Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,215

1 members and 3,214 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Multiple Hides ???

Multiple Hides ???

I know I am likely to stir a giant pot here but I have a question. As previously mentioned it has been a good number of years that I had not kept snakes but in my past I had many reptiles and kept them very happy, feeding and doing their thing for as long as I had them [everything from balls, kings, igs, and even a wild caught rattler (cute little fellow he was)].

Concerning hides, it appears that is very in fad to keep two hides, one on warm side one on opposite side, but here is my question. Is it typical for a Ball that lives in the wild to occupy multiple holes, dependant on temp? And if so are we to believe that they are really so picky as to only pick two identical holes? I understand that there is a fear of an animal overheating or under heating in search of cover of comfort, but I would say this would not be the norm, more the exception. This being the case, isn't it safe to assume, on a majority of cases, if provided the essentials [fresh water, fresh substrate, ample food, warm, cool and basking areas, and cover for when they choose to, are not most animals going to thrive? Or is all of this precaution partly due to the issue with Balls being so picky sometimes, along with all of the issues that everyone has gone thru with wild caught animals of the past? I know I am rambling on and what not, but isn't there more than one way to go about it? I see so many times, someone posts asking for input and instead they are given a shopping list. What works for some, may not work for others. In basic terms, each of our dwellings that these snake live in are micro systems and each is going to be very different.

My ball is very happy, feeding on live small/med rats every 7 days, loves going outside, walks on the beach, etc. She is very scheduled on her time in her hide, on her limb over the water and basking in the heat lamp when it is on [on timer]. She does very well self regulating, does not look around like she is looking to escape, never shown any sign of aggression and since the kids and I handle her daily, she does not pull back any time you try to pick her up or touch her. She is very alert and doing very well. Temps and Humidity is all in check. One half log hide, large water dish, limb, and Repitbark Substrate [used to be aspen, but changed to the bark as I like the way it looks as seems to give her a better base to move around on]. Also holds the temp probes where I want them to ensure proper belly temp monitoring.

Sorry if these comments incite any ill feelings, rage, half log hating, blurred vision, restless legs syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, soft stool, nausea, keyboard trauma, or generalized unpleasant thoughts.

Peace and love. Just my two pennies worth.

Thanks

Re: Multiple Hides ???

I only keep 1 hide, on the warm side. I also keep all of mine in tubs which are in a rack.

I think 2 hides is overkill unless they are in an all glass aquarium.

Thanks

I think you have to do what works for that specific snake in your specific enclosure. Some ball pythons are incredibly shy or very picky about what hides they will use, others aren't. Some live in open glass enclosures in a busy livingroom, others live in dark racks in a quiet snake room.

Generally when we give advice here we try to give the basics, the most common sense, general advice that will start a newcomer to snakekeeping off on a good track. As they develop their own sense of what works for their own snake, they'll change and tweak things and that's a good thing really as long as it's always done for the benefit of that snake.
    ~~Joanna~~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

rjks325 (11-28-2009)

Thanks

In the wild if a ball python doesn't like the temperature where it is at, it has the option of leaving and finding a burrow that suits it better. When we confine them to an enclosure we take that option away from them. Therefore if you utilize a UTH, it makes good sense to place one hide near the UTH and one at the cool end to provide the snake some options to be comfortable. That said, I use 2 hides in cages and only 1 in a rack. I don't like the 1/2 log hides for two reasons. They are porous and therefore less sanitary and they don't allow a snake to conceal itself entirely which I can only speculate may leave the snake feeling less secure. Your methods are not revolutionary or controversial. Many people use them successfully.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FIREball View Post
    I only keep 1 hide, on the warm side. I also keep all of mine in tubs which are in a rack.

I think 2 hides is overkill unless they are in an all glass aquarium.
    I have a 20L all glass but the back and one side is blocked with a background. The top is also foil covered cardboard to help keep the humid levels up with a cut out for vent and light.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsirkle View Post
    Your methods are not revolutionary or controversial. Many people use them successfully.
    Not really proclaiming to be either, just curious why some have a 'my way or the highway' approach. I totally agree that forums such as these are a valuable resource for just about any interest one might have as I belong to many ranging from from archery, hunting, offroading & outdorrs, to hockey, politics, going green, community improvement, tattoos, music, photography, and of course our beloved replites. But some of what I read here almost comes off as speaking down to some of the newbs. Just think a "hey, this is what I have done, maybe it will work for you" has more milage than "dump this, buy that, set this on that, etc". Like I said at the beginning, just my $.02. :-)

Thanks

While I agree there may have been previous responses lacking in a general tone of humanity. I highly dissagree that this is the norm. on this specific forum. I have found the majority of people on here to be open, inciteful, and polite. While I respect your difference in opinion, I do not agree with your opinion of a majority of folks on this forum. It simply isn't true. Thanks, and keep up the cnversation pieces. F.N.
    Last edited by dr del; 09-28-2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: removing censored smiles and replacing them with the word in italics
    Before you knock it try it first, you may find it's a blessing and not a curse.

1.1 normal BP's
    0.1 Pitbull
    1.0 mutt

Thanks

While I agree there may have been previous responses lacking in a general tone of humanity. I highly dissagree that this is the norm. on this specific forum. I have found the majority of people on here to be open, inciteful, and polite. While I respect your difference in opinion, I do not agree with your opinion of a population of mannerless jerks on this forum. I hardly think it's worth making mention of. Let alone inciting a division of the community. Yes some things work for some people, while others do not. Everything is relative to each person and their situation. So bringing up the fact of a situation being circumstancial has nothing to do with hides. Just participate without adding angst. Thanks! T.F.N.
    Before you knock it try it first, you may find it's a blessing and not a curse.

1.1 normal BP's
    0.1 Pitbull
    1.0 mutt

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

You need to do what works for you based on the fact that you know what work best for your animal(s)

Now when it comes to someone that has no previous experience with Ball Pythons there are things that I would recommend for their animals and 2 hides is one of them, it is based on experience and what I know will help a new owner provide optimum husbandry.

Once they gain the experience and know their animal they can/should experience and see what work best for them.

Personally I use one hide, some use it some don’t, however I would rather provide an hide to a BP that does not need it than not providing one to an animal that might. I do this based on MY animals and my current setting.

Occasionally I offer 2 hides (for young head shy animals) but it is rare, again it all comes down to know what work for each animal.

So as you can see what I recommend is not what I do.

Finally remember that captivity cannot be compared to the wild.
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

rjks325 (11-28-2009)

Thanks

oops, mods please delete, this post was an error
    TIMOTHY W. HURKMANS

" Do you really believe that what you believe is really real ? "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast