Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,721

3 members and 2,718 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes! He ATE!

Thanks

Talking Yes! He ATE!

For the first time my baby BP ate! Here are some snapshots, o yeah and comment on the python as well! He was toying with it a lot, trying to figure out how to get it into his mouth, but in the end he successfully ate two! Yes!
    Spud is a 100% Het. Albino Male BP. He is 2 weeks old.

Hope you enjoy the lovely pictures (heheheh, i did it with a video so the pics are kind a blurry and glassy cuz he was in his tank as he he eats, I am a better photographer, as you shall see later!)

Thanks for all, guys.

BPs FOREVER
    1 Het. BP--Spud
    Begginning of Mouse Colony

Thanks

Re: Yes! He ATE!

Don't use dirt for substrate! There are nasty organisms that live in dirt! Go to the Ball python Husbandry Forums and READ READ READ! I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm just worried about your ball python. See how the dirt sticks to the mouse? That is not good!!! I use blank paper for my ball python. Also if no one has told you already Thaw the mouse at room temperature in a bag or in warm ( not hot) water in a bag. Do not thaw the mouse in water as most ball pythons will refuse to eat wet prey.
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

Thanks

Wink Re: Yes! He ATE!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGuardian View Post
    Don't use dirt for substrate! There are nasty organisms that live in dirt! Go to the Ball python Husbandry Forums and READ READ READ! I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm just worried about your ball python. See how the dirt sticks to the mouse? That is not good!!! I use blank paper for my ball python. Also if no one has told you already Thaw the mouse at room temperature in a bag or in warm ( not hot) water in a bag. Do not thaw the mouse in water as most ball pythons will refuse to eat wet prey.
    no that mouse was alive, the wetness is his saliva because it's his second time eating and it was rolling that thing around in the dirt because he was trying to get in his mouth. The dirt is not "wild" dirt, as well, it is stuff we bought that does not have any thing living in it or anything bad! It is made specifically for snakes and reptiles. I think it's actually healthy or something....

I understand your concern! I'm not mad, it's a good thing somebody cares about these snakes (oh yes, to get that dirt on the mouse it took a while and he was litterally ROLLING IT IN THE DIRT.)

BPs FOREVER
    1 Het. BP Male---Spud
    Mouse Colony

Thanks

congrats!!
    ~Just Call Me RJ~

1.0 Kahl Line Albino Boa: Creamsicle
    1.0 Sun Glow(Kahl): Logan
    1.0 Poss Super hypo Poss Het T+ CA Nicaraguan Boa: Brutis
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Jungle PC Aby: Po
    1.0 Pos Super Hypo Harlequin: Joker
    0.1 Hypo Reverse Stripe: Harley Quinn
    0.1 T+ Nicaraguan Boa: Dulce

Tru-Boaz.com

Thanks

Hes not saying that your dirt is well... dirty, its just not for ball pythons. It is nearly impossible to clean( how the heck do you clean dirt?!) but also is a breeding ground for all kinds of things, and when he poops it just keeps on adding to it. It is also hard to keep the humidity down if it dos up. I cant really tell by the photos, but is it eco earth?

There should not be ANY on your prey, and they would not put enough saliva on the mouse to make it stick that much. Switch to paper towels, and also up the size of prey you are giving him
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's great!!

Also, do NOT believe anything the pet store tells you. They have no clue what they are talking about, no matter which pet store you go to. I lost my first BP because I took too much of what they said to heart.

Thanks

Congratulations!! The fact that he's eating is always a good sign.

Just so everyone else is aware, the BP.net caresheet DOES list "coconut-husk based substrates" (e.g., Eco-Earth) as a safe substrate to use. However, I'd still probably switch it out - the stuff does tend to stick to prey items pretty easily, and it also makes noticing poops/urine/urates much more difficult.

You can use newspaper or paper towels, OR if you are looking for something nicer looking, go for aspen shavings (you can find this in the reptile section of most pet stores). It's attractive and safe, and it's very easy to tell when aspen is soiled or wet so you can change it faster.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icygirl View Post
    Congratulations!! The fact that he's eating is always a good sign.

Just so everyone else is aware, the BP.net caresheet DOES list "coconut-husk based substrates" (e.g., Eco-Earth) as a safe substrate to use. However, I'd still probably switch it out - the stuff does tend to stick to prey items pretty easily, and it also makes noticing poops/urine/urates much more difficult.

You can use newspaper or paper towels, OR if you are looking for something nicer looking, go for aspen shavings (you can find this in the reptile section of most pet stores). It's attractive and safe, and it's very easy to tell when aspen is soiled or wet so you can change it faster.
    Thanks guys! Wow! I will change it then. I recently looked under my hidebox (a log thing) and there was mold (NOT GOOD, getting a new hidebox), but not under the other wooden thing, but i think that IS aspen.

Thanks

You didnt use the brick eco earth that you have to wet first did you I hope not, I thought you were talking about the already expanded dry bags,
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    You didnt use the brick eco earth that you have to wet first did you I hope not, I thought you were talking about the already expanded dry bags,
    yah i used the eco-earth u wet first, is that bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast