Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,109

2 members and 3,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: Whats your quarantine process?

Quote Originally Posted by John1982 View Post
    Your concern is justified. While reptile mites can't survive on mammals that doesn't stop them from hitching a ride on a less than ideal host.
    QFT. I've left reptile expos without a new critter, but found a mite on me later.

Thanks

incubation times for common BP pathogens

It seems like we have members who QT for anywhere from 1 month to 1 year.

I was wondering if there is a sense among members which pathogens have short incubation cycles and which have longer cycles. This information would not only help when deciding how long to QT but would help one know what things to keep an eye out for when they are further along in the QT process.

For example, if mites have a life cycle which makes their presence apparent in the first 6 weeks, it would be good to know that the focus should shift from looking for mites to looking for (??).

Does anyone have a list of the common ball python pathogens with their relative incubation times?

Thanks
    Which of the disease and infestations are airborne if any? Or is the concern mainly to separate ALL stuff including cleaning yourself in between collections to prevent things from crawling and/or riding between two snakes?

I'm in a situation where I can't QT in a separate room, because I'm only allowed one room. Thankfully, right now I only have one snake I really want to protect, so at least I am not risking a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calmolly1 View Post
    Ok I've read through this sticky and I'm glad I did before adding any other snakes! But my concern is that the exotic pet store we buy our feeder mice from. We go there A LOT! Just to look and dream mostly, lol, but it's where we buy our feeder mice from. We bring them home and within a day or two, whenever she is ready, feed our BP. Yesterday we visited to pick out her new enclosure and also looked at all the snakes. I started noticing almost everyone had mites! I pointed this out to the owner who immediately removed them to be treated. We didn't buy a mouse yesterday, as she just ate. I've searched online but can't find any information whether mites are species specific or can they transfer from mice. I'm terrified that Prec has got them now! I don't see any but she is in shed and wants to be left alone. I bought some spray they recommended but they said wait til she finishes shed. So can she catch them from the mice we feed her gotten form this store, as they seem to have a infestation? It has sure put a damper on adding a red tailed boa to our home for now.

Molly & Precioucess
    I wouldnt buy substrate from a store with an infestation either.

Just like you, I walked into a local pet store that has a relatively large reptile collection. I was looking over the snakes for sale, and noticed an aquarium with spider bp's, and baby boas housed together. Obviously not a good combination. I noticed mites on the spider BP's, but not the boas.
    Its clear that mites can hitch a ride on your clothes to your car, or even worse, your house.
    So this got me thinking, there's a good chance the substrate is infested as well.

Then i realized this could be the case at any pet store that sells substrate. What can a snake owner do to make sure that you dont contaminate your collection with infested substrate? Would freezing the substrate kill the mites? Is it safer to buy substrate from a supplier that doesnt sell snakes too?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hijacked View Post
    Then i realized this could be the case at any pet store that sells substrate. What can a snake owner do to make sure that you dont contaminate your collection with infested substrate? Would freezing the substrate kill the mites? Is it safer to buy substrate from a supplier that doesnt sell snakes too?
    Mites and eggs can't survive being frozen, or temperatures over 150*F for more than a few seconds. So, you can store the substrate outside, and either freeze it or bake what you're about to use.

Thanks

I started a big tub that I fill a week prior to complete substrate change that I sprayed with reptile spray and let sit. Putting it outside here in GA will only work if temps fall below freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    In the last few years some highly respected vets have suggested that some truly nasty and scary virus could have incubation periods much longer than originally thought. I would suggest that 3 months be a minimum and 6 to 12 months be a better and safer period.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Whats your quarantine process?

Quote Originally Posted by Mochelem View Post
    Im just curious what everybody's quarantine process is when you aquire new snakes. And how long do you keep them in QT?
    Unfortunately I don't quarantine new additions unless I see or hear suspicious things. I always pay attention to all of my charges. I see that I have been naïve and somewhat negligent in the quarantine department. Thank you for addressing this topic. I am glad I haven't had more illnesses or fatalities in my stock. I will have to be more vigilant and change my practices. Stay in peace and not pieces. A.C.

Thanks
    I know that longer is better, but as there been any "study" of what time is optimal without taking too much time?

I seem to see 3 months a lot but some say 6, as there been instances where someone who did 3 months quarabtine got an infestation or diseases?
    Fall 2015 :
    "I'll only get one" I said, cuddling a bp hatchling "See how it goes"
    Two months later :
    2 adults, 2 juveniles and 1 bci.
    "Oops"
    Next month :
    Conquering the world

Thanks
    bump!

Inquiring mind here!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast