Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

0 members and 2,861 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BallLuvinNaNa View Post
    Heavily Addicted to Ball pythons... But.... Is all goood
    1.0 Albino ; 0.1 Bumble-Bee ; 1.1 Lesser Platinum ; 1.0 Clown ; 1.1 Butter ; 1.1 Caramel Albino ; 1.0 Pied ; 0.1 Pastel ; 1.1 Lemon Blast ; 1.0 Super Blast

I'm incredibly new to owning a ball python. I don't know a whole lot about morphs vs normals...or anything much about BP's at all. My fiance and I bought our 5 yr old grandson an 18" normal BP a couple of weeks ago.

My question to you is this: "What do the numbers with decimal points after the type of morph indicate?" Example: 1.0 Albino; 0.1 Bumble-Bee; etc. I've seen multiple users on this site post names and numbers at the end of their posts...I gather it has something to do with the snakes in their own personal collections....but what exactly does "1.1" indicate vs "0.25". Any answer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

NaNa
    They are the quantity of which sex. First digit is males, second is female, third is unknown sex.

2.6.1 would be two males, six females, one unknown sex.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

BallLuvinNaNa (06-14-2012)

Thanks

Re: Whats your quarantine process?

Quote Originally Posted by West Coast Jungle View Post
    Darn, those quarantined snakes must be rocking out!
    Last edited by apple2; 06-14-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mochelem View Post
    Im just curious what everybody's quarantine process is when you aquire new snakes. And how long do you keep them in QT?
    Hello,
    With 30 plus years handling Exotic Birds,Fish<Mammals.....
    I just started with my Ball Collection last week !!! ' YAY !.LOL
    My quarantine is 30 days MINIMUM. I also use SEPARATE in each container/ tank set up with the supplies needed.

RUBBERMAIDS are the perfect Ball Python containers due to the humidity that comes along to housing the snakes.

FEEDING: SEPARATE feeding of new arrivals. FRESH KILLED rats are recommended.

HANDLING: When handling snakes...WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE going to handle your next snake. Just GOOD hygiene practice.

Ball Pythons live about 20 to 30 years old in CAPTIVITY.

" I ALWAYS find new information and more ideas with Snake Husbandry. I LOVE the journey of this other end of the spectrum."

PERSONAL OPINION: " The best snake......period."

Thanks
    Okay I am in the process of getting new reptiles. I currently only have one ball python, so I am fairly new with the quarantine process. I have read through this forum, but I still have concerns. Well before I get into my concerns I'll say I am buying a Blue Tongue Skink, and possibly a new snake. Now my concerns are

1. My quarantine room will be next door, from my other snake.
    2. Do I need to shower, and change clothes each time I go in and out different room?

Thanks

Re: The quarantine process

Quote Originally Posted by Druzy View Post
    Okay I am in the process of getting new reptiles. I currently only have one ball python, so I am fairly new with the quarantine process. I have read through this forum, but I still have concerns. Well before I get into my concerns I'll say I am buying a Blue Tongue Skink, and possibly a new snake. Now my concerns are

1. My quarantine room will be next door, from my other snake.
    2. Do I need to shower, and change clothes each time I go in and out different room?
    You have to do the best you can with what you have. The main point is that you have to have spcial precaution when dealing with your collection & QT snakes. My QT area is in a different room, but on the same floor.

For some people, yes they won't go into the same room without changing clothes or taking shower. Keep in mind some people have thousands of dollars worth of snakes. Do you really want to risk losing all of that invested time and money because a new snake pass something on to all others.
    Hitman3303
    Collection:

1.0 Clown
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Leopard
    1.0 Fire
    1.0 Enchi
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Bumblebee
    0.3 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    0.1 Butter
    0.1 Orange Ghost
    0.4 Normal Ball Python (Normal het. clown)

Thanks
    Okay so I've done some searching and have a question... It seems to be a common agreement to QT all new snakes just to be safe. I currently have 1 snake from PetCo. He was never quarantined, though. In about a month I'm getting a T8 and possibly another snake. I'm assuming at the very least I need to QT the new guy? Also, I live in a very small apartment. And sadly the only other room I can keep it in is a common room. I really want to get another snake but am a little concerned as to how and with what I can QT the snake with...

Thanks for any help

Thanks
    Sorry for double post... Can't edit above post.. But if all goes well I should have a new JogSaw coming in a month or so. Since I live in an apartment where I have no other room to keep the snake what would be the best option?

My best idea was to let me friend watch my current BP while I keep the new one for a couple months in my room... I'm getting a new T8 and cleaning supplies before I get the new snake so I'll be able to put it in a completely new enclosure and my current BP will stay in his current..

Think this would be my best bet?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: The quarantine process

A friend of mine who has no other animals in his home QT's all of my new ones for 90 days. It works out since it limits the number of new acquisitions (and thus the affect on my wallet), and his wife is not a snake person but is ok with them being in the house if she knows they will be leaving soon.

Thanks

Ok I've read through this sticky and I'm glad I did before adding any other snakes! But my concern is that the exotic pet store we buy our feeder mice from. We go there A LOT! Just to look and dream mostly, lol, but it's where we buy our feeder mice from. We bring them home and within a day or two, whenever she is ready, feed our BP. Yesterday we visited to pick out her new enclosure and also looked at all the snakes. I started noticing almost everyone had mites! I pointed this out to the owner who immediately removed them to be treated. We didn't buy a mouse yesterday, as she just ate. I've searched online but can't find any information whether mites are species specific or can they transfer from mice. I'm terrified that Prec has got them now! I don't see any but she is in shed and wants to be left alone. I bought some spray they recommended but they said wait til she finishes shed. So can she catch them from the mice we feed her gotten form this store, as they seem to have a infestation? It has sure put a damper on adding a red tailed boa to our home for now.

Molly & Precioucess

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calmolly1 View Post
    Ok I've read through this sticky and I'm glad I did before adding any other snakes! But my concern is that the exotic pet store we buy our feeder mice from. We go there A LOT! Just to look and dream mostly, lol, but it's where we buy our feeder mice from. We bring them home and within a day or two, whenever she is ready, feed our BP. Yesterday we visited to pick out her new enclosure and also looked at all the snakes. I started noticing almost everyone had mites! I pointed this out to the owner who immediately removed them to be treated. We didn't buy a mouse yesterday, as she just ate. I've searched online but can't find any information whether mites are species specific or can they transfer from mice. I'm terrified that Prec has got them now! I don't see any but she is in shed and wants to be left alone. I bought some spray they recommended but they said wait til she finishes shed. So can she catch them from the mice we feed her gotten form this store, as they seem to have a infestation? It has sure put a damper on adding a red tailed boa to our home for now.

Molly & Precioucess
    Your concern is justified. While reptile mites can't survive on mammals that doesn't stop them from hitching a ride on a less than ideal host.
    Last edited by John1982; 09-14-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast