Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,220

2 members and 3,218 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: are these balls worth this price asked?

I don't think anyone was suggesting that nobody should ever buy from someone that posts a dirty picture. Just folks expressing that THEY would choose to pass on something like that and giving their reasons why. A perfectly clean background on a photo is no guarantee of quality....just as a dirty cage is no certainty of illness or scamminess. But each is ONE PIECE of the puzzle you must try to put together yourself each and every time you choose to take the risk of buying an animal online from someone you don't know.
    -- Judy

Thanks

i am kind of at in dilemma. One side of me says YES buy them, do QT, and enjoy your good deal on the bp's. the other side says NO, don't do it. if the snake tank looks like this, what could the other snake and rodent(if he has them) look like? I am very picky about what my snakes get and eat.

that being said i would not get them.
    0.7 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    0.0.1 Sonoran Desert Boa
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    1.24 Breeder Rats
    4.8 Breeder ASF's

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I am also quite curious about the name they have chosen for this picture?

"2008pastel010.jpg"

Were they taking a series of pictures and batch renamed or something?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pythonman View Post
    but you're paying a "dirty tank" price.
    That's an interesting idea ... so is a "respiratory infection" price ok too? How about a "malnourished" price? At what point does disrespecting the animals to the point where a "deal" can justify giving sub standard care of a living creature that relies on it's keeper for health and happyness become acceptable?

These are precious lives that deserve better than to be "dealt cheap" ... not some old pickup truck that the seller is knocking $100 bucks off of cause it needs a wash and some armor all.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Call me charitatble, but those snakes did nothing wrong and might need a good new home....if I can get a nice snake for a good price..kill me but I'd do it...And those snakes don't look malnourished...and to hint that they already have resp. infections is a little harsh...theres also alot more work that needs to be done besides looking at a picture and an ad...I always talk to breeders on the phone and get a feel for what they're like...maybe he's selling them cheap because nobody is buying them for the same price as the reputable breeders...and that pic does look like its in a baby incubator type setting...could be old...who knows..maybe he's selling them cheaper because they're not even ready yet kind of like a reservation...point is if I can get them relatively good shape they'll only get better in my care...and yes they are precious lives...not to be kicked to the curb because they aren't produced by the most "business" minded individual...I also adopt my dogs instead of buy them from breeders...same concept in my head...only in this hobby with these pets...everyone is so concerned about money and "business" and being Donald Trump's next Apprentice they forget why they do this...because we love the snakes...not the breeders....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    That's an interesting idea ... so is a "respiratory infection" price ok too? How about a "malnourished" price? At what point does disrespecting the animals to the point where a "deal" can justify giving sub standard care of a living creature that relies on it's keeper for health and happyness become acceptable?

These are precious lives that deserve better than to be "dealt cheap" ... not some old pickup truck that the seller is knocking $100 bucks off of cause it needs a wash and some armor all.

-adam
    Wow, yeah when you look at it like that it's not that great a deal huh? The "quick sale" mentality, where the animals come second to the money is just wrong! It just shows that someone really does not care about the animals that are in their posession even if it is only for a short time. IDK Adam says it best (as always ) but that's my for what it's worth
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Call me charitatble, but those snakes did nothing wrong and might need a good new home....if I can get a nice snake for a good price..kill me but I'd do it...And those snakes don't look malnourished...and to hint that they already have resp. infections is a little harsh...theres also alot more work that needs to be done besides looking at a picture and an ad...I always talk to breeders on the phone and get a feel for what they're like...maybe he's selling them cheap because nobody is buying them for the same price as the reputable breeders...and that pic does look like its in a baby incubator type setting...could be old...who knows..maybe he's selling them cheaper because they're not even ready yet kind of like a reservation...point is if I can get them relatively good shape they'll only get better in my care...and yes they are precious lives...not to be kicked to the curb because they aren't produced by the most "business" minded individual...I also adopt my dogs instead of buy them from breeders...same concept in my head...only in this hobby with these pets...everyone is so concerned about money and "business" and being Donald Trump's next Apprentice they forget why they do this...because we love the snakes...not the breeders....
    You completely missed the point of my response. I was not suggesting at all that those animals have respiratory infection, are malnourished, or have anything at all wrong with them other than being in a cage that should have been cleaned as soon as it was opened and not after the picture, the next day, the next week etc ... I never brought up anything at all about what those animals are being sold for either ... you did.

My point was that the mentality of saying it's ok for a snake to be in a dirty cage because it's being sold for a "dirty cage price" is disrespectful to those animals. They didn't ask to be in a dirty cage ... they are living creatures and deserve better.

I don't know who the seller is, I don't even remember what the snakes are being sold for, and you know what ... I don't care. But for someone to say that it's acceptable to let animals sit in a dirty cage (even for only 2 seconds) so that a picture can be taken is unbelievable in my opinion.

Don't the snakes deserved to be cleaned first and foremost? Then every thing else taken care of?

If you personally want to rescue animals, get dogs form a kennel, buy from unknown hobbyists or whatever ... good for you ... I have no problem with that ... I'm not telling anyone not to buy from this seller either ... that's NOT MY POINT. But excusing people who believe that it's ok to those animals sit in a dirty cage (even if it's just for a little bit) while they take a picture or do whatever is harming those animals that you care so much about. Think about it. Why not expect more from people ... if you care so much about the animals? Why not ask them to clean a cage before pics are taken? What's the harm?

I'm expressing my belief that those animals deserve to be cleaned at least before the picture is taken ... as keepers, we OWE THEM AT LEAST THAT MUCH.

Or maybe my expectations for people that care for animals is just too high? I sincerely hope that no one that loves animals really feels that way.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

First of all, I don't think $600 for an 08 male Albino with a Het Female (correct me if I am wrong, but someone mentioned that was what was actually being offered-a pair of snakes) is not such an awesome deal.

Second of all, not only would it be in my worst interest to purchase a questionably healthy animal (questionable because it is apparently kept in a dirty tank from what the picture tells me), it would also be telling breeders that have substandard husbandry prices that it is ok to continue to do this because someone will come along and buy their snakes.

Third of all, I think it is a wonderful thing to rescue animals. I have adopted dogs, cats, rabbits, lizards, etc. But I have either found them homeless & taken them in, or I have adopted them from an organization that charged a nominal fee for the care of the animal. I would not purchase an animal in poor conditions from a for-profit breeder. I am very compassionate, but this would just be reinforcing less than optimal breeding environments.

Again, this is my opinion. I am not saying that everyone needs to think the same way that I do. However, we as consumers (& breeders, etc.) have the power to require that the animals we acquire be in the best of health (which requires good husbandry practices).
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

Agree to disagree then...but you're not going to adopt albino ball pythons...this is the closest thing to helping one out in need anyone will ever get....otherwise if he is a shabby breeder theyre going to sit there in poor condition for the rest of their lives...poor snakes...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Agree to disagree then...but you're not going to adopt albino ball pythons...this is the closest thing to helping one out in need anyone will ever get....otherwise if he is a shabby breeder theyre going to sit there in poor condition for the rest of their lives...poor snakes...
    Maybe the question needs to be adjusted a bit.

Rather than "Are these snakes worth it?".....because the snakes are worth whatever you're willing to pay for them...their value is defined solely between the seller and the buyer.

A better question to define the discussion thus far would be "What is the risk to buy from someone who would use this kind of picture to promote his business and is it worth that risk?" The answer to that question will differ between many people.
    -- Judy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast