute (RED).

So far, none of my PED ASF's or the Cinnamons (cinnamons/brown are what I suspect to be RED) have any major side effects.

Thanks

Ok... I think I get what you are saying. So a true albino rat is ONLY all white with red eyes. Is that correct? In other words, even if the eyes are red, if there is any color on fir other then white, it is a Pink Eye Dilluted and not an albino?

If it is all white with black eyes... what does that mean?

Here is a twist in the question for you connie.... moving away from rodents and talking about snakes... an albino ball python. Is it really an albino??? or is it actually another example of pink eye dilluted?

great conversation by the way... thanks!!!
    Last edited by Mike Cavanaugh; 10-08-2008 at 03:06 PM.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Ok... I think I get what you are saying. So a true albino rat is ONLY all white with red eyes. Is that correct? In other words, even if the eyes are red, if there is any color on fir other then white, it is a Pink Eye Dilluted and not an albino?

If it is all white with black eyes... what does that mean?

Here is a twist in the question for you connie.... moving away from rodents and talking about snakes... an albino ball python. Is it really an albino??? or is it actually another example of pink eye dilluted?

great conversation by the way... thanks!!!
    It's difficult to say, and I certainly don't presume to know if the mammalian albino is the same all across the board as well as reptilian albino definition.

The definition for Albinism in the Domestic rat, albino simply means the animal has no melanin production. Which is why they are white with pink eyes.

Obviously the albino Ball python seems to be producing the Yellow Phaeomelanin, and not producing the blacks or browns. But I don't know if the yellow is actually yellow pigment continuing to be produced, or if it is some other trait that produces yellow coloring. I just don't have that answer.

However, in rats, the dilute genes that create a yellow or orange and blue are specifically considered dilutes.

They (PED rats) very well could be considered a form of albinism, I'm just following the lead of already described scientific terms for the ASF's based on the domestic rat and calling them dilutes.

Oh, btw, there are ways of creating an all white rat with black eyes and not be a genetically true albino. Most often they selectively breed for a higher and higher white animal, or have control of other specific genes that limit the area that the pigment cells travel to on the body.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast