Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 961

1 members and 960 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: New baby rats!

Thanks

New baby rats!

My female rat just had her first litter and it is my first attempt at breeding rats. I would like to make sure this litter is well socialized and easily handled. When would you guys suggest that I start handling them to make sure this happens. Also at what age should I wean/separate them? I've heard 4 and 5 weeks before but what has worked well for you guys? Also if I want to raise some of them up to be future breeders is it ever safe to put them back in the same tub with the father or is the difference in size/them not growing up together a reason not to put them back together? Sorry for my noobness but this is my first time breeding rats.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

Re: New baby rats!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGeibel View Post
    My female rat just had her first litter and it is my first attempt at breeding rats. I would like to make sure this litter is well socialized and easily handled. When would you guys suggest that I start handling them to make sure this happens. Also at what age should I wean/separate them? I've heard 4 and 5 weeks before but what has worked well for you guys? Also if I want to raise some of them up to be future breeders is it ever safe to put them back in the same tub with the father or is the difference in size/them not growing up together a reason not to put them back together? Sorry for my noobness but this is my first time breeding rats.
    It all depends on your mom. If she is good, you can handle the babies from the first day. I had one female though (that is not longer breeding) that I wouldn't even touch her babies. She would try and take you out! OUCH! Normally though I start playing with the babies about at a week. My kids hold the babies while I clean the cage, or I just pull them out to give mom a break and sometimes I just want to make sure all the babies are okay. I have used my males and retired females to babysit the weanlings successfully. I usually wean at about 5 weeks, but lately most babies go straight to feeding the baby snakes, with few ever making it to weans. All of my adults are mainly on f/t, but they'll eat live too if I have any extras.

Sorry for the rambling post, and I hope that addressed most of your concerns.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

<---- see that picture in my avatar? That's when I start taking them out and playing with them.

I wean at 3 weeks of age and start to play with the rats once their eyes are open. They are curious and dont show any nervousness or shyness. I think it's a great age to take them out and start playing with them. Plus they are adorable!!!

If I have females I need to socialize, I put them into a clear tank/tub when weaned and bring them right into the living room with us. They adapt easier to humans this way in my opinion, and you're much more likely to stop and pick them up and play with them everyday.

They always have a big retired well socialized momma to play with and watch over them. I think it gives them some security to have her there.

Thanks

Ok cool. Thank you. The mom will let me handle the babies. I just didn't want there to be an issue with the mom killing the babies because I had handled them. I'll give it till cleaning day then I'll start.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks

When I bred rats, like Christie said, if the mom lets me I usually handle them as soon as their eyes open.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGeibel View Post
    Ok cool. Thank you. The mom will let me handle the babies. I just didn't want there to be an issue with the mom killing the babies because I had handled them. I'll give it till cleaning day then I'll start.
    If your mom is cool, then I'd go ahead and start now. It's not bad to do a quick check to make sure each baby has a nice full milk band in their tummies.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

If momma lets you touch them, then go right ahead. If you're raising some up for breeders, you'll want them to be as socialized as possible, and once they have their eyes open and are running around, they're less likely to just cuddle and get used to you.