Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,830

2 members and 2,828 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

What a way to wake up

4am my boyfriend comes and lays down in bed and proceeds to tell me "we have a problem". Apparently our 35 gallon hex tank sprung a leak sometime in the middle of the night. About 1/3 of the water came out. Luckily the fish are OK and we just moved them to one of our 55 gallons. Plus it is a good thing my boyfriend is an early riser. He actually got up earlier than normal. We think we might have saved the filter media. We will just have to wait and see. As for the carpet, he is trying to suck up as much as he can with the vacuum (shampoo attachment). But again we got lucky in the fact it's just cement underneath the carpet as the tank is downstairs. So later today I get to go buy a new fish tank. I'll probably just get something close in size to the 35 gallon. We really need to just get a 125 gallon for the Oscars and just use the two 55 gallons for the platys, swordtails, and angels. But neither of us really have that kind of money right now.
    Just wanted to share my lovely wake up call. I'll just finish watching him clean up the mess. Gotta love boyfriends who do that kind of thing.
    REPTILES: Ball Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongue Skink, Corn Snakes, Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Mali Uromastyxs, Sulcata Tortoise, Tokay Geckos, Veiled Chameleons.
    FISH: African Cichlids, Rhino Pleco, Silver Dollars, Tiger Oscars
    MAMMALS: Miniture Pinschers, Cat, ASF's, boyfriend, me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: What a way to wake up

Dang nice catch on the BF's part! Could have been a lot worse, glad to hear the fish are all doing fine.

Make sure you say thank you

Thanks

Can't you just keep them in the 55 gallon they're in now? Tanks can get pretty expensive. D:
    -Abbi [:

1.0.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Axel.
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Seether.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Doby.
    1.2.0 (plus strays I feed!) Cats - Lucky, Kitty, and Meggy.
    0.0.3 Fish - No namesssss.

9.0.0 Rats - Louie, Chessie, Elliot, Eddie, Loki, Andante, Stevie, Igby, and Zigby. (RIP Boys. <3)
    0.1.0 - Tremper Albino Leopard Gecko - Izzy (RIP.)
    1.3.0 - Angus, and the girlie trio. (RIP.)

Too many frozen mice, mealworms, and crickets to count! Don't you love reptiles?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWolf View Post
    4am my boyfriend comes and lays down in bed and proceeds to tell me "we have a problem". Apparently our 35 gallon hex tank sprung a leak sometime in the middle of the night. About 1/3 of the water came out. Luckily the fish are OK and we just moved them to one of our 55 gallons. Plus it is a good thing my boyfriend is an early riser. He actually got up earlier than normal. We think we might have saved the filter media. We will just have to wait and see. As for the carpet, he is trying to suck up as much as he can with the vacuum (shampoo attachment). But again we got lucky in the fact it's just cement underneath the carpet as the tank is downstairs. So later today I get to go buy a new fish tank. I'll probably just get something close in size to the 35 gallon. We really need to just get a 125 gallon for the Oscars and just use the two 55 gallons for the platys, swordtails, and angels. But neither of us really have that kind of money right now.
    Just wanted to share my lovely wake up call. I'll just finish watching him clean up the mess. Gotta love boyfriends who do that kind of thing.
    search your local craigslist, you can usually find 125 gallon aquraiums rather cheap on there. i picked up a few off of craigslist for around 150.00 or under. i did pay 225.00 for one but it came with a oak stand and oak canopy top.

Fairfax, Virginia; Originally from San Antonio, Texas.
    Thanks

First of all, that is horrible that it happened, but wonderful that the boyfriend caught it in time.

And Xana has a great idea there for you!
    Melanie Ryan Seals

2.2 Royal Pythons; Hadrian(het. albino), Lucius(het. hypo), Ophelia(normal) and Regan(het. albino).
    1.0 Homo sapien boyfriendidus; Nick AKA Daddy.s

Thanks

What a way to wake up for sure! I hope your carpet doesnt end up taking to much damage. Either way you get a new tank. I have an oscar and a jack dempsey, messy little buggers. I moved them up from a 55 to a 75, and now i think i may end up having to get a bigger one. Fish are expensive!

Thanks

Well since this happened we have now gotten a 100 gallon tank that currently holds 2 of the Oscars and 3 Silver Dollars. We did get it off Craigslist and only paid $85. So I'd say we got a great deal. lol We have since found homes for all the platies and swordtails and only have Angels and the Bristlenose in the one 55 gallon. So it all worked out for the best.

Thanks

Cant you just seal up the leak?
    I've had tanks leak in the past and just cut all the calk out and resealed,clamped and waited a few days. Never had a leak again.

Thanks

We probably could reseal it and actually that is what the bf wanted to do at first. But since we got such a great deal on the new tanks we just haven't done anything with the 35 gallon hex. I think most likely we'll leave it to be a reptile tank. Bf has been thinking about getting a chameleon. Either that or maybe put the crested gecko in it when it gets bigger. But thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWolf View Post
    As for the carpet, he is trying to suck up as much as he can with the vacuum (shampoo attachment).
    I don't know about you but I would be buying some of them ShamWow's and wait for them to come in. That guy does a pretty good job of convincing me it is what has been missing out of my life.

Mike
    Pastel 0.1
    Mojo 1.0
    100% Het albino 1.1
    50% Het Albino 0.1
    -
    Do you like Texas BBQ? Do you want to know where I will be so you can get some?>>>>>My Catering Company Facebook Page<<<<<
    reptilebasics.com Rich is awesome - texas4x4.org -pirate4x4.com