Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,798

4 members and 2,794 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 629 Posts

So I have this snake and she is just a nutter...

I have this little female I hatched out about a month or more ago... I know I could look it up, but that would mean getting out of my chair and I like this chair.

She is just a nutter. I can walk by the rack and I hear this *thump* *thump* *thump*... very rythmic and almost calming till I realize it is her thumping the front of the enclosure.

As I feed the hatchlings she will do it. Same with hitting her pup or hopper, she'll hit it repeatedly without taking it. Yet, she does feed so that isn't a concern.

But oh man. I feel just sick about it. I love my rats and hearing a rat pup screaming... not just mewing... really is a horrid thing.

As I open the tub she tries to tag me, when I clean her enclosure... when I change her water.... you get the idea.

I am really not sure of what to do with her. I am not a noob, I have good husbandry, my rack is in a quiet place, I drape it at night and during feedings. I do not handle her. She has as much acclimation and downtime as the others, which really is all the time.

I am keeping her as I am holding back all my females from this season.

I thought she might chill a bit, but this snake started snapping 12 hours out of the egg and hasn't stopped since.

Any advice or anecdotes?

As is, I have a piece of chloroplast I put in front of her in order to change the dish, etc. And I drape her with a papertowel and then slide her to move her when I change the enclosure.

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: So I have this snake and she is just a nutter...

Any advice or anecdotes?
    No advice but I have name suggestions for a psycho like that
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    No advice but I have name suggestions for a psycho like that
    Hah... I can think of a few... I am sure if we wrote them separate and compared we would come up at least with one the same.

I actually named her Lydia. After the girl in the She Wants Revenge video... only cause I love the song and the vid and the girl.

I wish I had held back with the horror heroine names... all the girls from the first clutch were Carrie, Rosemary and Mae.

I am sure I could have found something darker for Ms. Lydia but I already named the little Thayeri king Demonika.

Bruce

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=LXd-39W_qZU
    Last edited by Bruce Whitehead; 09-30-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have one idenical to what you are describing, only she is 1400g!! Makes her very difficult to deal with. This will be her first breeding season and I hope that will settle her a bit. Good luck with her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    I have one idenical to what you are describing, only she is 1400g!! Makes her very difficult to deal with. This will be her first breeding season and I hope that will settle her a bit. Good luck with her.
    I think about that daily... "do I really want to be pulling 2kg of this particular snake off of a clutch of eggs?" Conversely, she would make an abyssmal pet so I could never sell her, and I kind of like the snakes with attitude, but she has to get to someplace more workable at some point... or does she?

Bruce
    Praying for Stinger Bees

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not that I have the least bit of experience with seriously snappy snakes in large colonies....but a couple of thoughts come to mind:

1. Make sure whatever tub she's in is at a level that is the safest for you to look and reach into...not too high and not too low. Which you've probably already figured out. LOL

The other thing, 2. Maybe you could pre-kill the rats so they don't get so beat up by the psycho-snake? Might just come down to a choice of which is most difficult for you to endure.

She sounds like a very interesting animal. Does she make up in looks what she lacks in docility?
    -- Judy

Thanks

I have a little pastel girl that hatched a few weeks ago and she started snapping before she was completely out of the egg! She snaps at EVERYTHING!!! If I am holding her she snaps at the tub, at me, at my desk, pretty much everything she can reach. So far she has not eaten for me, but she does repeatedly tag the mice.....Not sure what to do with her, I have never had a snappy BP before.....if you find a soultion PLEASE let me know!
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post

1. Make sure whatever tub she's in is at a level that is the safest for you to look and reach into...not too high and not too low. Which you've probably already figured out. LOL
    Yeah crazy lips is in the middle of the hatchling rack, but I have to bend down to get to her... as is I am opening the tub at arm`s length and from the side...

The other thing, 2. Maybe you could pre-kill the rats so they don't get so beat up by the psycho-snake?
    Once she has been eating for awhile I will do that. But I am hoping she`ll stop beating her little rats up. It really is a horrid thing.

She sounds like a very interesting animal. Does she make up in looks what she lacks in docility?
    She is pretty. She`s a nice high yellow and gold. Nothing stunning about her markings, but like all her siblings she has some nice flames and blushings.

Not sure she is pretty enough to be getting away with what she is though. I may have to talk to her about that one...
    Praying for Stinger Bees

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just handle her daily for a short period of time, she'll calm down. I have a 1500 Gram girl that is like that, but if I have her in my hand she calms down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Whitehead View Post
    Hah... I can think of a few... I am sure if we wrote them separate and compared we would come up at least with one the same.

I actually named her Lydia. After the girl in the She Wants Revenge video... only cause I love the song and the vid and the girl.

I wish I had held back with the horror heroine names... all the girls from the first clutch were Carrie, Rosemary and Mae.

I am sure I could have found something darker for Ms. Lydia but I already named the little Thayeri king Demonika.

Bruce

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=LXd-39W_qZU
    God, I love that song and video.
    She Wants Revenge is fantastic.

Hmm.. have you tried feeding her a bit more per meal?
    I'm not too experienced with this, but maybe the less hungry she is, the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast