Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

1 members and 3,093 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible lameness

Just a quick note while I gather my thoughts. My latest litter of ASF's have confused me for a little while. They are approximately 5-6 weeks of age, and today I have finally confirmed my suspicions.

It appears at least 3 of my asf's have a lameness about them, they walk irregularly. I could never completely decide what was going on, because they do walk, just awkwardly that tricks the eye into thinking its a shy crawl/walk, but today I watched one of my males on a wheel and he definitely does not walk straight.

The best way I can describe it right now is they extend their legs at the hip joint almost straight out sideways instead of underneath them to walk. It is only observable in their back legs, their front ones are perfectly fine.

So far it appears to mostly be the females, since I have only observed it in their tank. There happens to be one male in the same tank, and he also appears to have this deformity.

I dont know if they all happen to have broken limbs, or if it is genetic in nature, but it has certainly stunted their growth. Each one of the lame asf's is smaller then their litter mates.

I'll attempt to take a video if I can, I am cleaning their tank tonight so hopefully I will remember to record how they walk.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Possible lameness

I have just looked at my other two tubs with this same litter, and there is at least one male in each that is lame as well, and also smaller than the rest of his brothers.

Thanks

i just cleaned bins today and i don't think i see any lame ones in ours but usually we do feed off the smaller ones aka runts early to allow the bigger stronger ones to survive. If you are possibly looking for some new blood for yours we are in michigan and i just counted 72 weaned babies this afternoon from five groups.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadi11 View Post
    i just cleaned bins today and i don't think i see any lame ones in ours but usually we do feed off the smaller ones aka runts early to allow the bigger stronger ones to survive. If you are possibly looking for some new blood for yours we are in michigan and i just counted 72 weaned babies this afternoon from five groups.
    Well, thats something I should explain.

This litter was from a pairing of 1.3 litter mates. They were from an outcrossed pairing of unrelated parents from 2 different lines.

I've discussed it further with one person on ASFrats.info, and we both sort of think it may be a bad pregnancy.

This litter may possibly be from two mothers from the group. I was originally going to sell them or feed them off because as far as I could tell only one female had a litter, and it just wasnt good production for me to keep them.

But, it is possible that one other female gave birth to a very small litter, and maybe she had a rough pregnancy. Only one female of the 3 ever looked pregnant.

My count so far is 6 rats have this walking disorder, and they are all smaller than the others. I've taken a video and I'm trying to find a way to upload high quality so I can post it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post

This litter was from a pairing of 1.3 litter mates. They were from an outcrossed pairing of unrelated parents from 2 different lines.
    Sorry, should have read...

This litter was from a 1.3 of litter mates (brother bred to sisters), and their parents are unrelated, from two different lines.

Thanks

i see well we try not to put brother and sister together as im sure you don't try to either. But it is really hard for use to outcross our rats anymore due to the fact that we have run out of breeders to buy from in the taylor show.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Pretty interesting stuff connie...

Shadi, there is nothing wrong with putting siblings together as a breeding group as long is you don't do it many times in a row. Many of us make our best breeding groups out of sibling pairings.

Connie, do you think it is possible that the parents / grandparents / and so on may have had it and you just didn't identify it???

I guess the easiest way to see if it is genetic or a bad pregnancy is to see if the next round of babies also have it.

I have never seen anything like you are talking about.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shadi11 View Post
    i see well we try not to put brother and sister together as im sure you don't try to either. But it is really hard for use to outcross our rats anymore due to the fact that we have run out of breeders to buy from in the taylor show.
    Sounds like a few of us need to meet at the Taylor show and trade ASF's to freshen up all our genetic lines.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I am aware that breeding siblings together is considered acceptable practice and to get some of our solid color asf's we have combined siblings together. We do however try to keep our stock fresh because we have seen what happens to over inbreed babies, they don't tend to be as large as adults and they loose their bulging eyes and start looking way to much like mice. i saw some soft furs that were supposedly adults and they looked like large mice. I was told they were retired breeders. She told me she gets around 10 babies at a time i tend to get 17+ babies. So that is what i was referring to.

Thanks

Tried to edit and add this but it wouldnt work
    I got mine from 4 different lines. The most I have bred back is a set of siblings normally.. I also refresh my stock when I notice the size are smaller and things like that... I am usually at the taylor show every month although my soft furs sell out right away so if you want some let me know and I will set them aside. I will not be there this comming month though. We choose to go to Tinley instead

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast