Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

2 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pine bedding, is it really that bad?

I've read a lot of mixed reviews about pine bedding. I understand the hazards of using pine, but I haven't read real proof that it will kill your animals. In fact, on a few websites, they say there is almost no connection to the death of rats and klin dried pine.

Can someone give me some concrete facts? Anyone have experience?

Thanks

Re: Pine bedding, is it really that bad?

I use Kiln dried pine made for horses. It works great. I've been doing it for years without any problems.

Thanks

Yes, I can say I have experience... I have many rats, and have tried pine once way back in the beginning. Rats that were kept on pine had more sinus and respiratory problems overall. I had to treat at once 4 rats for severe RI's for a over a month. I was just starting out and I refused to bring in any more rats due to quarantine procedures.

Once I removed my colony from pine to aspen, they cleared up almost immediately and I have no longer experienced any sniffles, sneezes or coughing. Their eyes are free and clear, and they just plain look in better health and shape.

I choose to not use pine, not only for the detrimental issues with their sinuses and respiratory systems, but also because I need the best and strongest animals in my colony.

I too have read the few websites that talk about the use of pine, and only one comes to mind that challenges the common told problems when it comes to pine. I found it to be confusing and not well written in regards to pine and the studies they quoted, however I do trust the papers that show an elevated level on enzymes in the liver of small animals, which will lead to liver disease and liver failure.

Many people do not see the full life expectancy of rats, with most burning out at one year of age from many breedings and poor air quality from bedding choices.

Yes, I also know that many respected labs and suppliers keep their animals on pine, even kiln dried labratory grade pine, but I have never used it and cannot comment on it's quality.

These are a few of the sites that I have personally read, and overall, I choose not to use pine for the reasons stated above and in these writings.

The only pine I use are pellets, and they do not have the same intensity or raw material as regular kiln dried pine shavings.

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/guine...odshavings.htm
    http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html
    http://www.rabbit.org/care/shavings.html
    http://www.afrma.org/rminfo2a.htm
    http://www.ratsrule.com/cedar.html <---- listing of medical studies that are good to read
    http://www.anapsid.org/cedar2.html <--- has links to many articles outlining different effects or the lack of effects of pine and cedar on different animals.
    If I have time, I may look up the studies in particular and link back.
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 09-02-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks

I use pine for my Rats, Mice and ASF colonies. I've een using pine since 05 when I started breeding my own feeders. I've never had a problem. Aspen is too expensive, in my opinion, if you are running large colonies of rodents.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the info! I've kept my pet rats on recyled paper for the last few years, and my breeders on pine bedding for the last few months. I haven't had any problems yet and I'm glad to hear people won't bash me when they find out I use pine bedding.

LarryPetty, I have been looking into horse pine bedding because we have horses and I'm glad to know I can use that for the rats! Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    LarryPetty, I have been looking into horse pine bedding because we have horses and I'm glad to know I can use that for the rats! Thanks!
    The brand I get has fine, med and large chips. I get the fine. I tried the others but didn't like it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LarryPetty View Post
    The brand I get has fine, med and large chips. I get the fine. I tried the others but didn't like it.
    Thanks! I'll have to look into it! I know the stuff we have for the horses is large chips, that's just a bit much for rats

Thanks

I've used pine and shredded newspaper for close to 3 years and have not noticed any problems.
    Laurie

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've kept hundreds of rats and mice for many years now on both pine and aspen. I can honestly say I haven't noticed a difference between the two. I currently use aspen because it's cheaper and it seems to be more absorbent though I think absorbency has more to do with how dry the wood is to begin with then what type of wood it is. I also think that respiratory problems have more to do with ventilation then with wood type.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marmie View Post
    I've used pine and shredded newspaper for close to 3 years and have not noticed any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I've kept hundreds of rats and mice for many years now on both pine and aspen. I can honestly say I haven't noticed a difference between the two. I currently use aspen because it's cheaper and it seems to be more absorbent though I think absorbency has more to do with how dry the wood is to begin with then what type of wood it is. I also think that respiratory problems have more to do with ventilation then with wood type.
    Awesome!!! That's great to know! I'm switching to larger tubs with 1 side and the top cut out for welded wire. Right now they are in tanks and rat cages.

What's the best way to cut open a storage tub? I have a soldering iron, but that takes WAY too long. Maybe a saw?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast