Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

1 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

General Questions about F/T

I've had it up to here with buying live feeders from my local reptile shop. He had me psyched on him for awhile because of the deals he gives me, but the honeymoon phase is over as I notice more and more of his practices being ones I wouldn't dare do myself. So now it's time to start saving some money, stop risking my snakes health and move on over to F/T! I know this has been covered a million times a million different ways but it's Friday night, I've had a long week and I really can't see myself sifting through ten or fifteen threads to find what I'm after. Help a brother out!

Obstacles: I live in a house with five room mates. They're pretty chill guys, but when asked if they'd be cool with me thawing rats on the kitchen counter or even in the bathroom once a week, they were less than excited about the idea. I can't blame them, really. They also were not that excited about me keeping frozen rats in the freezer. That's okay, I can get a mini-fridge.

Questions:
    1) How bad is this going to smell? I've read the healthier the specimen the less stench created. If I buy top quality rodents, will I be able to thaw them in my room all day then bring my girlfriend over without her being able to tell, or is it going to smell like a corpse?

2) If it will smell terrible, are there any inexpensive ways around this? Thawing in a Zip-Loc bag, etc.

3) Where do you get your F/T?

4) How is this usually shipped? I'm generally not home during the day. If they're just dropped off are they all going to thaw out on my porch or do I have to be home to sign for them, how's this usually work?

It's funny that the majority of my F/T concerns revolve around me being worried about just getting them and thawing them more so than I am about her taking them. I already know that's going to be a whole other battle once this half is over.

Thanks

Re: General Questions about F/T

my answers and this doesnt mean that they are 100% correct its just how i do things. Im guessing you have a small collection.
    question 1

I have never noticed any smell from my rats. I defrost them in warm water in a bag in an old pot. This can take some time depending on water temp and size of pray. Don't make the water to hot you don't wanna start cooking them. When their defrosted I use a hair dryer to heat them up, paying most of the attention to the head ( thats where there gonna strike).
    Defrosting them in you room is a good idea. It sents the room and can make them more likly to eat.

question 2

Again never had a smell. always defrost in a bag. 9 outa 10 times the snake isn't gona eat a wet rat.

question 3

most pet shops should have them. If your looking to buy in bulk online try Rodent Pro.com

question 4

I have never order rats online because I have a reptile store 5 min from my house. From what I have read on feeder sites they are shiped over nite (expensive) with ice packs/dry ice.

Before you go and put in an order some where get some frozen and see if your snake(s) will eat them. Getting them to switch can be very hard. I got 2 that just wont touch f/t or p/k but will hammer live. some switch with no poblem so if they don't take one right away keep trying.

I hope I helped you out a little
    MIKE

This space for rent

Thanks

The rats I get don't smell too strong. They definitely smell like rats though!! I thaw them out on a heat pad in front of the rack which still takes several hours. I never noticed a rat smell in the room, but the snakes sure do...

It won't smell like a rotten animal. If it does, then chunk the rat and find a new supplier!
    Too many snakes to be declared "sane" as far as my friends are concerned....

Thanks

I wouldn't suggest leaving them out all day. I usually leave mine in the fridge all day while I'm at work and then blast em with the blow dryer before feeding. I've never smelled anything...
    *I love this crazy, tragic, almost magic, awful, beautiful life*
    ~melanie~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Constrictor View Post

I have never order rats online because I have a reptile store 5 min from my house.
    I can get frozen at Petco down the road, but ordered from rodent pro cause it's much cheaper and actually a better product. If you make the order big enough to fill up the box they use, you're shipping per rat goes down and you save money.

You can even buy a cheap, small chest freezer and still end up paying less in the end. Retail is terrible!
    Too many snakes to be declared "sane" as far as my friends are concerned....

Thanks

I agree, there should be no or very little smell with FT. I thaw mine next to my snake tank- a plastic dish (I usually use a margarine container or sour cream container) some warm water (not hot because you don't want to cook the FT) and I stick a heavy spoon over the frozen prey (which are DRY inside a zip-lock bag) and leave it in there for about an hour. Then I stick it under the lamp for a few minutes and dinners ready
    1.0 Normal Ball Python- Little Dude
    0.0.1 Albino Kingsnake - Weiner
    Missi

Thanks

I just ordered my first f/t

1. They don't smell that bad at all
    2. I put them in individual ziplocks. This helps with smell, and keeps the rat dry. While in the ziplock I put them in a cup of hot water from the sink for 10mins. I pour that water out and add new hot water in again and let it sit for 5 mins. By that time the rat is thawed. I take the ziplock out and it's ready to eat.
    3. I got mine from bigcheeserodents and they were great. No urine or death smell. Great looking rats too!
    4. They ship with insulation type padding and dry ice. Mine sat on the door step all day in Texas heat (upper 90s) and they were still frozen to the bone!!
    1.0 Spider

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kid_mustango02 View Post
    I can get frozen at Petco down the road, but ordered from rodent pro cause it's much cheaper and actually a better product. If you make the order big enough to fill up the box they use, you're shipping per rat goes down and you save money.

You can even buy a cheap, small chest freezer and still end up paying less in the end. Retail is terrible!
    I was Trying NOT to mention PetCo, PetSmart, Petland. They have NO business selling anything for reptiles. It gives the impression that they know what they are doing when it comes to reptiles.
    MIKE

This space for rent

Thanks

If there is EVER a smell, other than a certain 'ratiness', with FT you should chuck it and get new. When frozen they should smell cold and when thawed they should smell like a clean rat.

As for thawing, I do mine in a tupperware container in hot water shortly before feeding...usually while pre-scenting those who don't take FT. For mice and rat pups it takes about 5-10 minutes, and for medium adult rats it takes about 30 minutes for a good complete thaw. RIGHT before offering I blast em with the hair dryer so they're good and warm.

Right now I get my FT from Colorado Rocky Mountain Rodents. They're nearby, the owner is a sweet woman, the prices are the most reasonable I saw (and I go nutes comparison shopping), and the packaging is great.

Most frozen rodent orders are shipped priority or even overnight in an insulated box with dry ice. I have an arrangement with my supplier and the ladies in the apartment office that the UPS man should leave the box at the office. They keep it in a cool room until I get home.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Thanks, sounds like that part will be much easier than I thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast