Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 488

0 members and 488 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Protecting Your Collection Online

The staff here at BPNet has been discussing something of growing concern within our online herp community. With the advent of such clear digital photography and programs like Photoshop, it's become far too easy for images to be stolen, manipulated and used in scams.

We'd like to suggest you consider the following....

1) Watermarking all images you post online. There are a number of very easy to use, free programs that can help you place a watermark on your collections pictures. If you need any assistance with either finding one of these programs or learning how to use it, please let a staff member know.

2) Be careful about posting breeder paperwork. The sad fact is that a person looking to do a scam can take that clear picture of the paperwork you posted on a public forum, manipulate it to change the snake's picture, identification, whatever and within moments, they've created a fraudulent paper trail on a snake that either doesn't even exist in the first place or doesn't carry the stated genetics from the stated breeder.

3) Keep your own records of each snake in your collection including clear pictures from various angles and any markings that are unique to that snake. Keep copies of both watermarked and unwatermarked pictures in your files of your collection. Should the need arise, this will allow you to prove that a picture stolen from you is of a snake in your collection and is a picture you took of your own snake.

4) Do not believe that only big breeders get their pictures ripped off. Recently the trend seems to be to go after pictures from smaller breeder/hobbyists whose snakes might not be as quickly identified by the general snake community. It has happened to our BPNet members, don't let it happen to you next.

5) If you see a picture of a snake for sale and you believe this snake belongs to another person, follow it up with that person. Direct them to the sales ad so they are made aware that there is a possibility of a problem with the picture used.

The fact is that we can't stop every scammer who lifts a picture from the web but we can strive to make it more difficult for them to run their scams.
    ~~Joanna~~

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

5snakes (06-17-2010),Atrax (06-08-2011),axeman569 (04-05-2010),BallLuvinNaNa (06-15-2012),bamagecko76 (12-14-2009),broadude (04-05-2010),bsash (06-17-2010),DooLittle (03-03-2013),Holbeird (01-16-2009),jfreels (04-05-2010),Kysenia (04-12-2009),Seneschal (06-17-2010),youbeyouibei (03-05-2011)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Protecting Your Collection Online

How do you watermark photos? Is it possible for you guys to post a link to doing it on here?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    How do you watermark photos? Is it possible for you guys to post a link to doing it on here?
    Here is what I use FastStone Image Viewer 3.5, it is a free program that can be downloaded here http://faststone.org/

I also make sure to put the watermark in the middle on the animal so it cannot be cropped.

Some will argue that it takes away from the picture however I would rather have the watermark taking away from my picture than having someone using my picture to try to scam people.
    Last edited by JLC; 11-11-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: removed broken image
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

bamagecko76 (12-14-2009)

Thanks

Good advice ......... thanks
    Steve

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Watch for an upcoming sticky. One of our staff is currently working on a nice tutorial about watermarking.

Here's a couple of examples of the watermark I use done with that FastStone program....

Last edited by frankykeno; 09-06-2008 at 12:25 PM.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

I would love to do any watermarks for anyone who needs them. I have the newest version of photoshop and a lot of spare time! I won't steal your pictures as I think my Kyros is supreme! If I wanted pictures I would take them of him. All you need do is send your pics to Lunisticang3l666@aol.com and I will watermark them for you. Just give me the words you want to use to watermark it with along with your pictures. I need to do it with my snakes picture too and I want to help people so we all dont get scammed.
    ~*Luna*~ The crazy Sagittarius/Snake BP Lady
    Cal and Ki's Proud Mommy.
    ~~* Goddess Bless*~~
    1.0.0- Normal Ball Python (Kyros "Ki")
    0.1.0- Normal*Spider sibling*Ball Python(Calypso"Cal")
    1.0.0- Betta fish (Leonidas "Leo")
    Steve Irwin (2/22/62 - 9/4/06)
    Sagittarius- Shockingly blunt since the beginning of time!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It's also a good idea to have searchable database on your website so that anyone who is buying a snake and the seller claims that it's a het from me, they can go to my website and type in the serialnumber and get all the info about that snake along with pictures.

Follow us on Twitter or on Youtube

Thanks

As promised, here's a tutorial done by Deb on how to use one particular free program to watermark your pictures prior to posting them online. Thanks Deb, fantastic job!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=74550

The program used is found at http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Thanks for the info! I've already downloaded the program. But what would you guys recommend for say pictures you've already posted on the site? What would the easiest way to watermark those? I wasn't sure if it watermarked all my photos on my photobucket account if doing so would mess up the photos already posted? Any insight would be great!

Thanks!
    REPTILES: Ball Pythons, Bearded Dragons, Blue Tongue Skink, Corn Snakes, Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Mali Uromastyxs, Sulcata Tortoise, Tokay Geckos, Veiled Chameleons.
    FISH: African Cichlids, Rhino Pleco, Silver Dollars, Tiger Oscars
    MAMMALS: Miniture Pinschers, Cat, ASF's, boyfriend, me

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I'm not sure really - would probably be a good idea to test it by making a thread (in site info or off topic say) with a picture in it then watermarking and replacing the photobucket one to see if it still works.

Once your finished testing just PM any member of staff and we will delete the thread for you.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast