Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,787

0 members and 2,787 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apen idea

Thanks

Lightbulb Apen idea

Hey guys i'm sure you seen my glass set up by now and my false bottom setup which combined with cocoafiber does an excelent job of combating the humidity problem with most glass set ups. However, after posting on another thread I worried that having damp soil may encourage scale rot. But, I have had a eureka moment just now, what if I only put aspen in the hides?
    I imagine this gives the snake a dry place to lay 90% of the time without sacrificing the humidity and getting myself into a mega battle with that. Any input or questions are what im looking for, also how much is aspen anyway in Canada?

Thanks

Re: Apen idea

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
    Hey guys i'm sure you seen my glass set up by now and my false bottom setup which combined with cocoafiber does an excelent job of combating the humidity problem with most glass set ups. However, after posting on another thread I worried that having damp soil may encourage scale rot. But, I have had a eureka moment just now, what if I only put aspen in the hides?
    I imagine this gives the snake a dry place to lay 90% of the time without sacrificing the humidity and getting myself into a mega battle with that. Any input or questions are what im looking for, also how much is aspen anyway in Canada?
    Try looking at your local petshop in the small mammals section, you should be able to find a small bag there which would be all you need.

That sounds like a generally good idea. However, are you sure the humidity is not TOO high? Too high humidity's (above 75-80%) can cause respiratory infections.

Thanks

I keep the humidity in check, albeit not that well (meaning i'm currenly using exo terra dials for humidity and temps). i plan on doing tech upgrades like thermometer and hygrometers when i get a larger tank when the lil fella gets bigger. because it takes a fair bit of soil moisture to maintain air humidity when it can just seep out the tanks top (to the touch the soild feels damp but not swampy) and humidity is at 60.
    Last edited by TimmyG; 09-08-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: clairity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyG View Post
    I keep the humidity in check, albeit not that well (meaning i'm currenly using exo terra dials for humidity and temps). i plan on doing tech upgrades like thermometer and hygrometers when i get a larger tank when the lil fella gets bigger. because it takes a fair bit of soil moisture to maintain air humidity when it can just seep out the tanks top (to the touch the soild feels damp but not swampy) and humidity is at 60.
    Then I don't see why not. :]

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Actually I would suggest getting the digital thermo/humidity now so you actually get a better idea of what the readings in your tank are.

I know we harp on about it a lot but those dials are junk and are usually measuring half way up a tank wall in any case.

Go on, it's only $12 and will make your life so much easier.

I will try and find the threads on your tank set up in a moment but normally just covering the top of the tank with silver foil can get the humidity right in a glass tank with no damp substrate at all.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

O.k,

Found the pics of your tank.

The CHE does explain why humidity might be such an issue.

Might be worth trying to price some flexwatt - it's fairly inexpensive and even in a cold home one piece on either end should be sufficient.

Your current setup looks nice but I can't help but worry about cleaning and bacterial build up over time.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

If your snake urinates, which is relatively often with a healthy, hydrated animal, and in copious amounts, you're not seeing it. Therefore, it's not being cleaned out and your snake is laying in it's urine and breathing in the ammonia produced.

I would get rid of the false bottom, as nice as it looks to you I'm sure, and use a thin layer of either aspen, coconut fiber or newspaper so you can easily clean the entire enclosure when your snake defecates/urinates.

Use false bottoms for animals such as Dart Frogs. They benefit from it. Ball Pythons are MESSY and their enclosures need to be cleaned thoroughly when they do make a mess.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    If your snake urinates, which is relatively often with a healthy, hydrated animal, and in copious amounts, you're not seeing it. Therefore, it's not being cleaned out and your snake is laying in it's urine and breathing in the ammonia produced.
    I never thought about it like that, when money comes in I'll make a few modifications until then i'll be very careful about looking for urates to locate areas he may have urinated. Wouldn't the ammonia leave through the top of the tank, much in the same way the hydrated air does? Also, could someone show me a humid hide? I imagine with those in even a glass tank wouldnt really need things like false bottoms or foil on the top to lock in hummidity.

Thanks

Try newspaper once. Just once. Then you'll see how much they REALLY pee Makes you want to strip the cage everytime.

And ammonia is heavier than the air around it, so the snake will be breathing it in while you don't smell anything. Stick your head in the tank and you'll smell it.

People with tanks usually use a thin layer of bedding(so the undertank heater can easily get the enclosure up to temp), cover the screen lid with foil and foil tape or a sheet of plexiglas cut to fit the inside screen area. Glad Press N Seal works well too, as does a black trash bag cut to fit and taped in place with black duct tape/foil tape.

A humid hide can be made out of a lidded container with a hole cut out of the side. Add either long-fibered sphagnum moss(obtained at Home Depot or Lowe's, brand name is Mosser Lee), or paper towels. Clean every few days if using paper towels as they will dry out and mold).

Try to not use a lamp if you can help it. It will dry out the air and won't help your quest for a good humidity level(50-60%).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Canada is loaded with Aspen. Should be cheap. That's just what people often call poplar or popple in the Great White North.
    Do not resuscitate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast