Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,092

0 members and 3,092 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

20 Tub Cornsnake Hatchling Rack

Hi all, ArticBlue (my and my wife's roommate) and I picked up 20 corn snakes between the daytona and Raleigh reptiles shows. We figured with this many we needed a rack so we set out to build one and I took pictures along the way. Here's pictures and explanations of everything, hope this helps some others out there.

Supplies:
    4 boards that are 30 inches tall by 3.5 inches wide.
    6 boards that are 36 inches tall by 14 inches wide.
    The backboard is 30 inches tall by 36 inches wide. (i forgot what the backboard was called but it's near the pegboard and it's like 3/16ths thick if I'm not mistaken)
    Screws
    Hammer
    Staplegun
    Stapels

Here's a picture of all of the supplies but the staple gun and staples.

We drilled the 4 side pieces onto the bottom plank and stood it upright.

Place the tubs you're going to use, in our case 6 quart sterilite tubs, on the bottom plank like so.

Place the next board on top of the tubs and then drill in through the side planks.

Repeat the last two steps. Soon you'll be halfway done!

Continue until you place the last plank on the top, then move around to the back and use the staple gun to staple the thin backboard onto the rack.

Here's the rack all set up with tubs and snakes inside.

We don't have the flexwatt or thermostat yet but they're on the way. Also if you notice the backboard is just a tad bit shorter than the actual rack, that was because I didn't care to cut wholes for the cords from the flexwat, you can add the extra inch or two and cut holes for the wires if you like, I just didn't care to do so. We are going to take the tubs out soon and stain/finish it, as well as sand down the corners but I figured I'd go ahead and post. It cost us about 50 bucks all together to build this (take into account we already had the hammer, staples, and staple gun)

Hope this helps someone else!
    ~Dexter Mason~
    Wife 0.1 Children 0.1.1 Dogs 1.1 Ball Pythons: 5.22
    Bearded Dragon 1.0 Ornate Horned Toad 0.0.1 Leos 1.3 Russian Tortoise 0.1

Melodrama coming from you is about as normal as a bowel movement - Clerks
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks
    Dante Hicks: But you hate people.
    Randal Graves: Yes, but I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?

Thanks

Re: 20 Tub Cornsnake Hatchling Rack

Very nice! Looks a lot like the 16 tub corn rack I just made up. Actually I might have to switch it from back heat to belly heat to get things a little more consistant. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that and still be able to make sure nothing can get out??

But good job with that! I'm gonna be building a 16qt rack soon so I'll try and get some pics up when I do
    ~Adam~

BPs: 3.9 Normals, 1.0 Spider, 1.1 Pastels, 0.1 100% Het Hypo, 1.0 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 Albino 1.0 Bumblebee .
    Bloods: 0.1 Marter line red, 1.0 Het T+ albino red.
    Colubrids:1.1 Western Hogs, 0.0.1 Tri-Color Hognose, 1.0 Albino Cal King,

Thanks

thats awesome!!! Im LOVING these DIY tutorials!!!

Certainly something were looking to build very soon for baby BP's and leos!!

Thanks

when you say "boards" what kind of wood are you using? Did you nail the planks in or did you use the staples?

Thanks

The big shelf type boards are poplar I believe and the side pieces are pine. We used screws to screw them in, guess i forgot to put that you needed an electric screwdriver. We're planning on using back heat for the baby corns I believe although I dont think they're be a problem if we decided to use belly heat. We might need to take a sander to the shelves to create a tiny bit more room but the flexwatt is pretty thin so I don't think it'll be an issue.
    ~Dexter Mason~

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule. - Clerks

Thanks

I'm pretty sure your back piece is called "hardboard". If so it's safe to lay flexwatt on. This is what we used for the backing on the two big melamine racks we've built and I checked with Rich at Reptile Basics before chosing this as an option to make sure it's fine to use with flexwatt laid directly on it if we went with back heat.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I wonder how well it will hold heat because of the open sides....

Thanks

do you still have your receipt? I would love to see what the name is of all the types of wood, this is certainly something we will consider making very soon (With baby bp and leos coming!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    I'm pretty sure your back piece is called "hardboard". If so it's safe to lay flexwatt on. This is what we used for the backing on the two big melamine racks we've built and I checked with Rich at Reptile Basics before chosing this as an option to make sure it's fine to use with flexwatt laid directly on it if we went with back heat.
    Thanks Jo, I didn't even think about having an issue with putting the flexwatt on it! I used it on my big melamine ball python rack as well.
    ~Dexter Mason~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADEE View Post
    I wonder how well it will hold heat because of the open sides....

Do you still have your receipt? I would love to see what the name is of all the types of wood, this is certainly something we will consider making very soon (With baby bp and leos coming!)

In terms of the open sides, I don't see it being an issue as I know many people who use "ladder racks" that are built in this stile and don't have an issue with them as long as you have flexwatt controlled by a thermostat. I don't have my receipt but really it could be done with any type of wood. Although depending on what type of animal you're housing, how much humidity it needs you may need to seal it. I can find out the type of wood the next time I'm at home depot. Really any type of wood will work, although I'd avoid wood that looks layered when you look at the side (where it's about an inch think) if it looks like it's layers I'd avoid it. Really you could use pine, poplar, oak, whatever you want that's in your price range.

Sometime in the near future I'm going to be picking up some oak I believe and building a "Hidden Display Rack" (ironic huh?) basically since we're running out of room to keep our herps we're going to build a quarantine rack for our living room but we don't want people to be able to see the snakes exactly so we're going to build a display rack that looks more like an armourer or tv cabinet with the doors closed and when you open it the tubs and such will be inside. We have also toyed with the idea of buying some kind of tv cabinet and just converting it to a rack. We'll see how that goes, anyway, hope this helps and I'll get you the info on the wood in the next few days.
    ~Dexter Mason~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast