Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,145

2 members and 3,143 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Odd male rat behavior

I have an established colony going that is producing fairly well. I have one male that I was raising as a backup for my breeder males. I had him in with another male and 3 females. He was going crazy had blood all over him, a large cut to his leg and was chasing the girls around and would copulate over and over until I took him out. the girls were all pregnant already and about to burst with pinks so I had to get him out. I put him in a cage by himself and he wont stop licking his private areas. It is like his sex drive is switched into hyper drive and wont shut off.

What should I do lol or is this normal mating behavior? The females don't seem to be receptive but its not stopping him.

Richard
    My Collection: 3.2 Mojave, 4.9.3 Normal, 1.0 Het Pied, 0.8 Pos. Het Pied

Thanks

Re: Odd male rat behavior

sounds like you got some females in heat somewhere? at 4weeks old they can go into heat
    you might try movin him, to another area upwind of the colony
    but it does sound unusual for them to be that aggressive even with females in heat around
    Ive Killed More Rats than D-Con!!

Thanks

Well he is a breeding machine for sure but I don't want all my rats torn to pieces in the process. I am going to keep him by himself for awhile and maybe he will cool down.

Maybe he needs some Ritalin?

Richard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Somed00d View Post
    I have an established colony going that is producing fairly well. I have one male that I was raising as a backup for my breeder males. I had him in with another male and 3 females. He was going crazy had blood all over him, a large cut to his leg and was chasing the girls around and would copulate over and over until I took him out. the girls were all pregnant already and about to burst with pinks so I had to get him out. I put him in a cage by himself and he wont stop licking his private areas. It is like his sex drive is switched into hyper drive and wont shut off.

What should I do lol or is this normal mating behavior? The females don't seem to be receptive but its not stopping him.

Richard
    I could be wrong but having 2 males in with a bunch of females isn't such a great idea. The males will fight over the females. Sounds to me like your guy was getting his butt kicked in between jumping the females. Like I said I could be wrong!
    Laurie

Thanks

The other male is very passive I think he was possibly defending himself from this rat. I usually keep a few males in my grow out bins when the moms are nursing the litters to give them a break and never had this problem. I am building another rack to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Richard