Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,827

2 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Cat not a good eater?

So, our cat, Binka has never been a big eater. If I fill her food dish it's another 3 days (at least) before I have to fill it again. I always thought just doesn't have much of an appetite. We've tried different brands, always with the same result.

About a month ago I bought a case of canned food. Just to supplement the dry food and make sure she's getting enough nutrients. I've been giving her a can a week and she usually has eaten it by the end of the day.

Today, I gave her a little piece of ham- it's processed so pretty soft. I sat there and watched her trying to eat it for 10-15 minutes. She chewed and chewed and only got a little piece off in the end before giving up. This got me thinking...

I've mentioned before that we very strongly suspect that she was taken from her mother a couple weeks too early. Could that cause her to not be very skilled at eating? Maybe she isn't eating much dry food because it's hard for her?

What do you guys think? Should I switch to straight canned food? Mix it with the dry? Wet the dry so it's softer? Keep doing what I'm doing? Am I just over thinking things, as usual?
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Re: Cat not a good eater?

First thing that came to my mind is, she might have really sensitive teeth for some reason. if it took her a long time to eat the meat, she maybe in pain about something. i would continue the wet food and maybe just get a vet check up for her teeth!

mind you, i'm pretty dumb though!

Good luck
    "Why do you need so many snakes?"
    "Why do you need so many shoes?"

Thanks

That's actually something that I didn't think of! Thanks, Tyree!

And also- I didn't mention in my OP that she is not underweight by any means. She has a small frame but fits it well.
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reediculous View Post
    First thing that came to my mind is, she might have really sensitive teeth for some reason. if it took her a long time to eat the meat, she maybe in pain about something. i would continue the wet food and maybe just get a vet check up for her teeth!

mind you, i'm pretty dumb though!

Good luck
    Hey not so dumb, since that was my thought as well. If you can, you might want to check her mouth and make sure she doesn't have any sores or abcessed teeth.

How old is she now? (your best guess) I'd go to the canned food if she eats it better, or try soaking her dry food in some water. You may want to consider a vet visit, if she doesn't perk up soon.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Her teeth/gums look good. Light pink all around. I'm thinking you guys may be on to something, though...

We got her April 10th. At that time I think she was MAYBE 6 weeks old. So that would make her a little over 5 months old now. When we got her, it was from a lady who had picked her up 2 weeks earlier, but found out her living situation would be changing and just couldn't keep her. So we showed up to get her and she definitely didn't look like she should even be completely weined yet. She's displayed some behaviors since that convince us that she was taken from mom too early. She's a needy little girl, but we love her!
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess View Post
    Her teeth/gums look good. Light pink all around. I'm thinking you guys may be on to something, though...

We got her April 10th. At that time I think she was MAYBE 6 weeks old. So that would make her a little over 5 months old now. When we got her, it was from a lady who had picked her up 2 weeks earlier, but found out her living situation would be changing and just couldn't keep her. So we showed up to get her and she definitely didn't look like she should even be completely weined yet. She's displayed some behaviors since that convince us that she was taken from mom too early. She's a needy little girl, but we love her!

Poor little thing ........ at least shes not loosing weight over it. hope you figure it out. i would put money on something going on in the back of her mouth. good luck with her, keep us posted!

Thanks

Here's the thread I posted when we first got her home- she was all head! Didn't weigh a thing! Now she's just barely at the 5lb mark and seems like she's done growing.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=64563
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by python.princess View Post
    Here's the thread I posted when we first got her home- she was all head! Didn't weigh a thing! Now she's just barely at the 5lb mark and seems like she's done growing.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=64563

i remember that thread ........ i have confidence your figure it out! your the best!

Thanks

Thanks, Tyree... Okay... I'll admit it... You're not too bad either! Don't even wanna B-slap ya!
    ~melanie~

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Actually, canned (wet) food is better for them than dry. If she'll eat a full can in one day, I'd make that her primary food, and just leave dry out for her to nibble on.

When I got Sammy and Lexi, I got obsessive about cat nutrition and had my eyes really opened. When I do feed dry, I like to feed a very high quality dry (like Innova Evo brand). In males, too much dry can lead to urinary crystals. I also obsessively read the labels. I don't want any corn or corn products in my dry. I want real meat and chicken meal as the first five ingredients in the list.

This site has been very helpful: http://www.thecatsite.com (where I met Isis and lured her here from! LOL) and

http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf

http://www.catinfo.org

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast