Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,053

0 members and 3,053 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

How to make your Website "Find-able" online

i was wondering if there was any way to make your website more accessable to people using search engines?

in my control panel for my website, there is a whole section dedicated to inputting keywords and phrases that should make your website come up in search engines. i use 1and1.com by the way. what can i type in there to make my website findable? does this even work?

besides doing that what else can be done and what type of online advertising can be done? and what have you done that works?

thanks guys!

Thanks

Re: How to make your Website "Find-able" online

Hi, I design websites for a living and took a look at your site. After looking at your source code I'm thinking that you used some sort of "wysiwyg" software to write your page. Is this correct? I say this because the code is not in the best order. This might ne one problem. Another problem I see is that you are not using many of the available "meta tags" available to you. Check out the source code and the "meta tags" on my site (www.fyberdesigns.com) and look at the differences.

Make sure each page has the correct meta tags also. It doesn't hurt to add keywords in your image attributes (alt) either. Another trick I do is to change the title text on each page.

How old is the site? Search engines can take some time. If you have any questions, let me know!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Meta tags, keywords, and other tricks help with search engines. As bard said, search engines can take some time.

However, one thing you can think about for making your site find-able is just getting yourself out there, like you're doing here on ballp-pythons.net! For example, as soon as I finish this post, I'm going to open up that link in your siggy and check out what you have(I'm not looking to order anything online from a breeder right now, but I'm keeping a list!)

I'm not sure if there are any other reptile forums out there with a large base of people who are looking for new animals, but surely being active on any could get you some more hits on your site.

That's just one little thought I had, there are more ways to be found than on a search engine. I find myself using search engines less and less these days and trying to find what I'm looking for through other means (wikipedia, forums, etc)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Its called SEO, It doesnt take long for search engines to find your site, it just takes a while to get good spots.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Hi, I design websites for a living and took a look at your site. After looking at your source code I'm thinking that you used some sort of "wysiwyg" software to write your page. Is this correct? I say this because the code is not in the best order. This might ne one problem. Another problem I see is that you are not using many of the available "meta tags" available to you. Check out the source code and the "meta tags" on my site (www.fyberdesigns.com) and look at the differences.

Make sure each page has the correct meta tags also. It doesn't hurt to add keywords in your image attributes (alt) either. Another trick I do is to change the title text on each page.

How old is the site? Search engines can take some time. If you have any questions, let me know!

Bart, i took a look at your site and its awsome. i have no idea how to create a site like that but would love to. i did use a program that came with the hosting called sitebuilder. im not familiar with source code or meta tags and how they work or how to use them. i just used the program and started clicking.

so how can i use meta tags? and how do i add key words to images?

i just recently made it so what do you guys mean that search engines take time?

thanks a lot.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

they are some software programs out there that you can get and it will actually spread your site all over the internet such as search engines like yahoo, google,explorer....etc.

off the topic kind of.... as far as the fyberdesigns site it is a nice site and nice work but what would turn me off and away from having them build me one right off was that unlike alot of webdesign sites there is no prices for any type of basic to ultimate designing packages. thus meaning someone would have to email and wait a while for a response and if people are as impatient as i am it's a quick click on the X button.

Thanks

bigballs, thanks for the kind words. I work at a local university and manage a web/media department and do this stuff everyday. I've been looking for some cage building tips and came upon this site last night and your post.

I think the first thing you need to get is an HTML editor. There are free ones on the internet for download. Although it is not free, I would say the most popular editor out there is Dreamweaver. I use an older program called Homesite (Dreamweaver is based off if it). Once you find an editor you'll be able to view the source code easier.

To see the source code on a page, just right click on the page and choose "view source". You can then copy this text and paste it into your editor. I basically learned this way. I would look at other people's work and kind of "reverse engineer" it.

As xanaxez stated, you can also submit your site to different search engines. Just be careful, if you do it too much, they consider that spamming. I wouldn't do it more than twice a year. Three max.

Search engines use a term called "crawling" to find your site. They have bots searching the entire web looking for new sites and new code to previously made sites. You can help them by having using code properly. If your site doesn't have the correct code, they may take longer to find you or miss you all together.

xanaxez, your right, I don't have any prices listed because every site I do is different and catered to the owner's need. Most small sites that have packages use the same templates over and over. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this but I just think if you want to be successful on the internet, you need to have a different look than everyone else. Also, depending on the site's size, a website can take several weeks to several months to design. It's more than just a click and a payment even though we have all seen sites advertise this. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Thanks

http://www.google.com/addurl/

http://www.submitexpress.com/submit.html

Have you tried http://www.merchantcircle.com

Google, Yahoo and other major search engines crawl your page for it's content. Easy to use and FREE!
    Last edited by mckittie; 01-18-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: More Content
    Check out //// http://bcrexotics.com/