Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

2 members and 2,906 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Can any mouse be socialized?

I have two mice - Maui and Mai Tai.

I ended up with them when my brother called and said he had bought them for his little girl but his wife refused to have it in the house. I took them because I think mice are pretty cute anyways.

However, they are Petco mice and I've heard they are unsocialized and prone to getting sick. I'm taking them to my vets to have them get a check up - but I'm concerned about socializing them. I have no idea how old they are - and they go flying into hiding when I open the cage.. I know to expect this now - every day I try to do stuff in their cage so they get used to me - including putting my hands down on the bedding so I smell more "mousy".

I also try to do other things (read a book) and put my hand flat in the tank with seeds on it while not really "paying attention" to them so they go on my hand to eat - but so far no luck. I know it takes time, so I'm not worried about it going slow, but if they are too old is there a chance they won't get used to me?
    -Stacey

1.0 Ball Python... Stanley (gotta start somewhere..)
    0.3 Mice .... Maui, Mango and Mai Tai, aka Satan's spawn
    1.0 Bunny Rabbit... William, aka Bill the Bunny, aka Bill-Bo

"Honos Habet Onus"

Thanks

Re: Can any mouse be socialized?

You're doing the right thing. Pet store mice are really skitish at first.

The putting you're hand in tank and not paying attention to it is the way I got all my mice used to me. It took a few days but after that I had trouble keeping some them in the tank, they'd skitter up my arm so fast. Others not so friendly and still take some coaxing.

My mice are breeders so I don't spend as much time with them as I could.

Just keep up what you're doing. The older the mice the harder it is to gain trust but it can be done.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

www.rodentworks.net Local to Bremerton, WA
    >Rats >Mice >ASF >Rabbits >Custom racks/cages

Thanks

Smile Re: Can any mouse be socialized?

From experience, I've found that mice, out of all small animals, are the hardest to tame. They need more attention then a rat, rabbit, guinea pig, gerbil..etc. They also need a lot more time and patience from the owner.

Its going to be really hard, but keep doing what your doing. They are nocturnal and are more active from dusk until dawn, so probably the best time to try and handle them, and not freak them out is closer to bed time.

Also try and feed them theyre own every day food with your hands. Even try some fruits and veggies,or some kind of food that will grab theyre attention so that they are more willing to come to you.

Other than that, you just gotta wait it out, see what happens. The worst possible outcome would probably be that they will never let you handle them, but will be curious about you and your hand when you put it in the cage.

Just try and interact with them every day (without trying to grab them because that would really freak them out) and put them in a darker place during the day so they wont get any psychological problems from sleeping in pure daylight

I hope the best for you! keep trying!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohanaCS View Post
    and put them in a darker place during the day so they wont get any psychological problems from sleeping in pure daylight
    Don't leave them in the dark all the time! Mice like all animals need a natural light cycle. They should have light during the day with the option of hiding, not 24 hours of darkness.

Just don't put them in direct sunlight or directly under a lamp.
    ~TruthsDeceit~
    My house? ... 13 snakes, 3 geckos, a tarantula, a boyfriend, a roommate (yes the roommate and boyfriend make the "animals" list), 3 cats, a roach colony and don't ask me to count the rodents.

Thanks

hahaha I apologize for not detailing that. I don't mean put them in the basement, in the corner with no light at all. What I meant was darker then having your window completely open on them so they have pur daylight on them. thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohanaCS View Post
    hahaha I apologize for not detailing that. I don't mean put them in the basement, in the corner with no light at all. What I meant was darker then having your window completely open on them so they have pur daylight on them. thanks!
    I realized that but thought it needed some clearing up.
    ~TruthsDeceit~

Thanks

if it has been too stressed like being grabbed and held behid the neck or worse, it can never be socialized, however pet store my can be socialized very easy, especially their newborn babies.