Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,812

1 members and 2,811 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question ohhhh Becky.... - hookworms

well I finally got the results of my snakes fecal and we have hook worms. I really want beckys input here cuz from what I can gather she knows her stuff (all comments are welcome). What are they? How did he get them? and generally how much does it cost to treat? also I was informed of 3 treatment options: drugging a feeder mouse then giving it to the snake; injections (the vet didnt recomend this because hes only a wee fella); and doing it with a rubber feeding tube. thx!

Thanks

Re: ohhhh Becky.... - hookworms

Panacur, red rubber feeding tube. Treat once, then treat again in 2 weeks.

Hookworms are awful. They suck blood and can make the snake anemic.

I would not feed for the duration of the treatment. It can mess up their gut flora and possibly cause a regurgitation. I would wait until a week after the second treatment or just feed smaller meals.

Here's a good site that explains what they are and what they can do. Yay cutaneous migration! (okay.. ew)

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_hookworms.html
    Last edited by SatanicIntention; 09-23-2008 at 10:25 PM.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

I hate seeing threads like this. Any kind of parasite is always a bummer. Its nice getting random fecals done and having em come back SPOTLESS!!

Anywho, Ive heard "Gut loading" a mouse with whatever drug you need, is ineffective. Just what i remember reading somewhere. My vet and i always do the red catheter and then fill the syringe again with a little water and then gives that to flush all the drugs down.

Thanks

It says they can infect humans. Ok now im scared am I at risk?

Thanks

Just wash your hands, no licking the snake's rear and don't step in the poo. You'll be fine If you're worried, swallow some pyrantel(it tastes like banana or vanilla depending on the manufacturer).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Wow talk about bad timing, were set to go to the vet today and hes pretty much going to shed any minute now, his eyes went from cloudy to clear. also, I wonder should I change the subtrate hes in after hsi first needle or when hes compleatly done treatment?

Thanks

Go with the injection, less stressful on the snake. I inject 6g hognose that have ri's without an issue. A 40g or so bp would be so easy compared to them (just throwing a weight figure out there).
    Jenea
    GuardianReptiles.com

"The irrational fear of snakes is the only excuse a grown man has to act like a complete sissy" - Colchicine