Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

1 members and 2,886 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Thanks

Thanks!

Great advice. I owned a bp in my teens(I'm now in my late 20s) and never had an issue with bad sheds, but I recently bought a male ghost bp after years of not owning any snakes and he started shedding about a week ago. I noticed it wasn't coming off the way it should be so I did a quick Google search and came across this forum. So today I tried this out and it helped tremendously I would say 95% of the shed came off. Thanks again and I'm glad I came across this site !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ro1218 For This Useful Post:

Mofire (01-16-2017),Zincubus (01-08-2017)

Thanks

Bad Shed

As you mention in your post about bad shed, I like it and its new thing for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Bad shed? No problem.

One of the important parts of the process described mentions wiping it over with a wet hand cloth but I've had great success with dampened , rough textured bath towel . So after the soak , ideally with the container in it's Viv / rub so the water doesn't get cold .... Anyways have the wet , rough textured bath towel and you wrap the snake up in the towel and let the snake continually slither through the towel for a while , applying very gentle pressure with your hands ... if it's head pops out then gently cover it up and continue to let it slither ...

Generally all the shed skin comes off on the towel but it's a gentle way of doing it . I'm not a fan of the peeling off with your fingers method at all ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

I know this was posted a while ago but this is very helpful. I bought my snake during a stuck shed. I got some shed ease and that worked for his body but not his neck and head. I will be trying this for the rest of the shed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    This post might be ten years old, but it's still perfectly relevant information. Thanks so much for the pictures and step by step guide. My little girl has shed several times since we have had her with no problems but when we bought her we were informed that she'd had problems in the past with bad sheds so we were very careful around shedding time. Recently i purchased a reptile humidifier so i could more consistently maintain the humidity levels and adjust them when needed. When I noticed she was shedding I turned it up, but I'm guessing I turned it up too far. That coupled with a relatively empty tank (fighting off some very stubborn scale mites so all she had were lightweight plastic hides) resulted in a very patchy incomplete shed. I'll soak her today when it gets a bit warmer but I have a lot of confidence that this will do the trick.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to samallama For This Useful Post:

dr del (10-12-2018)

Thanks

Thank you for the information. I'm a fairly new ball python owner and reading all the time on how to care for him. He had a bad shed and your process worked well. The only issue that I had, was that when he was in the water he kept his head and about 3 inches of neck out of the water. When I gave him a gentle washing he was pretty good about it but head shy. He still has a little bit of shed stuck to his neck right behind his head. He doesn't like that area touched so is it OK just to leave that little bit of shed on him?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brambow View Post
    Thank you for the information. I'm a fairly new ball python owner and reading all the time on how to care for him. He had a bad shed and your process worked well. The only issue that I had, was that when he was in the water he kept his head and about 3 inches of neck out of the water. When I gave him a gentle washing he was pretty good about it but head shy. He still has a little bit of shed stuck to his neck right behind his head. He doesn't like that area touched so is it OK just to leave that little bit of shed on him?
    This is a touchy subject with some

Over here in the U.K. it's fairly common to soak after a bad shed or if you take over a snake with stubborn shed or even dehydrated.

In the states you seem to let them swish about in a few inches of water but that seems allows them to have most of their body out of the water and you end up with your situation.. I'm in the U.K and rightly or wrongly I was told to get a well fitting container and lid , put loads of air holes in the lid , fill the container up to within an inch or so of the top and slide the snake in with the lid half on .

The snake will swish about for about 30 seconds but soon relax .
    I stay with it for 25 minutes ( cover with a towel to help keep it calm ) .

Then as I described in my previous post have a damp , rough textured towel on hand to dry it slowly .. taking off all the dead skin gently .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

I just experienced my first shed. He successfully got all of the shed off of him, with the exception of a very small patch on the top of his upper tail. I gave him a soak for 20 minutes, and then gently held his tail in a warm cloth with some very slow rubbing...nothing. I could tell he was getting annoyed so I let him be.

Sure enough I find this thread and I realize I probably should have left him in there longer.

My question is; will a very small patch of stuck shed on the back of a tail eventually come off, or will it require further soaking? I don't mind doing it, but is it possible it comes off on it's own? It's not a sleeve over his tail....just a small patch. I guess I'm asking more for my snake than me, b/c I can tell he doesn't like it, but I'm happy to do it if recommended.

Also, exactly what temps should someone use? I put him in around 90 degrees and put him under the CHE which kept the water temps at 87....but is that too cold?

Thanks

I personally like the humidity hide. My boy Harley has patchy sheds... I started adding a humidity hide when his eyes turn blue... he goes in and out as he pleases...and comes out a couple days later with a perfect shed....

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Thanks

I spray the vivs fairly randomly but daily when they go into shed mode... as soon as the eyes clear I up the spraying to a few times daily and get perfect sheds every single time ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast