Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,751

0 members and 2,751 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hairless rats?

Thanks

Re: Hairless rats?

Sorry connie I meant standard fur... It was my male beige hooded Rex to his black berk Rex daughter.... No super rexes no beiges just a bunch of Rex black hoodeds and berk andnormal black berk and hoodeds!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    The original Harley rat was found in a feeder tank in a pet store and was a siamese(or himalayan.. hard to tell).

Awesome stuff Becky! Lord knows where I picked up the Russian Blue story, must be for some other trait. *thinking thinking*

All I know is I would love to have a harley rat!

Justin, I remember your rats story and the only thing I can figure is she wasn't bred by her father, or her father isnt a true beige, or he could possibly not be her true father. Who knows!

Breed them again and see what you get!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Awesome stuff Becky! Lord knows where I picked up the Russian Blue story, must be for some other trait. *thinking thinking*

All I know is I would love to have a harley rat!

Justin, I remember your rats story and the only thing I can figure is she wasn't bred by her father, or her father isnt a true beige, or he could possibly not be her true father. Who knows!

Breed them again and see what you get!
    I only have one male. He must not be a true beige then... I need to get better pics!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    The original Harley rat was found in a feeder tank in a pet store and was a siamese(or himalayan.. hard to tell).

There is a true hairless, which has NO hair whatsoever. They have alot of health problems and are generally only in labs. Then you have the fuzzy hairless, they all have short curly/kinky whiskers. Some have slight fuzzy hair, some are very hairless. It varies. Then you have the double rex/morphing hairless which generally don't have the reproduction problems that hairless and true hairless have.

DO NOT breed true hairless or hairless rats. They do not produce well, if at all, and will likely end up in miscarriage, hemorrhaging, don't lactate, or just don't know how to be a mother.
    If you breed a "true hairless" (the common hairless rat, not double rex) male to a true hairless carrier female, there aren't any of the same issues as breeding a true hairless female. Some people do still breed the hairless girls, but from what I've noticed, they always have smaller litters if they're successful at raising any babies (maybe half of them died and the breeders are just leaving that part out?). You would get just as many hairless if breeding a hairless to a female hairless carrier, but without any of the risks of loosing the litter.

Thanks

"All I know is I would love to have a harley rat!"

At one point in time, I had three black self velveteen girls who carried harley and the siamese gene. Unfortunately, I never did get to breed these girls, and the breeder I got them from has "disappeared".
    http://www.skyclyde.com/Harley.html
    I doubt it will happen, but, I'd love to have some of their rats flown in. I wouldn't mind getting the harley gene, black eye siamese, burmese, dwarves, down unders, etc. But, I think my husband would kill me.

Edit: Well, forget that, apparantly they stopped shipping and slowed on breeding and such. :/ Shame.

Stangs, when you breed two rexes together, you should get about 25% standard fur, 50% rex and 25% double rex (hairless/patchwork). You missed out on the double rexes (nature never follows the rules to a T), but if you breed again, you should get some doubles in there as well.

Thanks

Well, I did find a breeder with dumbos, hairless and rex, so, within the next month or two, I'll be picking up some smexy breeders.

Thanks

Hilloah hasn't disappeared. If you had some of her rats, I hope you had her permission to breed them... She takes great pride in her rats.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

No, I honestly can't remember the person's name, however, I don't think that was who it was. The breeder was from Pennsylvania. And yes, I did have permission from the breeder to breed the trio. When filling out an application, I'm honest, if they feel they cannot sell to me for whatever reason, I respect that, though it hasn't happened yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123