Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

5 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Central Exotics - LAUNCHED!

THE SITE IS LAUNCHED!
    http://www.centralexotics.com

So, I wanted to wait until I had EVERYTHING done before launching the site. I have since decided that the majority of the stuff that is left to do is repetitive data entry. I need to get the morph directory up to date (and that will take FOREVER!). Even after I finish that, it will be in a constant state of renewal. The other thing I really wanted to get finished up was the links directory, but I would like others input on that, so for them to see the site, and be able to know what I am looking for, I could maybe get some ideas.

For those of you that have not had the privilege of seeing the site when it was in BETA, Welcome! I am going to run down some of the things that make Central Exotics different, and some of the cool features you get to use when you signup!

All of the community links are located under "Central Exotics Community"

1) BLOGS - Under the Central Exotics Community link, there is a section for blogs. Everyone that signs up to be a registered user on the site can blog here. All new entries will show up on the main page, then rotate off with more entries being entered. The cool thing about that is that it can create a central place for updates. Each user can add others to the Friends blog list, and when you click on the link in the side bar it will only show blog entries from those users on your list.

It's where I am going to blog from here on out, and I hope some people will try it out as well!

2) Blog Roll - A few of the breeders and herp community people already keep their own blogs. The feeds with RSS feeds can be fed into the Blog Roll. You will see a list of their most recent entries, and when you click on them and lightbox will open to that entry. This is another feature that will help bring the community to a central place for updates. A "One Stop Shop" if you will with the going on of the herp community. I can and will be adding more blog flows to this section, and I can't wait to see it grow!

3) Photos - All users have the ability to upload pictures to the site. There is a lot of interaction with that such as Voting and commenting right there in the gallery. This will come in handy if we ever want to run some contests. All photos thought are random selected and put in a rotator on the front page. It gives visitors a quick glimpse at some of the skill and personality of the community at large.

4) Videos - See a video that you liked on YouTube or video sites? You can share that with everyone visiting this site under the Videos link. Click the add videos button, input the information it asks for, and publish it. This will hopefully create a way for the community at large to make it a place of helpful information and entertaining content about herping ( and other random stuff! ).

5) Classifieds - We are offering another place for those wanting to sell their animals or supplies to post here. All posts will remain published for 30 days. They can all feature details and photos. Post your items there and get them some traffic!

We also have the old standbys; Forums, news updates, chat, etc.

Please, comment below and tell me what you think of the site and give me tips on how I can improve it. I want this to be a community engagement, and as such your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Central Exotics - LAUNCHED!

I like it!! You sure did get up and going fast!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
    I like it!! You sure did get up and going fast!!
    I was surprised myself! I still have a ton to do, but I hate having the site locked .. I want to share it with people!

here is the intro to my series of YouTube videos I will be doing!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ6gtzXvCCI

Thanks

The only thing is your morph dictionary... your pretty much just copying/rewording what nerd put. I know you have permission but really whats the point of doing it if its already been made, and made good. Id just save your time and put a link to their picture ball morph page unless you have your own pictures and paragraph. I just cant see the point of you doing that without your own photos and stuff. Kinda corny if you ask me. Im not trying to be mean or anything, so I hope this helps some.

- Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    The only thing is your morph dictionary... your pretty much just copying/rewording what nerd put. I know you have permission but really whats the point of doing it if its already been made, and made good. Id just save your time and put a link to their picture ball morph page unless you have your own pictures and paragraph. I just cant see the point of you doing that without your own photos and stuff. Kinda corny if you ask me. Im not trying to be mean or anything, so I hope this helps some.

Great point, and I agree. What you see there is actually only the start of what I want to do with it. I assure you that it will not just be copy and paste .. I promise!

I was using their content, with permission, to begin that project. There are many morphs that NERD doesn't have listed, and some being created right now. I was using their content as a base for the truly epic adventure ahead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    Great point, and I agree. What you see there is actually only the start of what I want to do with it. I assure you that it will not just be copy and paste .. I promise!

I was using their content, with permission, to begin that project. There are many morphs that NERD doesn't have listed, and some being created right now. I was using their content as a base for the truly epic adventure ahead.
    Yeah, it would be nice to see alot of the morphs not on Nerd.
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Yeah, it would be nice to see alot of the morphs not on Nerd.
    For sure! I am working hard on making that happen, but it take cooperation from many of the top breeders (as, if we are going to have a complete list is will require the guys that actually have some of the rarest ones to help) and getting that coing is what I am working on now.

NERD was on board right away, and I think that is awesome

Also, I just added a little "Content provided by:" area under the text so there is no confusion on who is responsible for the content of the page.

Thanks

Well, as I stated, I want the Morph Directory to be the most complete collection it can possibly be, and today that goal was given yet another hand-up by one of the most prominent breeders of Ball Pythons around. Ralph Davis of Ralph Davis Reptiles has given Central Exotics permission to post some of his information and images into the directory. This of course will mean that I have a lot of work to do (he has a TON of stuff to post), but it will get us one step closer to the goal.

Thank you Ralph for giving us the opportunity to make this project a reality. Users, be on the look out for updates this weekend. The morph directory will start to take shape!

Thanks

Yet another vote of confidence! Brian at BHB has been awesome working with me on my ideas, and he has done so much for the online community as a whole. He is also the latest breeder to offer me a helping hand with my morph directory project. He will be supplying pictures for me on ones that I need and just generaly being an awesome guy!

I want to thank Brian for being there for me, and to the other two big names that decided to help me out aswell. With your insight, experience, and collection of photos I know that I will achieve my goal of making the morph directory something that all enthusiasts will find useful in their hunt for information! You guys need to go check these guys out and support them all. They are all great assests to herpers everywhere!

Thanks

So .. .. I have been working with a few new ideas, to keep the good and lose the bad ..

http://www.centralexotics.com

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast