Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,568

1 members and 1,567 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: mycoplasma

Thanks

Arrow mycoplasma

Has anyone dealt with this. My vet says one of my rats has Mycoplasmosis and that my other 3 rats are now carriers of the disease. They were all housed together. From what I understand my rat will need continual treatment. This is his second RI in 2 months. He's on Baytril twice daily, and is given yogurt to replace the bacteria in his gut...

So yeah...
    Layna

Thanks

Re: mycoplasma

It's safe to assume ALL rats have myco, except those in highly controlled labs.

Your rat has an URI, and will need to stay on meds to help get the infection back under control.

Myco is usually kept in check by a rats immune system. When that immune system is compromised by another illness, myco will flare up as well.

If your rat gets over this sickness, I wouldnt continue to treat for myco. Good chances are it will never be completely cured.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    It's safe to assume ALL rats have myco, except those in highly controlled labs.

Your rat has an URI, and will need to stay on meds to help get the infection back under control.

Myco is usually kept in check by a rats immune system. When that immune system is compromised by another illness, myco will flare up as well.

If your rat gets over this sickness, I wouldnt continue to treat for myco. Good chances are it will never be completely cured.
    Connie:

Yeah I was reading thru some of the pages on it online and that it is a common bacteria in rats, but, as you said, flares up when the immune system is compromised. I've found a few tips for helping with the symptoms, like not overcrowding the cage (I have 4 in a My First Home thing), but they get 24 access to our bed and the headboard. They like to hide in the blankets and keep our feet warm! I also read I can get a humidifier and run that to clear the lungs, bronchial tubes, something like that. They said a steamy bathroom for 10 to 15 minutes will ease breathing. I am going to try that tonight. So yeah, I am just concerned that they are all going to get it...
    Layna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilian View Post
    Connie:

Yeah I was reading thru some of the pages on it online and that it is a common bacteria in rats, but, as you said, flares up when the immune system is compromised. I've found a few tips for helping with the symptoms, like not overcrowding the cage (I have 4 in a My First Home thing), but they get 24 access to our bed and the headboard. They like to hide in the blankets and keep our feet warm! I also read I can get a humidifier and run that to clear the lungs, bronchial tubes, something like that. They said a steamy bathroom for 10 to 15 minutes will ease breathing. I am going to try that tonight. So yeah, I am just concerned that they are all going to get it...
    Your concerned that they will all get sick, or that they will all get sick from myco? Like I said, unless there is a secondary infection being spread around, you really shouldn't have too much to worry about.

I have treated my share of rats, and its usually just one that gets under the weather at a time. They can get sick just like you and me, they get sniffles, and sometimes they really get sick and need treatment.

Just do what your doing, reevaluate your arrangements, make sure everything is top notch.

As animals age, their immune systems weaken, and myco has a better chance to flare up. Some rats just get sick more often and are more susceptible to illness like us.

I have maybe 3 rats in my colony of 40+ that just weren't the strongest and the healthiest things, they get under the weather every few months. I treat them with some extra care, and they bounce right back. As they have gotten older, I am seeing them having a harder time dealing with it, (it takes a little longer to get over), but they do get over it.

Thanks

All rats are carriers for myco I think unless they are born in a myco-free environment in a lab, unfortunately (which is usually via c-section, according to what I've read).
    Have you gotten a decongestant/expectorant from your vet? In my experience, a decongestant/expectorant with antibiotics is key and it saved my rescue rat's lives (they are still alive).
    There's no good in medicating a rat without it since the fluid and mucus will not be removed by the antibiotic, nor will it help the rat remove it if it's really bad. Fluid and congestion will only breed bacteria, and like others here have said already, dirty bedding will irritate the airways, causing more mucus and fluid to build up.

Thanks

Some people use (or at least used to) Echinacea (sp?) oil. They put it in the water bottle or feed some directly. This is supposed to help with respiratory health. I'm not sure if it is still common or not though. Maybe worth looking into?

Thanks

I've been using Doxycycline (powder) since 2002 on my rats who have Myco/RI problems. You can order a jar of it from most Piegon breeders or Piegon catalogs. You just add 2 TSPNS to a gallon of water. I've ordered mine from JEDDS Piegon and Bird Supply:
    http://www.jedds.com/Products.asp?Ma...CategoryID=193

and I've used Dierenarts Rob Hoekstra:
    http://www.pww.nl/rob.hoekstra/
    Rob H is located in The Netherlands but he is TOP NOTCH in book.

The powder last forever!
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

I hope you're not using it constantly.. The bacteria will build up a resistance and then the meds won't work anymore.

They may have allergies too. Some of mine get the sniffles here and there when the weather changes, so they get a bit of children's benadyrl or chlorpheniramine hcl drops. Antihistamines and decongestants work well to get the junk out of their noses and lungs.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Oh no, I dont use it all of the time... only when my rats get the sniffles/sneezes and or start showing porphyrins around their noses.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"