Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

1 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: breeding rats

Thanks

breeding rats

i'm going to start a breeding my own rats here in the next few days and just wanted to check whether there are any common sense issues i'm missing. i have enclosures set up, food, water, ect..

after the rat pups are born, is there any special care i need to do that the parent female can't/won't do?

Thanks

Re: breeding rats

Have you tried posting in and/or checking out the feeder section of the forums? There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to breeding rats and it's filled with useful info.

Thanks

well, that certainly answers a few questions. and to think after all this time i didn't even realize this sub-forum existed

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Lol, don't worry. I'm still finding things myself!

I don't think you are missing anything. Although I do like to separate my mothers to be. Especially first time mothers. I lost my first litter to a first time mom, sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.

I'm not sure what all you're planning but I leave my male and female together for at least a week, longer if I don't have another companion for them to be with. A week insures that they have been bred, pretty much no matter what. I keep track of my breeding dates and the projected due date. Once that due date rolls around, about a week before, I put the momma's by themselves. You'll easily detect if they are prego or not the week before, and especially three days before, they get HUGE!

I can't sleep and I noticed no one had posted

Good luck!

Thanks

Most female rats are excellent, instinctive parents. Just provide her with lots of food, access to a full water bottle, clean her enclosure as required and she'll pretty much do the rest. Do watch your fingers. Some female rats can get very nippy when they are on a litter and a rat bite is no fun at all.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Most female rats are excellent, instinctive parents. Just provide her with lots of food, access to a full water bottle, clean her enclosure as required and she'll pretty much do the rest. Do watch your fingers. Some female rats can get very nippy when they are on a litter and a rat bite is no fun at all.
    Yes Getting bit by mama rat sucks, you will learn real fast on how not to get bit.