Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,114

1 members and 3,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"They are not good climbers"...

Unless they have the opportunity, of course. Or, should I say, at least my pastel is.
    One evening, I arrived home and some a little tail hanging

As i got closer, I understood: her cage is an herptek 24"x24"x20"(h). There is a small gap between the top of the cage and the top of the front glasses. Somehow she climbed up and was just hanging there.
    The angle is very difficult for pictures, but I think you can see better in this one.

As you can see the are no perches or hides close to the front glasses to give her leverage up. So, she is an excelente climber !

I helped her down, just in case.

However, the next evening she did the same thing. But that time she was hanging her head down (like a chondro hunting). I let her be (sorry, wasnīt able to take pics)
    Later on she came down by her own.
    She keeps doing this sometimes, usually in the evenings. Then she cames down to one of her hides.

Iīve seen this done by boas, but not by BPīs.
    Interesting, hey ?

Thanks

Re: "They are not good climbers"...

Lol, that's pretty cool I wonder if she was climbing up the glass or if she was just using her branches and stuff to get over there. I've heard some snakes will intentionally get their bellies wet and then use their body like a suction cup almost to climb up glass
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

Adam,

I couldnīt say for sure because I havenīt seen her (yet) climbing.

But the branches are very far away from the spot she chose, and I donīt think it would be possible for her to reach it from the branches. My guess, considering the high and her size, is that she just climbs the glasses - or maybe the corner - and then pulls her body up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
    Adam,

I couldnīt say for sure because I havenīt seen her (yet) climbing.

But the branches are very far away from the spot she chose, and I donīt think it would be possible for her to reach it from the branches. My guess, considering the high and her size, is that she just climbs the glasses - or maybe the corner - and then pulls her body up
    Ahhh ok I couldn't really tell her size from the pics . I was thinkin either she was pretty small or the cage was bigger. Still it is funny the little places they can find to get into sometimes
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

Sheīs around 300gr

Thanks

My male pastel does that in his tub he climbs all around the top of the enclosure... I think the Myth that BPs cant climb well is:

BUSTED...
    ~Just Call Me RJ~

1.0 Kahl Line Albino Boa: Creamsicle
    1.0 Sun Glow(Kahl): Logan
    1.0 Poss Super hypo Poss Het T+ CA Nicaraguan Boa: Brutis
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Jungle PC Aby: Po
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Harlequin: Joker
    0.1 Hypo Reverse Stripe: Harley Quinn
    0.1 T+ Nicaraguan Boa: Dulce

Tru-Boaz.com

Thanks

Oh they can climb just fine...as youngsters. You just don't want to give a 1000g+ snake with a body as thick as a can the opportunity to try it and end up falling on something.

I have two little ones that love to climb. My spider girl lives up to her morph name, as she is all over her tank every night, climbing over her plants and tree. My male pastel, despite the kinked back, still loves to climb...tho he is slowing down now that he's approaching 500g.

The 'myth' is true - BPs are not good climbers. It's just that no one told the babies that.
    Just look at bears: the cubs are awesome climbers, but the adults never even try. They just get to a point where they're too clumsy and heavy to do it anymore.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentra View Post
    Oh they can climb just fine...as youngsters. You just don't want to give a 1000g+ snake with a body as thick as a can the opportunity to try it and end up falling on something.

I have two little ones that love to climb. My spider girl lives up to her morph name, as she is all over her tank every night, climbing over her plants and tree. My male pastel, despite the kinked back, still loves to climb...tho he is slowing down now that he's approaching 500g.

The 'myth' is true - BPs are not good climbers. It's just that no one told the babies that.
    Just look at bears: the cubs are awesome climbers, but the adults never even try. They just get to a point where they're too clumsy and heavy to do it anymore.
    Depends on the bear but I get yer point.. It is true you do rarely see the adults in trees or on limbs lol
    ~Just Call Me RJ~

1.0 Kahl Line Albino Boa: Creamsicle
    1.0 Sun Glow(Kahl): Logan
    1.0 Poss Super hypo Poss Het T+ CA Nicaraguan Boa: Brutis
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Jungle PC Aby: Po
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Harlequin: Joker
    0.1 Hypo Reverse Stripe: Harley Quinn
    0.1 T+ Nicaraguan Boa: Dulce

Tru-Boaz.com

Thanks

Granted. Sun Bears adore climbing at any age. But the 'well known' species such as Grizzly and Black are what I was referring to.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

I see your point Argentra. But Iīve seen people advising against climbing elements even for hatchlings with the argument under topic.

And taking your owns words, Iīd say that the same way a grown up bear will not try to climb a tree; a thick bodied BP that grows in an environment with branches will also, as she grows, restraint herself gradually from this adventures and remain more grounded

On the opposite situation, that is if she always lived in a 6"h tube and suddenly is exposed to a branch sheīll explore it and... with no training at all, most likely will fall (and possibly get injured)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast