Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,372

5 members and 3,367 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Berk X Albino litter

I bred an Albino female (Kasper) to a Bershire Dumbo (Roo) and the babies all came out Berkshire. I'm guessing since Roo had the dominant genetics over Kasper, all the babies would come out Berk, right?

Anyway, I noticed that a few of the offspring have high white sides. I have never noticed this on a berk before, but some of these, the white underbelly comes up on their sides. Is this a normal marking for a berk? I can provide pictures if needed.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Berk X Albino litter

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I bred an Albino female (Kasper) to a Bershire Dumbo (Roo) and the babies all came out Berkshire. I'm guessing since Roo had the dominant genetics over Kasper, all the babies would come out Berk, right?

Anyway, I noticed that a few of the offspring have high white sides. I have never noticed this on a berk before, but some of these, the white underbelly comes up on their sides. Is this a normal marking for a berk? I can provide pictures if needed.
    Your albino must be either a hooded or berkshire. Not uncommon. I have a himalayan girl that consistently throws berkshires, and I am nearly 100% positive she is also a berkshire.

Yup, berkshires can be from a little belly line all the way to their sides. However, once it starts to remain solely on the back, its considered husky and a high white trait.

Thanks

When bred to a hooded, she produced hooded offspring. So that would make her a hood then?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    When bred to a hooded, she produced hooded offspring. So that would make her a hood then?
    Hooded and berks are on the same locus. There are individual modifier genes that control what pattern you get.

http://www.curiosityrats.com/
    The H-locus

The original pet/fancy rat lines' markings are caused by mutations on what we call the "hooded" locus. The best known of all these mutations is "hooded" and it was the first mutant allele known. Hoodeds are considered the "safest" of all markings, as the mutation is not associated with any health problems, and the hooded phenotype is easy to distinguish from other markings (including similar ones like banded). These gene definitions come from a few resources including the now non-existant Rodentfancy.com (I am not listing any genotypes here because none of the references I found echoed what I've seen in breeding.)

H: Self gene; Involved in self, Berkshires, Irish, and possibly variegated
    h: Hooded gene; Homozygous is hooded, also in Berkshires, Irish, and possibly in barebacks and capped
    He: Extreme hood gene; In Berkshires, also capped, patched, BEW, and capped
    Hre: Restricted hood gene; Homozygous lethal, fades colors and causes odd-eyes, sometimes sterility in males
    Hro: Roberts gene; Homozygous lethal, fades colors and causes odd-eyes
    hn: Notched gene; Similar to He but always a notch at the back of a capped marking
    hi: Irish gene; Mock selfs, Irish, and "Berkshire," also in variegated, and sometimes hooded
    hdu: Downunder gene; Homozygous lethal, causes colored parts to be on the underside (sometimes called "double hooded")