Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

3 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Does he do it on purpose?

We've had our dachshund for about 2 months now and he's still not housebroken. We keep him in the kitchen since the rest of the house is carpet and we put down puppy pads for him. We take him outside to go out and he just chews on sticks and runs around. He's only peed twice outside for me. Both times I praise him and tell him what a good puppy he is. Other than that, he just goes inside, sometimes on the pad, sometimes not. And about 90% of the time, he shreds his pad to pieces and then drags it into his kennel.

We would like to put him on a schedule, but for a 5 month old puppy, how long does it take after drinking for him to have to pee? How often should he be going outside? His normal amount of time outside each time is about 15 min, but I've taken him out for as long as 45 min with no piddle, only to take him inside and he pees in the kitchen. Any advice?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Does he do it on purpose?

Well I have a puppy too only that he is a different breed but.... i use this websites schedule and it seems to work like a charm. just adjust the times to your schedule.

Thanks

You need to be sure to remove the scent entirely where he has peed on the floor by using bleach or ammonia. Otherwise, he will continue to pee where he had peed before. When I have a new puppy (8 weeks old or so) I leave them in a cardboard box with sleeping material in 1/2 and newspaper in the other 1/2 when unsupervised. The dog won't pee in it's bed and will pee on the paper. Then I take the newspaper outside. Next I remove the dog from the box when it first wakes up from a nap and take it immediately outside near the newspaper. The dog will smell the paper and pee outside. When the dog is inside you must watch vigilantly and grab the dog and rush it outside whenever it begins to squat before it pees on the floor. I have owned several dogs for their whole life span and have never taken longer than a week or so to housebreak a puppy. If you have let it get this old you have your work cut out for you. The main thing is to first remove all the scent of urine from your house or you are sunk. Then start from scratch using that method.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sounds like the puppy has way too much freedom having the entire kitchen. Instead of giving him the kitchen, how about crate training him? He'd need a crate that isn't so large that he can pee on one end and sleep on the other. They don't like to soil their "dens".

I'd have him on a schedule of taking him out every 2 hours during the day. And crated at night, and have the crate in the bedroom, so that you can hear him when he whimpers that he needs to go out, so that you can get up and take him out immediately. He needs to learn to be able to trust that you'll take him out when he needs to go.

When he's out of the crate, he must be on a leash at all times, attached to you. He has no opportunity to fail this way. You will see him start to circle to go potty and can take him outside immediately.

I baby sat a 10 week old schnauzer puppy for a week for a friend, and we didn't have a single accident in the house by following this method.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsirkle View Post
    ... When the dog is inside you must watch vigilantly and grab the dog and rush it outside whenever it begins to squat before it pees on the floor. I have owned several dogs for their whole life span and have never taken longer than a week or so to housebreak a puppy.
    Same here Dale! Attention is so important when it comes to potty training. Scoop up the pup and run outside telling the pup that he pees outside...outside...outside.

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    Sounds like the puppy has way too much freedom having the entire kitchen....I'd have him on a schedule of taking him out every 2 hours during the day.... When he's out of the crate, he must be on a leash at all times, attached to you. He has no opportunity to fail this way. You will see him start to circle to go potty and can take him outside immediately.
    With my dogs, I take them outside every two hours around the clock and also about 15 minutes after they eat or drink. Potty training is accomplished in a very short time with this method even though it seems forever for me since getting up every 2 hours and going outside is a drag!! Oh well......

I also always keep pups, for about their first 6-8 months, on a leash attached to me. This is their first true training and teaches them to pay attention to me, look to me for where we are going, stay by me, lay down by me, be calm at the human mealtime (by lying down), not jump on people, sit and stay when I open the front door, etc etc etc. Also, when I go somewhere in the car, the dog (attached to me) goes also. When it is unreasonable to have the pup come with me, the pup is then leashed to one of my kids. Leashing your pup to you is a really great way to bond with your dog and your dog to bond with you. Leashing yourself to your dog is also a great way to keep your pup out of trouble and learn his signals.

Your pup is simply attempting to train you because it is not clear to him where he ought to 'go'. That's all. Nothing wrong with your dog, and if you start to impliment, consistently, some of the suggestions mentioned by myself and other posters, good results will follow.

Also, I would make sure that you have had a vet check up to make sure that there is nothing going on that disallows him to control his ability to pee.......

It will all work out with proper guidance for your pup!! Don't give up!!!

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

He has had a vet check up and I'm pretty sure he can control his pee. He waits until we are INSIDE to pee. I like the leashing idea. What happens if in the case I have to work and no one will be home to leash him to? Sometimes my fiance and I have the same work hours during the day and the roommates are almost never home due to both of them working two jobs.
    Under Construction.....

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I housebroke my current dog in 2 weeks (she was 2 months old than), during the day she was in her crate and was taken out every two hours, at night she would be in her crate also, spending 8 hours without the ability to go out.

You also need to be consistent and use positive re-enforcement.

Good luck!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I've been reading up on dogs for a little while now, because I would love to have one. I've picked up a few books at Barnes & Noble with great details on how to potty train puppies and teach them various tricks. The guides are pretty well illustrated and pretty thorough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post

You also need to be consistent and use positive re-enforcement.
    Almost every book i've read or resource I've watched (Cesar Milan ) swears by positive re-enforcement. No yelling, no swatting, no bad vibes...you will get things accomplished much faster....

Thanks

I don't believe in yelling at a dog or punishment like that. Trust me. I actually work at Barnes and Noble and I'm on the search for housetraining books. He has a small crate. Its big enough for him to turn around in and lay comfortably. It has two doors, one on the front and one on the side. Very nifty and has a slide out bottom for easy cleaning.

He has no problem being in the crate. Actually he's never whined while in it. He knows its his bed and has only soiled it once, but never since then.
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast