Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

1 members and 3,092 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Minimum Number Of Posts Before Letting Someone Post In For Sale Section

Admin...

Please before giving a quick response to this, talk to each other and consider it.

This site should put a rule in the for sale section that says you must post at least #### times before you are allowed to post something in the for sale section.

The thread in the breeder feedback section right now speaks volumes on why this wonderful site needs to initiate this rule.

Think about it. it would encourage participation in the newbee sections.... It would allow us to get to know someone before they put something up for sale.

Most importantly it would stop someone from being able to spend 5 minutes making a profile, and posting a complete scam in the for sale section that some poor person falls for.

PLEASE consider this.

What should the minum number of posts be? 500 would be a nice start. 1000 would be even better. 2000 fantastic. That is for Yall to decide.

Please consider this. To the fellow forum members... If you think this is a good idea, now is the time to speak up.

Sincerly
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: Minimum Number Of Posts Before Letting Someone Post In For Sale Section

I am going to say that I agree with this. But I think that 500 is a bit harsh still.

There are people on this forum that only come and post occasionally that we know very well that only have 100 posts.
    But I still think that it should be at least 100 posts + before anyone can post in the for sale section.

As a person who falls for scams very easily, this would be very reassuring to me.

Thanks

as a newbie, im torn...im a shy person by nature, but...if i were to want to sell something then i think it would be a good idea, as mike said, it would give members a chance to get to "know" the people they are dealing with. but it brings up how well do you ever "know" anyone online? granted poss. feedback, maybe meeting peeps at shows, but in the long run, this guy had what, 10 diff. identies, 4 diff. myspace pages, and God only knows how many diff e-mails. i think its a great idea in theory, but would it stop or even slow down the true scam artists? just my thoughts.

Thanks

I think this is a good idea, but 500, 1000, or especially 2000 posts is a little harsh. I've been a member on here almost two years now, and this is only my 375th post... I think 100 posts would be fine for people. Maybe if you had to be a member for like 3 months, or have 100 posts. Whichever comes first?
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mykaija View Post
    as a newbie, im torn...im a shy person by nature, but...if i were to want to sell something then i think it would be a good idea, as mike said, it would give members a chance to get to "know" the people they are dealing with. but it brings up how well do you ever "know" anyone online? granted poss. feedback, maybe meeting peeps at shows, but in the long run, this guy had what, 10 diff. identies, 4 diff. myspace pages, and God only knows how many diff e-mails. i think its a great idea in theory, but would it stop or even slow down the true scam artists? just my thoughts.
    Slow down would be FAR better then nothing. This guy in question had like 3 or 4 different registered usernames that he could have sold with! That wouldn't be the case if he had to make 500 or 1,000 legitimate posts before being able to sell! He simply would have moved onto a much simpler forum to try to sell his scam on.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I like this idea. Over the last couple of weeks I have seen a couple of people posting in the classified area as their first post. Those people are just scum looking for a quick sale or scammers.

If I remember correctly, the idea of letting new members post in the For Sale area was because we wanted it to be open to new people looking to rehome their snakes.

If a minimum number of posts is required to post in the for sale area, I would suggest creating a seperate "Adoption" area to cover that circumstance.
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

While I understand your point and concerns

What if the person does not wish to participate but wish to re-home an animal ASAP because they can no longer keep him?

Also with your 500 posts limit this would mean reputable breeders/people (Albey (129 posts) , Ben Renick ( 439 posts), EBN (47 posts) , BHB (137 posts) ) from whom I would buy without hesitation would no longer be able to post an ad in our ad section since obviously they do not meet YOUR requirements and since when you make rules everyone has to abide by them no exception

If someone wants to scams others they will whether they have 5 posts on a forum or several hundreds, know who you are buying from, ask for references, ask people you trust in this industry about the person you are planning to buy from. RESEARCH reserach research!
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

There is a problem with this. Why should it be ok for a guy out of work who can spend all day on the computer to sell because he's always on here but those of us like myself who work 10-12 hours a day with 2 kids and a hundred plus animals and only post every once in a while could not? This would not really be a fair way to screen people would it.
    Rick

I'm 42 feel like I'm 70 and act like I'm 12
    Ball Projects, and too many other animals to list, 2.0 human children 0.1 supreme ruler aka wife

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the idea of letting new members post in the For Sale area was because we wanted it to be open to new people looking to rehome their snakes.

If a minimum number of posts is required to post in the for sale area, I would suggest creating a seperate "Adoption" area to cover that circumstance.

EXCELLENT idea. To add to it, if you post in the for adoption section, and it is found out that your are actually selling something, and not giving it up for free, you are SEVERLY penalized. Either by being banned from the site or getting lots of "bad boy points"
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I do like Daniel's idea of seperating For Sale from Adoptions though. Definitely something I'd support and it would actually give our adoptions/rehomes a better chance at not getting lost in the for sale ads. Thanks Daniel! Something I'll definitely be promoting to staff as we discuss these ideas coming forth in this thread.

Mike, thanks for making this thread. I can't guarantee yours or anyone's ideas will happen just as expressed here, but the staff here are always open to new ideas and the suggestions of our membership.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast